Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Leather Holters for packing/hiking revolvers, you like

Banned

Leather Holters for packing/hiking revolvers, you like

Leather Holters for packing/hiking revolvers

Im shopping for a holster for my Uberti short stroke CMS 3 1/2"

Right side carry for hiking /packing

Not looking for high $$$ ,

I have a Simply Rugged pancake but I dont like it because it uncomfortable and its hard to get the gun in and out, the way its designed

Ive been shopping around looking at a few

Recommendations ? ?

I like Hunters 1100 series for hunting and farm carry both. I'm assuming that your Uberti is a 73 clone, there should be something that fits. Maybe an online bay search? I wear mine over my front right jeans pocket so I can get on and off the tractor with out hanging up on anything.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Banned
    Yeah,,, Uberti- 1873 colt clone with 3 1/2" barrel

Looking for Makers or companies to look at online
    Last edited by GSP7; 03-04-2020 at 02:30 PM.

Your original idea about a pancake or high ride holster was a good one, as it allows for sitting down without stubbing the muzzle end of the holster into the ground, log, rock, whatever. The Hunter brand holsters are a good value for the money (I have 2 or 3 myself) but will hang lower. Assuming that you're carrying a backpack, then maybe an across the chest holster would serve you better as it would provide instant access. Some leather models are available, but most are the black nylon for flexibility.

I Like my---- Diamond D Custom leather----Alaska---Attachment 257958 holster with the drop attachment it puts the grip right were i want it for Hiking. and if the holster is more money than you want to spend you can use a Hunter brand holster with the drop attachment.
    A Boy in a Old Man's Body. I Shoulda Been a Cowboy

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	140F05AD-57C3-40CC-9C94-6DCF4F2E0FC2.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	60.6 KB 
ID:	257964

Name:	140F05AD-57C3-40CC-9C94-6DCF4F2E0FC2.jpg 
Size:	60.6 KB 
ID:	257964My[ATTACH=CONFIG]257964[/ATTACH
    MY “Evil Roy Cimmaron carries well in this Mernickle

FWIW, I prefer nylon/Cordua holsters to leather holsters for packing/hiking because they are lighter, not as noisy (creaking at importune times) as leather, and they don't need as much care as leather.

This Crossman (yeah, I know) holster cost me all of $10 (https://www.amazon.com/Crosman-SAH02.../dp/B000HWV7OE ), and I couldn't be happier for those uses (YMMV) - I uually keep a folding knife in the attached magazine pouch.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    I use an old duty holster with a simple thumb snap. It works great for me when I'm using a heavy backpack with a frame. Way better than any shoulder holster I've tried. Everybody's different though, so what works for me may not work for someone else, and vice versa.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    When I was packing a lot and needed bear protection, I had one custom made that set right in the middle of my chest. Any other shoulder types always got in the way of the pack straps. It worked very well and carried six extra rounds.

Boolit Grand Master
    I made a leather flap holster for a couple of my (and friends) revolvers. I prefer the protection it gives the gun.

Boolit Master

I bought about 6 california slim jims oklahoma leather for single actions pistols liked the style bought some for blackhawks and for uberti saa clones touch longer then barrels keeps dirt and stuff out when camping or hunting , rides well for me and you can put a leather thong on for hammer if you want , works for me and was about the cheapest also .

I like an open top pancake holster for general carry. Generally have to be custom made for something like that however. Here is one I made for my SBH http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Holster-I-made I am going to do a better one and give it more angle but other than that it's comfy. One of the things I like about a pancake holster for a cowboy gun is that it'll conceal reasonably well should I need to stop by the store for something.

Boolit Master

THIS!!!

DD makes a great holster. I have the pilot style. Just got another last week for my RUGER Single Seven.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Grand Master

All my favorite's seem to be marked Bianchi .
    Most recent is a Bianchi 1L Lawman for a Ruger Blackhawk single action 6 1/2" barrel in brown leather
    cost was about $70.00 and very pleased with fit and finish .

Something else I really like is the safety strap...comes around , snaps securely and when your walking through the woods gun stays put.
    I don't care for holsters that only depend on a friction fit...too hard to get out and too hard to reholster... give me the strap and snap .
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 03-12-2020 at 12:37 PM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master

Name:	IMG_3784.jpg 
Size:	102.9 KB 
ID:	258559Attachment 258560Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0801.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	104.6 KB 
ID:	258561
    These are what I use, depending on the location where I am ambling. Now in my neck of the woods, grizzly bears are about as common as honest politicians, but the short barreled 44 mag might be a friend in deed, were I to encounter one.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Quote Originally Posted by GSP7 View Post
    Leather Holters for packing/hiking revolvers

Im shopping for a holster for my Uberti short stroke CMS 3 1/2"

Right side carry for hiking /packing

Not looking for high $$$ ,

I have a Simply Rugged pancake but I dont like it because it uncomfortable and its hard to get the gun in and out, the way its designed

Ive been shopping around looking at a few

Recommendations ? ?

I have a simply rugged pancake holster too. After a short break in period the gun goes in and out of the holster nicely. I too found the holster not very comfortable. I bought the chest straps and an much happier now. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	68D2E47E-6DFF-474C-AC89-B55AA39E7AAB.jpg 
Size:	62.2 KB 
ID:	258576
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

I like the Simply Rugged Cattleman for Belt carry, and the sourdough pancake with the chesty puller harness when I’m wearing a pack.

Banned
    I bought my new Holster from John Tidmore in Texas

This guy makes a very nice, quality holster at a great price

Name:	IMG-2003-1.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	117.8 KB 
ID:	258843

First I will say that holsters are all about fit. I've found what works for some folks will not work for others. I am a semi-pro holster maker (I do not advertise, but I do commissions).

There are a few guidelines. For most guys 5'10" to 6'1" any revolver with a >6" barrel will be difficult to operate in a high ride, strong side position. Your short little single action should be easy. High ride strong side is a fast and comfortable position with medium weight revolvers, so I am assuming that is what you want.

With a single action lacking a transfer bar (I believe Ubertis are this way) then you should have some sort of protection for the hammer IMO. At least I would refuse to build a holster for this gun without it. Flap holsters offer not only hammer protection, but also a good retention system and dust cover. They are also faster than thongs or straps. Only a Bianchi-type thumbsnap or open top is faster. And admittedly thumbsaps look silly with SAs.

Here is picture of a convertible strong-side/crossdraw Flap type holster I made for my M19 with a 4" barrel.

I generally dislike pancake type holsters, and Simply Ruggeds in particular. They are excessively large and heavy and if you are not obese are probably not going to fit well with a large revolver (too much bend at the hip).
    Last edited by curioushooter; 03-20-2020 at 12:45 PM.

Name:	EDB43C2E-4E56-4707-84FD-431A2065A47D.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	67.8 KB 
ID:	258872
    Like the flap. Snaps fail more easily than Sam Brown studs

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast