Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad Data
Inline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2Wideners
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Leather Holters for packing/hiking revolvers, you like

Boolit Master
    That's something I have not seen before Castaway , can you holster on half cock and get the thong under the hammer?

Boolit Master
    That's something I have not seen before Castaway , can you holster on half cock and get the thong under the hammer? Looks a little scary .

“Thong” sits fully down in hammer slot. Lowering hammer, the firing pin slips right in. Not as difficult as you might think.

I think the flexibility is key to comfort with the widely spaced belt slots .
    I think you're onto something with this, Onelight. I measure 36/32 now. I used to be 32/32. I have not found any pancake to date comfortable, but they were all pretty stiff. Simply Rugged's are usually stiff.

I am trying to figure out why there is stitching on the back of the thumbbreak. Is it two thin pieces of leather sewn together, so the holster is in fact 3-piece not 2-piece like a typical pancake.

I know roy baker was the one who invented the pancake, or is thought to be. I've never encountered a genuine. I have used Simply Rugged's and Galco's and DeSantis's finding them all very much wanting. I need to find leather with those properties though. Do you think it's 7 or 8 or 9 oz? Ever mic it?

Castaway...that is a pretty clever way to block the hammer, however, would it not require hammering back to release from the holster while the firearm is pointed down at your toe...a massive NO NO? OR does it manage to pull away somehow?
    Last edited by curioushooter; 04-04-2020 at 03:46 PM.

It can be freed without going to the half-cock notch, allowing hammer to be fully down upon drawing if desired

Curiousshooter, tried to upload a video showing drawing without cocking but not smart enough to do it. PM me your email and I’ll shoot it your way

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by curioushooter View Post
    I think you're onto something with this, Onelight. I measure 36/32 now. I used to be 32/32. I have not found any pancake to date comfortable, but they were all pretty stiff. Simply Rugged's are usually stiff.

I am trying to figure out why there is stitching on the back of the thumbbreak. Is it two thin pieces of leather sewn together, so the holster is in fact 3-piece not 2-piece like a typical pancake.

I know roy baker was the one who invented the pancake, or is thought to be. I've never encountered a genuine. I have used Simply Rugged's and Galco's and DeSantis's finding them all very much wanting. I need to find leather with those properties though. Do you think it's 7 or 8 or 9 oz? Ever mic it?

Castaway...that is a pretty clever way to block the hammer, however, would it not require hammering back to release from the holster while the firearm is pointed down at your toe...a massive NO NO? OR does it manage to pull away somehow?
    The leather is not as thick as I was thinking it is a little over 1/8 thick.
    The stitching on the thumb break is to make it double thick so it will unsnap easily .
    I think not using die and applying only neatsfoot oil for finish would give it the flexibility it needs to be comfortable.
    I normally use rubber cement on the front and back of the holster mating surfaces befor stitching but would not if going for the flexibility like the RoyBaker
    Last edited by onelight; 04-04-2020 at 06:14 PM.

Boolit Master
    Duplicate post. Oops
    Last edited by onelight; 04-04-2020 at 06:12 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Mr. curioushooter- In his books Keith describes that hammer-blocking leather strip (also holds the revolver in place) and he states that it is workable because he never draws a single action revolver without cocking the hammer during the draw; and that he does not know anybody who doesn't do this. Different times maybe (maybe not).

he never draws a single action revolver without cocking the hammer during the draw;
    This is potentially hazardous. And it would DQ you from most competition (not that a single action revolver would be competitive) and probably get you banned from most ranges (certainly one where I was in charge) if you insisted on this behavior.. You cock a revolver (ANY REVOLVER) when it is aimed and the muzzle is pointed towards whatever it is you want to shoot. The fastest shooters in the world have proven this is no disadvantage and results in the fastest shots on target. Hollywood baloney is that...baloney! This is what, the first commandment of shooting or something. It should roll marked into the side of every single action revolver made or imported IMO.

I have not read what you describe in Sixguns. Perhaps it was in another book or I missed it? Chapter and verse, please? I think it is a bad idea to attempt to compensate for design deficiencies in a firearm with a holster anyway, and for many (mostly obvious) reasons.

Keith, like myself, clearly preferred the S&W anyway, writing a whole chapter on double action shooting and its merits. I for the life of me cannot understand why anyone would choose to have a single action only revolver let alone one that can't safely hold a full cylinder.

One of the handful of things I never understood is the claim that single actions are somehow faster on the first shot. They are not faster on the first shot. And this is obvious. It is of course provable as well. All revolver speed shooting records have been accomplished with S&Ws used in double action...first shot to whatever...it doesn't matter. Arguments against this inevitably get sucked into a black hole of people stating their arbitrary personal preference as received wisdom or some Sanctimonious Higher Inner Truth.
    Last edited by curioushooter; 04-04-2020 at 08:43 PM.

Boolit Master
    Here’s a pic of my well worn Roy Baker pancake for my Combat Commander. The leather thickness is .150”. I don’t know how that relates to ounces. It’s my favorite field holster but I use this Ken Null for carry (most comfortable IWB I’ve found). Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01DEE02A-82C0-4BD4-AB8B-20BC71D09A01.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	64.1 KB 
ID:	259772

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EB62ACA4-FADE-4480-BCCE-C6B612D72304.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	71.3 KB 
ID:	259773

Oops, here’s the Null

Boolit Master
    My woods kit for a lot of years was BP rifle ,shotgun and handguns .
    Here are some accessories left over from those days.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10A96614-EF6B-40EF-B4D4-AF757FBA03EF.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	53.8 KB 
ID:	259784

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234