RepackboxRotoMetals2Inline FabricationWideners
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad Data
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keeping zinc wheel weights separate from other “junk” weights- is it really worth it?

Vendor Sponsor

Keeping zinc wheel weights separate from other “junk” weights- is it really worth it?

Does the scrap price of zinc make it worth while to separate it out of my other junk weights? Right now I only have about half of a 5 gallon bucket full of junk weights so it would be that hard to separate the zinc out. I’m just not sure how much you actually get for zinc weights compared to what you would get if you didn’t sort it out. I know the going rate for scrap zinc is about $1/lb right now but do you actually get that?

Many thanks,
    B

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Happiness is a warm .45

Boolit Master
    Probably a big price difference between scrap zinc and scrap zinc wheel weights. Check the scrap price for WW and you will have a more accurate idea of what the scrap yards will pay. It may be that there is a bigger value from folks that use the zinc ww for ballast or counter weights.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bantou View Post
    Does the scrap price of zinc make it worth while to separate it out of my other junk weights? Right now I only have about half of a 5 gallon bucket full of junk weights so it would be that hard to separate the zinc out. I’m just not sure how much you actually get for zinc weights compared to what you would get if you didn’t sort it out. I know the going rate for scrap zinc is about $1/lb right now but do you actually get that?

Many thanks,
    B

All recyclers around Atlanta treat tire shop wheel weights as mixed and pay about $.10/pound. I doubt you’ll find a scrap yard that will go through the trouble of paying extra for zinc. Pick out the lead and take the rest to the scrapper. Actually, I’ve had some classify it as “shred” because of all the steel in it. Shred is going for $0.05/pound here.

Quote Originally Posted by RydForLyf View Post
    All recyclers around Atlanta treat tire shop wheel weights as mixed and pay about $.10/pound. I doubt you’ll find a scrap yard that will go through the trouble of paying extra for zinc. Pick out the lead and take the rest to the scrapper. Actually, I’ve had some classify it as “shred” because of all the steel in it. Shred is going for $0.05/pound here.
    Yes, what he said. What is your time worth?

Boolit Grand Master

I don't know because I haven't sold any weights yet. I'll know pretty soon because I'm fixing to make a run with some brass and copper. I keep the steel and zinc separate because its easy enough to do while I'm sorting out the lead weights. I've also sold the clips before.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    I don't know because I haven't sold any weights yet. I'll know pretty soon because I'm fixing to make a run with some brass and copper. I keep the steel and zinc separate because its easy enough to do while I'm sorting out the lead weights. I've also sold the clips before.
    Just yesterday I took over 300 pounds to the recycler. Total check $16.20. At least it’s better than a sharp stick in the eye.

Moderator Emeritus

I see zinc ingots (cast from WW) listed on fleabay for about $2 per lb, in small qualities...and one ad was $89 for 60 lbs shipped.

btw, American zinc WW's are cast from Zamak 3 which has 3 to 4% aluminum...most of the fleabay ads say "pure zinc" ingots, then in the description it will say cast from WWs...which is false advertising.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

I made slingshot balls.out of.mine for the kids

Boolit Master
    The irony is that there is legislation proposed in California that may ban lead containing ammunition from ranges in the state. If it happens, there may be a sudden surge in interest in those previously undesirable zinkers.

Boolit Master
    I keep my zinc weights and sell them usually get $0.25 to $0.50 per lb depending on who buys them.

Vendor Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin c View Post
    The irony is that there is legislation proposed in California that may ban lead containing ammunition from ranges in the state. If it happens, there may be a sudden surge in interest in those previously undesirable zinkers.
    Maybe I’ll separate them out and start making ingots then. Could be a good way to capitalize on what would otherwise be trash.

Happiness is a warm .45

If one sorts out the zinc and steel weights before melting then why not direct the waste ones into a bucket for steel and a bucket for zinc? I mean you have them in your hand, you just hit them with the nippers and they aren't lead, zinc will almost always be marked Zn and steel is magnetic so a magnet next to you can resolve the steel from zinc at a touch.

It won't be big money but it helps. Between zinc and some buckets of steel clips I got enough to pay the door charge at a local gun show. And I was going to the yard anyway for lead so wasn't even an extra trip. If you want top money for zinc you would have to melt the clips out and take in zinc ingots. Anything mixed drops the value and if the "primary" metal with value isn't terribly valuable in the first place.... pure lead gets you twice as much as lead with a chunk of steel in it.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bantou View Post
    Maybe I’ll separate them out and start making ingots then. Could be a good way to capitalize on what would otherwise be trash.

It'd make visiting California tire shops with donuts worthwhile again, but, honestly, I'm not really hoping for that opportunity.

Boolit Master
    https://www.rotometals.com/zamak-3-i...num-4-zinc-96/

Zamak 3 Ingot (Aluminum 4%, Zinc 96%)

4.00 LBS $14.55 $3.84 per/lb

Vendor Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by NyFirefighter357 View Post
    https://www.rotometals.com/zamak-3-i...num-4-zinc-96/

Zamak 3 Ingot (Aluminum 4%, Zinc 96%)

4.00 LBS $14.55 $3.84 per/lb
    Good to know. That means if I’m lucky I’ll get $.50 per pound if I take the time to melt them down and turn them into ingots. Not a bad return on “junk”

Happiness is a warm .45

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    I had a discussion with a senior member on here about using Zinc to harden lead alloy!! Before you set fire to me, let me explain. .5% up to 1% was what he recommended to “ toughen up “ your alloy.After 1% is when you get the dreaded “ oatmeal “ scenario.
    I’m thinking higher velocity .30 caliber boolits here. Plus powdercoated, might be worth trying a small batch. ( I’m going to need a fire extinguisher now from getting flamed). Oh, and I have a bunch of Zn weights , so......................
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Boolit Grand Master

I think another long time member here did some experiments and says up to 5% is ok. I'm noting your .5% and am wondering if I have mis-remembered or not. That durned decimal point, ya know!

For now, I have enough wheel weights to do so I'll skip the zinc. Down the road this may be useful information.

Boolit Buddy
    In my area, central KS, scrap anything is not worth much. I took some cast out of a house, cut down two really heavy metal clothes lines, pulled some old wire out of a rental and had a couple buckets of metal weights and clips along with some copper pipe. The copper brought 7.50 and all together it brought around $26. Paid for my gas but about it and I had a place to get rid of the stuff. In my experience, scrap yards aren't going to pay much, especially right now, and they really don't take time to see what you have, they just take it and give you a low price.

I did ask a guy at Sam's the other day what they did with their wheel weights and it said a manufacturer came by and picked them to manufacturer them. I sad recycle and he said no, they reuse them.

I bought a bunch of lead ww off eBay only to get 3/4 zinc. Guy claimed he didn’t know, I suspected something was off when I saw how big the box was compared to when he said it weighed. I didn’t know there was such a thing at the time. Seller didn’t want them back but refunded most of my money. My plan was to trade them for lead ww in a Md or Va tire place but my trip got cancelled due to the virus. We are still using lead ww here in NC.
    Budzilla, you can pc your lead and load about as hot as you want. I wouldn’t chance ruining a pot of ww lead with zinc.

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    Baltimoreed I was just thinking out loud. Hahahaha I won’t be ruining any alloy time soon. I exclusively PC all my casts now, and you are correct, you can STAND ON THE GAS!!!! I won’t publish the load, but 2500 FPS from a 30/06 with a Lee 200 grain RNFP!!! Recoil was stiff to
    Say the least!! If decide to try this I’ll just do a small batch. Just an idea.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast