Load DataRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWideners
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Keeping zinc wheel weights separate from other “junk” weights- is it really worth it?

I just use any zinc I find in WW to make new hot water heater anode rods. I have a mold made from split copper and a hold off top and bottom to hold a stainless steel rod in the middle. I just throw it in the wood boiler on coals for 20 minutes to heat it all up and cast from a cast iron pot. Its a very good use for zinc.

Boolit Grand Master

As soon as CA and a few other states ban the horrible corono-lead projectiles a market will develop for zinc...then we will see moulds & methods for casting and shooting zinc boolits developed .
    For now I'm keeping the zinkers ... " they ain't eatin no hay" ...as my old man would say !
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    here is a note for you all most zinc will clean up nice. you have some trade stuff for the small tire guys i do it and they like the nice clean ones and will trade for the old junk

I sa(i)d recycle and he said no, they reuse them.
    Same thing. Recycling is reusing them. Is remanufacturing them. Is reworking them. Is recasting them.

Trying to discuss metal with most shop mechanics gets you just about what you got told.

Good luck, garrisonjoe

Quote Originally Posted by too many things View Post
    here is a note for you all most zinc will clean up nice. you have some trade stuff for the small tire guys i do it and they like the nice clean ones and will trade for the old junk
    What's a good method for cleaning a bunch of those things though? I can think of a couple of mom and pop stores that would probably be totally willing to give me old wheel weights (especially stick-on) in exchange for cleaned and sorted zinc and steel clip-ons.

Vendor Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by SirNomad View Post
    What's a good method for cleaning a bunch of those things though? I can think of a couple of mom and pop stores that would probably be totally willing to give me old wheel weights (especially stick-on) in exchange for cleaned and sorted zinc and steel clip-ons.
    I would assume a power washer would do the job. My experience with stick on weights is that they aren’t worth the trouble though. Out of 145lb bucket I got about 20lbs it useable lead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Happiness is a warm .45

Quote Originally Posted by Bantou View Post
    I would assume a power washer would do the job. My experience with stick on weights is that they aren’t worth the trouble though. Out of 145lb bucket I got about 20lbs it useable lead.

I've just been throwing the stick on wheel weights in the pot, letting the gunk rise to the top, fluxing, etc., and I had pretty good results. I didn't get a whole lot of lead out of the batch of lead I got last time, but it was free so I was only out my labor (which, since I couldn't work during that time, was "hobby" labor...).
    I'd happily keep getting wheel weights. Bad part is that California is right across our border, so their regulations have an impact on Arizona. Too much zinc and steel.

Vendor Sponsor
    I’ve had good luck in Texas with the clip on weights but a bucket of stick ons is about 80% steel and not worth the hassle.

Happiness is a warm .45

Quote Originally Posted by SirNomad View Post
    I've just been throwing the stick on wheel weights in the pot, letting the gunk rise to the top, fluxing, etc., and I had pretty good results. I didn't get a whole lot of lead out of the batch of lead I got last time, but it was free so I was only out my labor (which, since I couldn't work during that time, was "hobby" labor...).
    I'd happily keep getting wheel weights. Bad part is that California is right across our border, so their regulations have an impact on Arizona. Too much zinc and steel.
    i do the same, i built a pot with tall walls. throw it all in put some heat to it, and let it go. all the paint and debri will burn off and as long as you dont get the heat to high, the steel clip , iron bars and zinc will all float to the top. i use a mesh spoon like you see them cook at the chinese food restaurant, or what you would use to take food out of a fryer. works perfect.
    "A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government" -George Washington

Boolit Master

Zinc fishing weights and bottom jigs. Almost time to slay the bottom fish near my daughter's house in Crescent City, CA.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12