Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersReloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cleaning brass with muratic acid or concrete etch solutions?

I retrieved a basket style salad spinner that had a broken spin mechanism, from the trash. When I am ready to remove the brass from the solution, I just pour everything into the strainer basket, inside the bowl that goes with it. Wash solution goes back in a plastic coffee can, and brass gets rinsed in the sink. Clean and rinsed brass goes in an aluminum pie plate and then warms in the warmest place I can find; either in the sunshine, or on top of the house heating boiler.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Master

After playing with muriatic acid in my fish tanks to control PH, I personally would rather not play with the stuff (long story that ended horribly for the fish, wife did it not me). I wanted phosphoric acid but couldn't find it pure locally.

Limishine is safer and smells better. It's cheap too and that little bottle last a long time.

Really any acid will work. You just dont want to chemically burn or weaken the metal. I dont personally like playing with harsh chemicals, but it happens sometimes.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Buddy
    i would think it wouldn't do the primer pockets any good, maybe enlarge them?

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Most citric acid you buy in powder form is safe for human consumption. I’ve put a little of it in my iced tea when I was out of lemon. It tasted great.

[QUOTE=Rcmaveric;4846503]After playing with muriatic acid in my fish tanks to control PH, I personally would rather not play with the stuff (long story that ended horribly for the fish, wife did it not me). I wanted phosphoric acid but couldn't find it pure locally.

phosphoric acid is the active ingredient in some auto wheel cleaners.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Master

I use several gallons of muriatic acid per season to regulate my pool water pH. Strong nasty stuff. An errant droplet instantly etches concrete.

Likely the correct dilution could be made to work for brass, but I wouldn't mess with it.
    "There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something."
    ~Thorin Oakenshield

[QUOTE=WRideout;4849425]
    Quote Originally Posted by Rcmaveric View Post
    After playing with muriatic acid in my fish tanks to control PH, I personally would rather not play with the stuff (long story that ended horribly for the fish, wife did it not me). I wanted phosphoric acid but couldn't find it pure locally.

phosphoric acid is the active ingredient in some auto wheel cleaners.

Wayne

Phosphoric acid is also in most soda soft drinks. I would bet you could use generic ( low cost) 7-up as a brass cleaner ( could use darker soda such as cola, but it may stain the brass, so use "clear" soda). Soda has a pH of about 3.5-3.8, which is very acidic.

Boolit Master
    I will say it again. WHY?

If you aren't going to tumble or vibrate the cases then just use Citric Acid. You can get it cheap at any Walmart.

Put some water and acid in a bucket. Add cases and swish around a bit. Rinse and dry. Takes 30 minutes at most. No harm to the cases.

Most other acids you are just asking for trouble. Most will weaken the brass and many are harmful in many ways. Just don't do it.

PS yes, if you are a chemist and know what you are doing, then other ways exist. It takes a LOT more knowledge about solutions and chemical interactions to do this and DO NOT rely on internet stories.

Boolit Grand Master
    In the past I've used Phosphoric acid.
    You can find it in bathroom tub and tile cleaner.
    I like the Zep brand.
    Cheaper that muriatic acid.
    It does a great job.
    Mild enough that you don't have to worry about how long you leave the brass in it.
    Also don't have to worry about it burning clothes or hands.
    Don't use it much, now that I wet tumble.
    Coca cola has it in it.

Boolit Master

I mixed a gallon of muriatic acid to 40 gallons of water in a plastic garbage can to clean about 10,000 223 cases one time. Once the brass turned bright, about 30-45 seconds I dumped it out and rinsed the brass off and then tumbled them in a cement mixer with dish washing liquid. They looked great!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12