WidenersInline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Load DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lubesizer heaters

Lubesizer heaters

I dont have a heater on my sizer cause i generally use a softer lube and do this work in the summer . I needed to lube some bullets the other day and was having to use a lot of pressure cause my room was only about 60 degrees. Then i thought about the magnetic heater i had in my garage. I attached it to the sizer, plugged it in and let it warm up and it worked pretty good. Since i only used it for about ten minutes i cant say if it would have eventually gotten too hot but im gonna mount a metal plate to the base of the sizer, large enough to move the heater further from the sizer to regulate heat if necessary. Anyone tried this?

Moderator Emeritus

Yes, I have a 200 watt automotive magnetic heater, designed for use on a automotive engine (oil pan I suppose?).
    I had it connected to a switchable power strip, so I'd just shut it off when the sizer was warm enough, then switch it back on, if needed. I used a steel plate as you describe, mine was large enough, so I could also pre-heat the boolits on it, because a beeswax based lube will adhere to warm boolits, much better than to cold boolits...if the room was 60, then the boolits were 60.

But that was all in the past. Once I switched to SL68B, I no longer needed to heat the sizer (even if the room is 50º), and no need to pre-heat the boolits.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

Don't have a magnetic heater...actually never heard of one . Have used :
    electric iron
    hair dryer
    150W. incandescent shop lamp
    heat gun

I just use what I got on hand .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

When I got my first lube sizer I geeked out and got an oil pan heater to mount under my sizer. I learned really quick that I didn't need it that hot. Especially since my reloading room stays around 70* year round. I usually hit it with a heat gun for a few minutes to soften things up.
    If your reloading room isn't climate controlled the oil pan heater is the way to go when it is cold. They are cheap enough, just don't forget to unplug it lol.

In the old days, I'd put a 100 watt lightbulb in a lamp or mechanic's drop light.
    I'd lay it up against the sizer, it worked pretty good.
    If I was in a hurry to heat it up, I'd wave a hardware store propane torch on it for a minute or so.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Moderator Emeritus

I have had several magnetic block heaters, and still have one I use when it's well below zero degrees out on my Kubota tractor. For another application (liquefying #4 and #6 oil) we used same magnetic heaters, but had them in-line in 0-240V Variacs (autotransformers) to be able to tune in just the "right" amount of heat for our purposes. This, way back before current solid state technology was even dreamed of. Just a thought -- it seems to me that if you put a light dimmer switch in line with the magnetic heater, you could start low and gradually get to an ideal temp to stay at. I don't know if this would work -- but, don't see why not? If it does work -- it should save a lot of fussing. (I have a 0-120VAC autotransformer which my heater plugs into...)
    Good luck!
    geo

Boolit Master

I disassembled one of the coffee cup plate style warmers and mounted it on the 3/8 inch aluminum plate that my lubrisizer is bolted to. I haven’t measured the temperature that it puts out, but it does an excellent job on the Ed’s Red.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

I did a diy lube heater just a pice of scrap aluminum some stain crews to hold it up off the bench and a cheep travel iron
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	68.3 KB 
ID:	257932
    The temperature is adjustable at the iron and if to hot I can reduce the amount of contact area and ore move it further away
    Last edited by Cast_outlaw; 03-05-2020 at 08:57 PM. Reason: Autocorrect

Boolit Master

See this link for a simple hack of the $5.99 Glade Plugin Scented Oil Warmer to use as a lube-sizer heater of low intensity.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...=1#post4829046
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    I have a heater that I bought from Midway for my Lubeamatic at least 40 years ago and it still works seeing as I left it on sometimes for 3 days straight,I don't remember what I paid for it but I think I've gotten my money's worth from it.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by DocSavage View Post
    I have a heater that I bought from Midway for my Lubeamatic at least 40 years ago and it still works seeing as I left it on sometimes for 3 days straight,I don't remember what I paid for it but I think I've gotten my money's worth from it.
    Where's the fun in doing that ...the Rube Goldberge contraptions are so much more interesting !
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Banned
    So many ways of heating up the old lube anywhere from a heat lamp, iron, hair dryer, magnetic heater and then the more sophisticated cartridge type heaters. There is a section devoted to making your PID controlled heater for your Star/Magma bullet sizer. Mine is made using a scrap piece of aluminum a PID control with sensing probe and 400 watt cartridge type heating element. They all seem to work the only difference being how long you want to wait before you can size and lube. Mine goes from a room temp of 60 degrees to a PID setting of 118 degrees in about 6-7 minutes.

Boolit Grand Master

I bought a used hair dryer at the thrift shop 20 years ago and it is still working fine. Tuen it on and in 5-10 minutes ready to go. Cost me $2

Boolit Master

Travel iron for me, as I have my 3 Stars mounted to an aluminum plate. Cheap and adjustable.

Boolit Master
    Mold heaters on flea bay for about $3 and a piece of scrap aluminum. Drill a hole for the heater and mount under the lube sizer. You’re out of the whole thing for under 10 bucks and it looks and works just like the Lyman Hester that cost 50 something bucks.
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Banned
    The only down side to the irons and the cheap heaters that you only had to spend $2 for one you got at Goodwill is the ability for really accurate lube temp control. Some of the lube I use is usable at 115-118 degrees and below that it doesn't flow right even with extra air pressure and above say 118 degrees it becomes a mess. I guess it just all depends on your lube and your location and ambient temp in your room.

Boolit Master

East Arkansas where I55 & I40 come together and then split
    I found a small oil pan heater on Amazon about 4 years ago for about 10 bucks, I got it in the summer months and it was cheaper. it is 25 watts and 1" X 5" and that little
    thing gets really hot, I use a lamp dimmer switch from a big box store and I probably have $20 in the system.

I used an old hair dryer for a while but the noise is annoying.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LenH View Post
    I found a small oil pan heater on Amazon about 4 years ago for about 10 bucks, I got it in the summer months and it was cheaper. it is 25 watts and 1" X 5" and that little
    thing gets really hot, I use a lamp dimmer switch from a big box store and I probably have $20 in the system.

I used an old hair dryer for a while but the noise is annoying.
    When I started out years ago I used a heat lamp focused on the bullet sizer lubricator. I borrowed it from the barn where we kept the horses. It cost nothing.

Boolit Grand Master

I did the same thing as DodSavage, I bought a heater from Midway several years ago. But you guys have some pretty creative ideas!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast