Inline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad DataWideners
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky

Thread: LLA melt?

LLA melt?

so, its been a while since i did anything with cast boolits. and a few things have changed. i have a bunch of 44 mag boolits that i am not going to use anymore. but they have been lubed with Lee Liquid Alox, that i mixed with moly powder. i would like to melt these down, and re cast them into 45-70 govt boolits. but at the same time, i don't want to make a huge mess of my pot. i think the LLA will burn off??? but the moly powder??? anyone ever tried anything like this?
    Silver and Gold are for rich men. Lead and Brass is MY silver and gold! And when push comes to shove, one of my silver and gold pieces will be more valuable than a big pile of actual silver and gold.

Tossing old, lubed boolits into the pot for fluxing is a common practice.

Sure, they'll smoke, but its no big deal.
    I never used moly, but I'd expect it to either burn off or float.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    A small amount of those bullets added from time to time would be no real issue. Fill the pot and let it melt, might be a problem best resolved with a melting pot for scrap lead. With the combination you mentioned, I would use the scrap lead pot and not worry about it.

Boolit Buddy
    I melted a bunch of 'em one time a few years back. Get pretty messy. Stirring in sawdust helped as I recall.

It's awful! The lube sticks to the walls of the pot under the lead. I'm processing #85 more pounds of it this weekend and I'll take pictures.

Super Moderator

I have thrown in a few at a time and had no problems. If I had a whole bunch of them though, I would do it in the smelting pot with some sawdust. I would not put them in my Pro Melt.

Boolit Buddy
    I wouldn't put them in my casting pot, but wouldn't hesitate to melt them down in my "smelting" pot, with plenty of sawdust and some wax.

Boolit Grand Master

No problems here. I've never tried filling up an empty pot with them, but 50-100 bullets on top of an already filled pot is no problem. It is no different than wax lube. The one and only thing I ever put in a casting put that I didn't like was bullets with the hollow base filled with hot glue. Hot glue when burning at 700+ degrees smells like a tire fire.

Thanks guys. i will round them up, and throw them into the smelting pot. i'm going to also find a couple of pieces of scrap wood, to turn into sawdust. glad i have a table saw. it makes that job a lot easier and safer.
    Silver and Gold are for rich men. Lead and Brass is MY silver and gold! And when push comes to shove, one of my silver and gold pieces will be more valuable than a big pile of actual silver and gold.

Boolit Master
    never had a problem with lla lubed boolits going back into the pot .

Boolit Buddy
    I used LLA as a flux for a while when it came with the sizers. Didn’t have anything else to do with it.