WidenersTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: M71 Browning won't fire

Boolit Master

I would take the bolt out and clean it completely. Check for debris and dried gunk in the firing pin space

Boolit Master
    Here is a second vote for you (or someone who knows how) to completely remove the entire fire pin assembly from the bolt. Clean all parts that exit the bolt, then the inside of the bolt. Reassemble and test. Hope this get you where you want to be.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by veeman View Post
    I've never heard anything but praise for bothe the 71's and the 86's from Browning. Closest thing to the real thing. Of course there could always be that one bad apple.
    Yeah I never heard of a headspace problem with these - hard to imagine that - dont believe its a factor at all.

But I have personal experience with the fail to fire (and heard others with the same) the firing pin deal fixed it - maybe a thorough strip down and clean would have done it too.

There a lot of unnecessary bits in that firing pin. My rifle has the proper half cock notch, the lever "ears" and cutouts in the firing pin work exactly as JMB intended to prevent an out of battery discharge and retract the firing pin. Its absolutely safe without the stupid little lawyer designed blocking mechanism in the firing pin

I also had to machine under the bolt to create the cutaway that should have been there to clear the hammer nose but I put that down to a one off glitch in computerised machining. If it was even a little common these guns would not be held in the high regard that they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer in NH View Post
    I would take the bolt out and clean it completely. Check for debris and dried gunk in the firing pin space
    This was the cure,
    I dropped the rifle off with my gunsmith as I had no time to look at it.
    He disassembled the bolt, cleaned all firing pin parts and degreased everything. Works great now, i have fired 2 boxes of shells with no issues.
    Thanks for everyone’s input, greatly appreciated

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 244ack View Post
    This was the cure,
    I dropped the rifle off with my gunsmith as I had no time to look at it.
    He disassembled the bolt, cleaned all firing pin parts and degreased everything. Works great now, i have fired 2 boxes of shells with no issues.
    Thanks for everyone’s input, greatly appreciated
    Thought that (strip and clean) might get you out of it - I am inclined to go at things head on - it fouled up once this, aint ever gonna happen again - and it wont .....dunno what your gunsmith charged for the job but if you never stripped a 71 browning down - the first time, strip clean and reassemble, was gonna take several hours and considerable frustration, 50 bucks for that job would be dirt cheap I reckon - I wouldnt consider 100 excessive.

He charged me $75 so i could not complain at all

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 244ack View Post
    He charged me $75 so i could not complain at all
    fair and reasonable!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12