WidenersLoad DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackbox
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Breech Strength

Boolit Master
    There have been some past trials where they filled up a 12 inch barrel section with black powder screwed in a second breech plug and lit a fuse on the flash hole. The barrel sections didn't blow up.
    Iraqi Veteran (yutube) did try to blow up a few CVA muzzle loaders using smokeless powder but it didn't blow the guns up like you would think it would do. They basically used a smokeless powder load like a black powder load, simulating a user trying to use a black powder load by mistake or stupidity. They had to really overload the heck out of them to blow them up.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodnbow View Post
    Keeping powder charges around 70-90 grains with bullets under 400 grains should still be an enjoyable experience...
    My muzzle loaders are slow twist ball guns - open sights - they will do the job as far out as I can ethically hit - my 54cal weighs 7 pound neat - 120 grains of FFg - its fun and pretty darn effective!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    Charlie if it dont hurt its fun (of course) ................. but a 45/100 with a big boolit has some potential to hurt in a light gun ....I have a good chiropractor but I dont wanna become friends with him .
    Yes, it does. My Lyman is 9lb. And it has a wicked curved butt plate that will cut the skin. I use a PAST recoil pad when firing it (or a thick jacket).

Even with all that it has taught me how to flinch Took a while to get used to firing it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodnbow View Post
    Keeping powder charges around 70-90 grains with bullets under 400 grains should still be an enjoyable experience...
    Enjoyable, but, after 20 or 30 rounds I can feel it the next day, even with the recoil pad.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12