RepackboxRotoMetals2Inline FabricationWideners
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breech Strength

Breech Strength

Does anyone have the data to compare the breech strength of TC New Englanders versus Pedersoli Whitworths and Volunteers?

Boolit Buddy
    There is no data that I know of. The breach on the t/c is 1/16” larger in diameter than the whitworth.

Boolit Grand Master

There really is only one way to find out... And each specimen would vary some. But after you pipe bomb test 10 or more of each you should have a descent idea.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Heh, I certainly don't want to do that testing
    But it could be fun!

Boolit Buddy
    If y’all have a lot of money it would be fun. That’s more fun than I could stand.

Being left eyed my left handed New Englanders are worth too much to me to blow them up!
    If .476/.480 molds were more prevalent I'd maybe go that route.
    But then again the barrel* as-is could just be rebored a few thousandths to use lubed lead fifty rifle molds.
    The TC parts give you plenty of options to consider.

* There's one spare barrel that's a corroded fifty.
    Last edited by Good Cheer; 03-29-2020 at 08:31 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Quote Originally Posted by Good Cheer View Post
    Does anyone have the data to compare the breech strength of TC New Englanders versus Pedersoli Whitworths and Volunteers?
    Why do you want to know this information ? Are you planning to push the envelope with powder charges ?

Well, thinking about that, where's the envelope?
    Is loading a .458 barreled New Englander like a Whitworth pushing the envelope?

Boolit Master
    It would be impossible to blow either up with blackpowder ,and the flash hole would allow pressure to bleed away......The only way to rupture would be a hydraulic shock method ,which is what happens when a fast moving mass hits a stationary one....and by definition ,that wont happen at the breech...........read up some of the Spanish tests of rolling blocks .......250 grs of powder ,barrel full of bullets.....didnt blow up.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    It would be impossible to blow either up with blackpowder ,and the flash hole would allow pressure to bleed away......The only way to rupture would be a hydraulic shock method ,which is what happens when a fast moving mass hits a stationary one....and by definition ,that wont happen at the breech...........read up some of the Spanish tests of rolling blocks .......250 grs of powder ,barrel full of bullets.....didnt blow up.
    A sure way to get multiple hits @ multiple targets @ multiple yardage before you can even get back up on your feet

Boolit Grand Master

A couple guys on youtube took an old CVA and filled it completely with BP leaving just enough room to load a bullet. It did not blow the barrel. The stock was damaged but I think that was done more by the device holding the gun that the action from the BP firing.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Grand Master

Depended on how accurately they are breeched in the first place, Thread fit does it sel at the front and the rear tightly, How thick is the barrel how long ate the threaded portion. You need to go back to Ed Yard and the Buckskin report in the 70's where this was covered in great length. A lot of T/C guns I have worked on were gapped at the front of the barrel breech joint and this is not only a crap trap but it does weaken the joint.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    Mate ------- nothing is impossible to the willing student (read that in an ad somewhere years ago)

Take that TC New Englander Barrel, fill it halfway up with FFF tightly packed , now fill the rest of the barrel with tightly rammed dirt - just like you setting a strainer post - you wanna be at least fifty yards away behind a bunker when you pull the string to set her off because something is gonna blow - either blow the nipple drum out - or the breech plug - or shred the barrel.

Boolit Buddy
    At least the PH rifles were all proofed by the government proof house before being sold. I cannot remember the proof load but it was very substantial.

Boolit Grand Master

Never say never but...you might want to read chapter 22 of The Complete Black Powder Handbook by Sam Fadala.

He had a test barrel made up in .58 cal. at only 1" across the flats and worked up to 500grs. of FFFg BP and three 600 gr. Minies with no change in barrel dimensions.

To get that barrel to blow up he then tried 400 gs. of powder with two 600 gr. Minies seat 14 1/2" away from the powder! That did it as did some other tests with large air gaps between powder and projectile in some other guns.

Of course barrels differ in steel grade and quality, number and depth of dovetails, breach plug style and threads, etc. so results could obviously vary some but my take is that any quality barrel can take a larger charge than I would want to shoot in it anyway.

As an example, I once accidentally charged an H&R Huntsman in .58 cal. with about 250 grs. of FFFg BP under a 500 gr. Minie. The muzzle blast was horrendous as was recoil and the action broke open... just, but no damage to gun or barrel.

Food for thought.

Longbow

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Good Cheer View Post
    Well, thinking about that, where's the envelope?
    Is loading a .458 barreled New Englander like a Whitworth pushing the envelope?
    You’re probably thinking of having the barrel relined with a .45 liner. Or else buying a .45-70 barrel and threading it for the plug. In either case, I would feel comfortable with 500 grain bullets and 100 grains of Swiss... easily.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodnbow View Post
    You’re probably thinking of having the barrel relined with a .45 liner. Or else buying a .45-70 barrel and threading it for the plug. In either case, I would feel comfortable with 500 grain bullets and 100 grains of Swiss... easily.
    Shootin that load in an 8 pound gun might not be fun long term for some of us! I had a little sharps carbine that used to jar my spine (shot prone) with a 500grainer over 65 grains FFFg .....that thing would have bit seriously with a 100of Swiss in it .................

Boolit Master
    Several of 'us' in here use heavy bullet loads in various rifles.

Mine is a Lyman Great Plains Hunter, .50cal, 1:32 twist. It likes 450gn PP bullets with 80-100gn powder.

The main factor on bullet weight/type is the twist of the rifling. If you have 1:48 twist then the long, heavy bullet will keyhole. Even my 1:32 twist is marginal for some of the longer 450gn bullets.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Several of 'us' in here use heavy bullet loads in various rifles.

Mine is a Lyman Great Plains Hunter, .50cal, 1:32 twist. It likes 450gn PP bullets with 80-100gn powder.

The main factor on bullet weight/type is the twist of the rifling. If you have 1:48 twist then the long, heavy bullet will keyhole. Even my 1:32 twist is marginal for some of the longer 450gn bullets.
    Charlie if it dont hurt its fun (of course) ................. but a 45/100 with a big boolit has some potential to hurt in a light gun ....I have a good chiropractor but I dont wanna become friends with him .

Boolit Buddy
    Keeping powder charges around 70-90 grains with bullets under 400 grains should still be an enjoyable experience...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast