RepackboxInline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionWideners
RotoMetals2 Load Data

Thread: Casting bullets for modern 44WCF

Boolit Mold

Casting bullets for modern 44WCF

As a SASS shooter, I shoot 44WCF in all my main match guns except a lone 38WCF pistol, they are all loaded with various black powders, including 12g shotgun (I use whatever is cheapest for SASS). Currently I've been loading cannon powder in 44WCF. Its dirty but gets the job done.
    I've been buying bullets of .428 size, even though my barrels are all .429, its not a problem at 20-30 feet! Even accurate to 100yds in a model 92 for "long range pistol caliber". I've used multiple bullets in the past 2 years, recently some Big Lube's that worked well for the ranges I shoot. I hate having to order bullets and am already casting 535gn Postels form my Sharps so I decided to cast 44wFC as well. I bought a Lyman 429666, as it has a generous lube grove (homemade lube) but not too big like the Big Lube's and 200gn weight. I cast my first 100 last night and they are dropping between .429 and .430. I dont think I need to size these bullets (Hard Cast, re-purposed 44 SWC's, not pure lead). Opinions and why? I have ran .429 bullets through them from a friends belt with no issues.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    You don't state what rifle or revolver you are shooting these in, but in my experience the largest bullet diameter which chambers in the gun without resistance is best. I am shooting .430" bullets in my 1905 Colt SA, 1920 Colt New Service and 1920s Spanish El Tigre levergun. There is no need for hard cast in the .44-40, but if the bullets are large enough in diameter to produce a good gas seal without having to slug up, then they do no harm.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks Outpost, they are Uberti Cimarron Model 1866 short rifle, 1873 short rifle, 1873 black powder frame pistols, ASM Taylor's Model 92 short rifle and a Uberti 1873 pre-war framed pistol all in 44WCF. The hard cast alloy was free in the form of 1,000 240gn 44 Cal SWC's from Meister that a friend no longer needed, other wise, I'd use 40-1 or pure lead in a .428. Once those are used up, I've got 1,000 250gn 45's to melt, same friend. I Could add pure lead to the mix but I'm not an alchemist, after all, I'm shooting steel at 30 feet in SASS matches!

Boolit Master

The Lyman #427666 is a great bullet, I cast mine of a alloy of 50/50 - COWW/#2 to get them to drop big enough for my one .44WCF clone that has a .429 bbl.
    I've tried all the .44cal 200-215gr bullets offered by Lyman, RCBS & Lee in the last 30yrs.
    The Accurate #43-215C is the Best bullet I've found for Black Powder combo loads in the .44WCF for Rifle/Pistol. Holds PLENTY of lube for a Ten Stage Match.
    Tom at Accurate will cut the cavities to take full advantage of the Alloy & Diameter that YOU Want.
    I have a 5cav, it makes lots of good bullets in a short time.

Outpost75 is the GURU of all things .44WCF.

Forgot to add that the Accurate #43-215C is a John Kort design.

I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY HATE THE AUTO-CORRECT ON THIS BLASTED TABLET !!!!
    Last edited by Walks; 03-17-2020 at 05:28 PM. Reason: Forgot something
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Walks View Post
    ... Outpost75 is the GURU of all things .44WCF.
    Thanks for the "flowers," but I am a relative newcomer to the .44 WCF, but was lucky to have some great mentors.

The late John Kort was most helpful and patient in answering all of my questions.

Savvy Jack and Larry Gibson also deserve much credit for I have learned much from each of them.

Indian Joe, Hootmix, Walks and many of the other long time regulars here have added to my education.

Bottom line is that all of us working together to help each other are better than any one of us.

That's what attracted me to this forum and is why I have stuck around. Always glad to help.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy
    http://www.biglube.com/BulletMolds.a...4-192b1f1c0db4, When I shot SASS and NCOWS BP this is what I used. It shoots good in my original 73 my 1889 marlin both with 24in barrels and in my 73 and 66 short rifles. There was a club we shot at in Ill. that shot what they called a True Grit match, consisted of 2 rifles 4 pistols and around 10 shot shells per stage. My wife would usually shoot a couple people behind me and used the same firearms, and they never had any propblems.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Buy the Accurate 43-215C designed by John Kurt (44WCF)

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=43-215C-D.png

Accurate to 300 yds
    Regards
    John

Boolit Grand Master

I shoot 429's in all my Uberti clones with excellent accuracy and no problems. I shoot Swiss FFg powder.

Boolit Mold
    Thank you everyone. I too have read extensively, the writings of Mr. Kort and many others! I'm a research hound. I've tried the Big Lube, still have about 300 in .428 (Don't like how long they are as they eat up case volume), and I would have liked the accurate 43-215C but I had already pulled the trigger on the Lyman 429666. I mocked up 3 rounds last night, and they chamber "Ok" required a gentle nudge to get the last bit in, hoping it woill have no ill effect once the chambers get dirty with Holy Black. I have about 3 1/2 pounds of cannon powder to use up. Its actually a great SASS 44WCF powder. A little harder to get the volumes equal but for SASS, the loads work out to a slightly compressed (1/16") 30gn as opposed to my full house loads of highly compressed FF of 38-39gn. I've shot Black Powder since I was about 8, in muzzle loaders and 1860 revolvers. The past 2 years I've been shooting SASS in Black Powder only and some BPCR with a 45-70 pedersoli and 45-90 1886. I load a few smokeless for my Schofield (will NOT handle BP) and Long Range Rifle Pistol Caliber in my 92, loaded hot with unique. I started casting my own .458's for the Sharps last year and after waiting 3 weeks to get my last order of .428's I decided to cast those too. Lots to learn here! My budget is limited so I fabricate a lot of things or wait patiently till I can afford what I cant make. Thanks yall.

Boolit Grand Master

Another 44WCF shooter of "fat" cast. Out of the numerous Winchesters we have the "acceptable" diameters run from .431-.436+.
    Have never had a modern one though...except for a 1903 Colt New Service.. And Fat worked best in that.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Buddy
    I guess I got lucky . I have an 1894 Marlin made about the same time as it has a low , 3 digit serial number . When I slugged the barrel , the groove diameter is .426 . I cast / size .427 . Regards, Paul

Boolit Master

I have a Win 1873 made in 1882 in 44-40 that I had to get relined (it would key hole at 10 yards) and it's groove dia. is .429 and I size to .431. I have a Miha 432-200 that shoots great but it is a G/C design which I do not need for the velocity I am shooting but doesn't shoot well without the Gas Check.

Quote Originally Posted by KCSO View Post
    I shoot 429's in all my Uberti clones with excellent accuracy and no problems. I shoot Swiss FFg powder.
    Me too also !

Boolit Mold
    Ok, first batch of 200 dropped out of the mold (Lyman 427666) on average of .429/430. Lubed and loaded would not easily chamber in the pistols but the rifles were fine (all Uberti). Ran them through a .429 Lee sizing die and Boom, they plop into the chambers just fine. So, my Uberti Cimarron pistols had the tightest chambers but even .429 properly sized bullets dropped right in. Thank you everyone.