Load DataInline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackboxTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Wideners

Thread: 450 to size without lubing?

Boolit Mold

Question 450 to size without lubing?

Broke out the 450 and broke it down and gave it thorough cleaning. I have the top punch and sizing die for .358 SWC. I am about to start PCing my cast bullets so don't want to lube. Question is:Anyone ever use 450 to size but not lube? Currently don't have any other sizing setup for .358. I know it will be slower than LEE push through but just wanted to save a dime seeings as how I already have this and don't really use it.
    WIS40

I do it all the time, just back the pressure screw off a little. I never cleaned mine out. I use it for .308 to .458 .
    The 3 people a man must be able to trust completely are his gunsmith his doctor & his preacher ..,his gunsmith for his short term health ,his doctor for long term health ,and his preacher incase one of the others mess up.

I use it for my powdercoated all the time. I have to crimp on gas checks anyways. Like stated above just back off on the pressure screw. Its a decent option instead of buying something else. (I did buy the new lee app press for sizing bullets but i still have to use my 4500 to crimp on the gas checks).

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nodakjohns View Post
    I use it for my powdercoated all the time. I have to crimp on gas checks anyways. Like stated above just back off on the pressure screw. Its a decent option instead of buying something else. (I did buy the new lee app press for sizing bullets but i still have to use my 4500 to crimp on the gas checks).
    Have you tried crimping on the GC on the APP ? I have not curious as to why it would not work at least hand feeding nose down into the die.

Boolit Master
    I do it for my Lee wadcutters, but im getting ready to get a push thru for the press just to speed up the process on them...

Quote Originally Posted by onelight View Post
    Have you tried crimping on the GC on the APP ? I have not curious as to why it would not work at least hand feeding nose down into the die.
    I have not used the APP for crimping gas checks. Not sure how it would work for that particular application.

Boolit Buddy
    I have an old 45 that I use to push through size - works great with a little help from my 3d printer (no reason why a piece of sheetmetal or cardboard won't work too)

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3369335 - guides the bullets down into a bucket instead of bouncing off the lower part of the casting.

Aaron

Boolit Master

Yup! Used to do it regularly too. I did find it was easier with a lil cast lube in a ziplock!!

What’s different is bearing surface. The Lyman has TONS compared th the very small narrow band of the lee push thru and large bullets can be quite difficult. Line like that helps.

I also had a die made
    So I can use a Lyman size die without its center post as a push thru! That also works great!

Good luck

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master
    GONRA sez - its just Mechanical Equipment! Do anything ya'll want - as long as you NOT "over torque" and screw it up! !!! Have Phun!