Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2WidenersInline Fabrication
Repackbox Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 8MM Mauser

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    I've shot a few deer and an elk with the 323-471 HP shortening the HP stem so the HP is 3/16" deep. That is a 215 gr bullet when cast of COWW + 2% tin then mixed 50/50 with pure lead. I size at .325, lube with Javelina (Lars NRA 50/50 or 2500+ work as well) and use Hornady GCs. I pushed them at 2150 fps over H4831 out of a BYF M98 with an excellent bore and it holds 1 1/2 - 2 MOA at 200 yards for the first 10 shots out of a clean barrel which is fine for hunting but accuracy will open up after 10 shots as fouling picks up. I believe the accuracy attainable at that velocity while pushing the RPM Threshold is due to the long bearing surface of the Loverin style bullet, the bullet is seated with the GC at the base of the case neck leaving the bullet to seat into the long throat of milsurp 8x57 chambers, the slower burning powder and the .005+ groove depth of milspec Mauser barrels. The 323471HP fed out of both sides of the magazine of BYF M98 as it does my Yugo M24/47 and M48s.

If I did not already have the 323471HP I would look very seriously at NOE's 326-220-FN-P5 and the 326-221-RN-Q1. They are very similar to the 323471 and should perform as well.
    Just curious. When your accuracy goes bad after ten, does the bore then lube purge, and accuracy return? I wonder what results you would have with powder coating?
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    I've had good luck on the range with the Lee 175 gr. RN, but have never shot a deer with it. I did get a very nice buck with a Rem. JSP in an as-issued K98k.
    Noffsinger, can you provide the velocity and alloy hardness you were using with this RN bullet? I have some experience with round nose pistol rounds and small game and I am not a believer in them. Yet, speed does kill, so I am assuming your NOE cast is getting the job done with help from more velocity. The more information I glean the better I can decide which direction I want to go with the 35 Whelen I have. As noted above, this too is a sporterized Mauser action and FN bullets won't feed, they catch up on the edge of the chamber. The round nose cast bullets I have will feed.
    Any additional information on size of animals you put down, distance to target, etc, is appreciated.
    Christopher

Boolit Master
    Another alternative to 8mm bare cast is paper patching convectional .30 cal cast boolits. Being cheap and already having a selection of them, I use 2 wraps of .004 paper (copy paper cover wrapper) or 3 wraps of .0025 drafting vellum. On a .311 casting, either will get you .325 or a little more and a trip through a .325 sizer will take care of any overage. I've patched the 150gr Lyman 311466 and a plain base 180gr 311041 clone among others. With PP, I can drive a softer hunting alloy with no leading at jacketed velocity. I played with a Yugo M-48 for a while and accuracy was 2" at 100 yards when I worked out what it really liked.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Just curious. When your accuracy goes bad after ten, does the bore then lube purge, and accuracy return? I wonder what results you would have with powder coating?
    With the softer alloy (for expansion) the bore begins to foul around 8 rounds and accuracy begins falling off. This doesn't pose a problem with hunting loads as if I haven't got the game in 8 - 10 shots I might as well go home and clean the rifle anyways...….

I haven't tried PC because I don't touch the stuff [except testing for others]. Besides when the PC is baked you WQ the bullets which essentially heat treats them which negates the use of the softer alloy for expansion. Same bullet of COWWs + 2% tin with the same load can be shot all day long and maintain 2 moa or better accuracy for zeroing, practice and fun shooting.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    I've had good luck on the range with the Lee 175 gr. RN, but have never shot a deer with it. I did get a very nice buck with a Rem. JSP in an as-issued K98k.
    That Lee should be a good boolit.
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12