Snyders JerkyWidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rock Island 1911 grips

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Battis View Post
    My Rock Island has the ambi safety. Any problems with the fit of the Altamonts?
    No, you specify ambi saftey when ordering. My RIA has ambi.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by scattershot View Post
    Go for it.I’m a sucker for nice grips. An easy way to improve the appearance of any handgun, IMO.
    I am a grip junkie too

Boolit Grand Master

Hard to beat exotic wood on a 1911 .
    My last custom grips were smooth Macassar Ebony on a stainless 1911 AMT Hardballer from ...
    Kim Ahrend ...got them a few months ago before the " Notice" was put up .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    I prefer my grips to come from a critter
    Bone,horn, antlers,etc

Boolit Buddy
    This post must be a sign because I've been talking about getting new grips for my RIA Tac Ultra 1911 in 10mm. Original grips arent bad looking but they dont fit my hand right. They are too slim for me I want something larger and rounder around grip safety. I'm thinking about getting nice target hard wood grips with some meat on them to fill my large hands. I like some of the Altamont stuff. Not bad for the price.

Boolit Master
    I checked Altamont and even called them - it looks like most of the rosewood grips are "temporarily unavailable." They have some decent, less expensive walnut grips that look pretty good. There's also quite a few on ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by marek313 View Post
    This post must be a sign because I've been talking about getting new grips for my RIA Tac Ultra 1911 in 10mm. Original grips arent bad looking but they dont fit my hand right. They are too slim for me I want something larger and rounder around grip safety. I'm thinking about getting nice target hard wood grips with some meat on them to fill my large hands. I like some of the Altamont stuff. Not bad for the price.
    That’s kind of funny to me. I was inspired by seeing this thread to get thin grips for my RI tactical so I bought the same g10 grips as factory with the slim profile.

Boolit Master
    My Kimber 5" stainless target II came with very comfortable slightly soft rubber (?) grips, andI like them. My Kimber Eclipse "commander size" came with ordinary grips which have been replaced with the fake wood Crimson Trace grips. Love the laser on a carry gun.

Quote Originally Posted by marek313 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron369 View Post
    That’s kind of funny to me. I was inspired by seeing this thread to get thin grips for my RI tactical so I bought the same g10 grips as factory with the slim profile.
    Like I said in a previous post, grips are a very personal thing.

Boolit Master
    This question came up: why change the grips on a 1911 but not any other handguns? I did not have an answer.

Boolit Buddy
    I agree that grips are personal preference and I consider my 1911's as working guns. My preference is the rubber Hogue wrap around grips with the finger grooves. They help when shooting with sweaty hands in the Texas summer heat. My friend received his great uncles 1911 that had silver and gold grips. Told him that grips are like clothes, those grips are dress clothes, my Hogues are working clothes.

This question came up: why change the grips on a 1911 but not any other handguns? I did not have an answer.
    The only handguns I own that I have not changed the grips on are guns that have the grips molded into the gun so they cannot be changed. I am lucky in that Those grips fit me pretty well or I would not keep them.

Boolit Master
    This is what the gun looks like (this isn't mine but it's the same gun). My wife likes the grips that are on it. Would wooden grips look strange on this gun?

Boolit Master
    I hope those grips aren't as rough as the ones I have that look like that,mine will tear the hide off of your hands

Boolit Master
    This is what the gun looks like (this isn't mine but it's the same gun). My wife likes the grips that are on it. Would wooden grips look strange on this gun?
    Nope wood would look great.
    I am not much of a traditionalist I like the grips in the pic they are easy to hang on to.
    My shooting buddy has one just like that in 45 and I am always amazed at all the great features it has and how well it shoots they seem to be a real bargain.

Boolit Master
    I like desert ironwood for 1911 grips. To bad Sarge is out of the game as his grips had the best fit.

Boolit Master
    Lots of good companies out there, but I ordered a pair from LS Grips.

Wood looks good, even on a clone sort of 1911.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Woodcaliber is also a good place to buy grips.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast