RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Wideners Repackbox
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: My new old ski-doo!

My new old ski-doo!

Iv'e been wanting one for a long time. I paid alot for this. But its pretty much brand new and almost never used. It was made in 2002. Tundra R. Works well and only weighs 380 pounds! I can pick it up with one arm and move it as I please! I already started adding little accessories... Exactly what I need to bring me to the cabin in deep snow.

USMC 77, USRA 79

them old Ski-doo's we tuffer then snot.. cant imagine you finding one in that shape.. there are not many snow machines like that around in pristine condition.. most have a million miles... did you check the belts and track??? how are the rollers? any weather checking? the seat alone should have been eaten by a bear long ago...
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Grand Master

Fantastic! Tell us more about it and the cabin.

Boolit Master
    I always have half an eye peeled for a skidoo like that, not too big, a little older, in good shape. Nice find.

Quote Originally Posted by Markopolo View Post
    them old Ski-doo's we tuffer then snot.. cant imagine you finding one in that shape.. there are not many snow machines like that around in pristine condition.. most have a million miles... did you check the belts and track??? how are the rollers? any weather checking? the seat alone should have been eaten by a bear long ago...
    5700km... Rollers, sliders all new. Skis barely touched the ground. It came with bear paws. Honestly looks like the track barely rolled. No cracks, nothin!

Quote Originally Posted by osteodoc08 View Post
    Fantastic! Tell us more about it and the cabin.
    Not much to say. It's a tundra r. 139 inch track. 380 pounds. Only thing it had was the speedometer wasnt working. My dad tightened the cable and it works now. And the back tail light was burnt.... Tip top condition.

I have a question for you guys. Keep in mind I'm in Canada.
    How much do you think I paid?

Boolit Master
    Judging from that question,I would say that maybe you should be wearing a bandana mask,toting an 1873 Colt six gun and change your screen name to"Jesse James".
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by woodbutcher View Post
    Judging from that question,I would say that maybe you should be wearing a bandana mask,toting an 1873 Colt six gun and change your screen name to"Jesse James".
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    Well i have an 1858 navy, original. Do you think that works?

I've heard of those things.

Awhile back some of the good 'ole boys down in Louisiana got ahold of one.
    The soon figured out that if ya keep it up over about 70mph, it will go across a pretty long stretch of open water.

With all this global warming, you might need to know that sometime.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

$500 Canadian? That's a great find. I miss those old Ski-Doo's that you can go out on and if stuck just pick up the back and move it out yourself. I learned on an old 12HP Bombadier. Great old sled and light enough for a kid to get out of a snowbank. Spent hours out on the lake, on the golf course, beating one tracks through the woods. Lot's of fun. As a kid in winter we were never in the house.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Buddy
    Looks like the last of 'true work sled' design. All the new machines I see in eastern Washington are speed machines on truck decks or 1 sled on a 4 sled trailer looking for some open farm land to trespass on cause its to far to the state/national forests. Enjoy your machine gettin to the cabin and huntin in the great white north.
    Shaune509

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Kev18 View Post
    I have a question for you guys. Keep in mind I'm in Canada.
    How much do you think I paid?
    I'm not an expert but around here I would give $500-600 US dollars.

Bought a 2 up Grand touring for $800 with the same mileage in very good condition. Use that sled to haul the kids up the sledding hill. I like how light your machine is easy to handle if your not a gorilla.
    Last edited by Plate plinker; 03-02-2020 at 10:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Plate plinker View Post
    I'm not an expert but around here I would give $500-600 US dollars.

Bought a 2 up Grand touring for $800 with the same millage in very good condition. Use that sled to haul the kids up the sledding hill. I like how light your machine is easy to handle if your not a gorilla.
    That's super cheap in 2002 msrp was 4,300$. These days they are the same price. You can get a beat up one for 2000$. Everyone looks for these. They float.

I just went up to the cottage. About 5 feet of snow. I got stuck three times. I need to learn the machine.
    People were right. They said you'll pass anywhere except uphill. They were right. Got stuck in a hill.
    Also you need to do massive wide turns, don't do sharp ones or you'll stay stuck. Engine is a 1 cylinder 300cc. It also needs to be tuned. When you get stuck, and want to get going again. It bogs down and you have no power. Il get the carb tuned.

Over 5 feet of snow. I had some under my arms, and as long as you cruise along, you float on top. Only give gas to carve when turning or climbing a hill.

Kev18,
    I've got a 1997 Tundra LT. Same machine as yours except you have electric reverse. Great trapping machine, and I've brought a great many beaver out of the woods on that machine.
    Couple things to check out. If you keep burning taillights or headlights out, have your voltage regulator adjusted. Just takes a fine allen wrench to adjust the voltage. Might also check your carb to see if the high speed jet is partially plugged. I run in a bunch of cattails and the fluff gets all over in the carb and airbox and the machine will bog like you described. You may also have a crack in the rubber mount/manifold between carb and engine block. I've seen a few Tundras of that class with duct tape on them as a repair to keep dirt and air out of the carb and engine.
    If you compare your machine to pictures of like machines, I think you'll find your front skis have been replace with skis off a Skandic. I did the same to mine after getting it buried and tried to move the front over. The original skis had small loops in the handles and would bunch your hands up real bad when you tried to lift the skis.
    I just saw this post today and noticed your windshield was gone and the rifle rack gone also! Been there! I found if you take a piece of 1/4" fuel line, the length of the top of the windshield, cut it open lengthwise, then put a clear silicone caulking in the tubing, then put it on the windshield, and let it dry overnight. Put it right over the thin stiff plastic trim on the windshield as they come stock. This will keep your windshield from breaking most often even with a roll over.. That stiff black factory trim on the windshield, makes the plastic of the windshield crack exactly where it cracks. The fuel line/ caulking makes the windshield stiffer and keeps the original trim from cracking. They also make a taller windshield for those year Tundras if you are so inclined. I'd advise getting an extra fuel pump also. That was the only real mechanical trouble I ever had in the woods with mine.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0657.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	257801

Quote Originally Posted by Rally View Post
    Kev18,
    I've got a 1997 Tundra LT. Same machine as yours except you have electric reverse. Great trapping machine, and I've brought a great many beaver out of the woods on that machine.
    Couple things to check out. If you keep burning taillights or headlights out, have your voltage regulator adjusted. Just takes a fine allen wrench to adjust the voltage. Might also check your carb to see if the high speed jet is partially plugged. I run in a bunch of cattails and the fluff gets all over in the carb and airbox and the machine will bog like you described. You may also have a crack in the rubber mount/manifold between carb and engine block. I've seen a few Tundras of that class with duct tape on them as a repair to keep dirt and air out of the carb and engine.
    If you compare your machine to pictures of like machines, I think you'll find your front skis have been replace with skis off a Skandic. I did the same to mine after getting it buried and tried to move the front over. The original skis had small loops in the handles and would bunch your hands up real bad when you tried to lift the skis.
    I just saw this post today and noticed your windshield was gone and the rifle rack gone also! Been there! I found if you take a piece of 1/4" fuel line, the length of the top of the windshield, cut it open lengthwise, then put a clear silicone caulking in the tubing, then put it on the windshield, and let it dry overnight. Put it right over the thin stiff plastic trim on the windshield as they come stock. This will keep your windshield from breaking most often even with a roll over.. That stiff black factory trim on the windshield, makes the plastic of the windshield crack exactly where it cracks. The fuel line/ caulking makes the windshield stiffer and keeps the original trim from cracking. They also make a taller windshield for those year Tundras if you are so inclined. I'd advise getting an extra fuel pump also. That was the only real mechanical trouble I ever had in the woods with mine.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0657.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	257801
    I was laughing reading all of this.
    My tail light keeps burning and I just got a new one yesterday and it burnt today! Every issue you said, il try to fix. Especially the carb.
    I took the windshield off because I was scared to break it in the trees and branches. I had to make my own trails. As it was my first time trying it, and im no expert. I didnt want to break anything, gun rack included. Las time I road a snowmobile I was probably 10 and it was a Polaris 700 indy. A real monster of a land barge. I need to get used to the machine. Il go back and cut branches and trees to make trails to the cabin.
    And im not sure about my skis? I have 8-9 inch skins over them so that helps in snow.

I learnt a few things today:
    I got stuck twice in hills, thank god my dad was there. I watched videos and people say that you can go anywhere. EXCEPT CLIMB HILLS. They were right...
    Its a 1 cylinder 300cc. Dont try to do sharp turns and doing 180's. There is little to know power band.
    I also need to learn to maneuver it... I got stuck leaning on a tree.

Boolit Grand Master

I also laughed reading this. I remember stopping the sled, stepping off and sinking up to my waist. Lot's of fun. Many a hill I got stuck on and floundered around swinging the back end until I could go back down. Great stuff
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master
    I've never been on one, but it sure looks like fun.
    Looks kind of cold though.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast