Load DataRepackboxSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLee PrecisionWideners
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it worth it to hand load for 16" AR 15 ?

Boolit Buddy
    I just got done loading a small batch of 52 gr HP match(Blems from midway I think they are Sierra Matchking) on top of 26gr Win 748.I am going to load an equal batch of 55 gr Hornady softpoints also with 748,and some 63 gr softpoint blems,and some 70gr Speer semi spitzers with CFE223..I hope to try it out here in a few days.

My Howa bolt and Bear Creek upper prefer 62 gr bullets vs 55 and I hand load to optimize accuracy. Enjoy

I would say yes,absolutely. I bought my first AR in 1978. Colt SP1. I still have it. My second purchase was an RCBS Rock Chuck reloading kit which I still have and use . I have no clue how many rds of 5.56 I've loaded in the the last 42 years. If plan on shooting a lot I'd definitely reload. Also keep an eye on Midsouth shooters supply for components. I'll bet components are going to get scarce again when corona panic set in.
    "Adults are the children and the children are the adults" Jules my wife.

All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife. — Daniel Boone

Democracy is defended in 3 stages: Ballot Box, Jury Box, Cartridge Box. — Ambrose Bierce

A system of licensing and registration is the perfect device to deny gun ownership to the bourgeoisie. — Vladimir Ilyich Lenin

Black Rifles Matter

NRA Life Member, SAF Member, GOA Member, TFA Member

Banned

kind of a good point. Its one of the most widely useful rounds out there. It can be loaded down to near 22lr ballistics with a cast bullet or 22 hornet levels with a cast bullet as long as you don't mind running it manually. THen you can load full metal jacketed bullets cheap and go blasting. Next day you can load up some 55 grain soft points shoot moa and go varmint hunting. Next day load some partitions or barnes x and go deer hunting and then the next load up some 69s and go do some real long range shooting. All with a rifle that just as at home with those chores as it is actually protecting your home and family.
    Quote Originally Posted by Earlwb View Post
    I think that it can be worth it to reload for the .223 Rem or 5.56 Nato. You get to pick and choose the bullets more. Plus it can be cost effective and lower your costs for shooting too. it can be fun and turn into a hobby too.

The low cost ammunition with full metal jacket bullets is very attractive though. But around my area, none of the gun ranges will let you shoot rifle ammunition with FMJ bullets. It could be steel core and tear up the backstops or is a potential fire hazard due to sparks when it hits rocks etc. down range. Unfortunately, the ammunition with hollow point or soft point bullets costs more.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    kind of a good point. Its one of the most widely useful rounds out there. It can be loaded down to near 22lr ballistics with a cast bullet or 22 hornet levels with a cast bullet as long as you don't mind running it manually. THen you can load full metal jacketed bullets cheap and go blasting. Next day you can load up some 55 grain soft points shoot moa and go varmint hunting. Next day load some partitions or barnes x and go deer hunting and then the next load up some 69s and go do some real long range shooting. All with a rifle that just as at home with those chores as it is actually protecting your home and family.
    Lloyd nailed it. I have a rifle/caliber for every task and pleasure that suits me. But if I had to have only one rifle, it would be the AR15 with a few uppers. And if I was restricted to one caliber, it would be the 5.56 and a variety of jacketed bullets.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

It's worth having the loading equipment.

Worth loading for? I dunno about that.

The cheap ball ammo out of M4-type guns with combat style iron sights or optics usually makes for about a 1-2 MOA platform. I don't have a need for more than that from that sort of rifle, and my time is worth something to me - certainly an additional two cents a round.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Super Moderator

I've got a few flavors of 223 AR. All of them show the benefit of improved accuracy with judiciously handloaded ammo. My match rifles have never seen a factory load in them. No, you're not going to save money by doing it! It's all part of the fun for me.

Boolit Buddy
    I will probably buy some white box just for an emergency,and for the brass,but I have made up my mind to find a good load,or two for it.I loaded up 4 different loads with different bullets last night.I just went with medium charges,and 2.25 seating depth on all because I think that is about as long as the mag will feed..It is going to be nice in a couple days,and I will try them out..I have been watching too many YouTube videos,and think that an upgrade to a free float hand guard may be something to consider. Mine has the plastic one held on with the Delta ring.Do the free float one improve accuracy much?

Boolit Master
    I had a awesome Del-Ton that shoot real well factory or handloads sad day when it fell of our boat and went to the bottom of the river. Handloads for me got the bullets I wanted and still pretty cheap.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by flint45 View Post
    I had a awesome Del-Ton that shoot real well factory or handloads sad day when it fell of our boat and went to the bottom of the river. Handloads for me got the bullets I wanted and still pretty cheap.
    I hate that you lost your rifle in a boating accident.That's been happening a lot lately.

Boolit Buddy
    For me personally, I'm at a stage in my life where I have more available money than available time, and it's currently not worth the investment of time to load commodity calibers (9mm,5.56, etc.). The commercial blaster-grade ball ammo for those is widely available, inexpensive, and good enough for what I use it for. I enjoy handloading, but the opportunity cost of sitting at the press for hours to crank out some 9mm or 5.56 ball is just too great when I have lots of other things to do and I can buy substantially similar ammo for < $0.30/rd.

I do keep tools and stock comps for the commodity calibers, however, because this cost equation might easily change at any point in the future...

Boolit Mold
    whether its the 16" barrel upper or the 20" upper I shoot nothing but reloads through them. never a problem and my barrels are in wonderful shape.
    currently loading 223 for roughly 24 cents a round

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Stanley View Post

Stay away from the steel case ammo for the AR unless you want trouble to find you .

Jack
    Would you care to explain just what kind of trouble can happen with steel case ammo in an AR? I ask because mine shoots Tula 55 grain .223 really well with no malfunctions. I don't blast away or do mag dumps, I aim every shot. In fact, I don't think the barrel has ever gotten more than a little above ambient temperature. One guy told me that steel case is hard on extractors. All I know is we sell tons of Tula .223 at work and people just keep coming back for more.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    How's

Alot of gun for the money

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Broken extractors is what I was refering to but , if it works for you that's great .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGrimReaper View Post
    How's

Alot of gun for the money
    I almost bought that little Howa 223 they had for $329 because I have heard the brand is well thought of.I thought it was ugly due to the grayish green stock,and the lips around the mag well,but I think it is made like that to take AR mags.I may be wrong.I already have an Axis,and Henry in 223,but that little Howa is tempting.

Boolit Grand Master
    One thing to consider. Loading blasting ammunition on a SS press may not make economic sense. But if you shoot a lot, moving to a progressive could change things. I do not have my spreadsheet handy but IIRC I save about $.08-.10 per round. Making 50/hr does not save much...$4-5/hr.

I am currently loading test rounds using a Co-Ax. Once I have a load, I will likely use one of the 550’s. I can do 250-300/hr on it without pushing hard. I do not plan to shoot enough to justify loading 5.56 on the 1050.
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Stanley View Post
    Broken extractors is what I was refering to but , if it works for you that's great .

Jack
    Thanks. I read an article on Lucky Gunner which stated that the Russky ammo actually has a bimetallic jacket which wears the bore faster than the usual copper jacket. I really love my rifle so I'll limit the use of that stuff.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Banned

give me only one rifle and it would hands down be an ar15. It would be a tough choice between a 556 and a blackout. The blackout gives you the option or making practical rounds with cast bullets and is harder hitting but it gives up the 300 yard plus range the 556 has. Maybe a lower with a good drop in trigger and a 556 rifle upper and a 300 bo pistol upper. Id have to find a way to pear it down though. I don't think I could take off in the woods with all 14 of my ARs!!! Maybe the rifle and pistol upper and one of my 9mm handguns. Probably my 19 glock. There would be a few ars and 9s that would be tough to leave behind. even ar15s in 9mm!
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Lloyd nailed it. I have a rifle/caliber for every task and pleasure that suits me. But if I had to have only one rifle, it would be the AR15 with a few uppers. And if I was restricted to one caliber, it would be the 5.56 and a variety of jacketed bullets.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ShooterAZ View Post
    I've got a few flavors of 223 AR. All of them show the benefit of improved accuracy with judiciously handloaded ammo. My match rifles have never seen a factory load in them. No, you're not going to save money by doing it! It's all part of the fun for me.
    Definitely not going to save money once you consider the costs involved in the purchase of the reloading equipment involved. At first wow it sounds good because you can reload a round for xx cents less than the one you buy. You simply have to do it for the love of the sport. You spend xxx number of dollars purchasing a scale, dies, reloading press, head space gauge, vernier caliper and so forth just to save a few cents per round. This doesn't even take into consideration your time, a bench to bolt everything down to, the cost of beer or other consumables, a TV to watch or listen to while your reloading and a few basic comforts such as heat and air conditioning.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast