Reloading EverythingRepackboxLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Gun cleaning doo-dads.

Boolit Master

Gun cleaning doo-dads.

I was cleaning a pistol and revolver today and thinking about all the extra tools I have used over the years. Toothpicks, tooth brushes, dental picks, pop sickle sticks, chore boy pads, etc.

Any other items you guys have found useful that doesn’t come in the standard Walmart cleaning kit?
    Founder of the Single Shot section.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

8 in the 10 ring, then I get a PING. Love my Garand.

In the Service, we'd put M-16 parts in the Aviation Hydraulic shop's sonic cleaner that had chemicals in it that if you used today---
    the EPA would come after you in a black helicopter.

But it sure worked!!!
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

I use a couple of paper clips with a leg straightened out for a small poker and scraper. One straight and one with a small 90 degree hook bent on the end.

Boolit Master
    Forgot needle oiler bottle and chop sticks.
    Last edited by cabezaverde; 02-29-2020 at 06:33 PM.
    Founder of the Single Shot section.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

8 in the 10 ring, then I get a PING. Love my Garand.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Old School DA Revolver Field Cleaning Kit - Rev3- 7 Feb 2018

With thanks to FBI Academy and FLETC instructor cadre who have offered their suggestions, now incorporated here:

This is edited from an email I wrote responding to a youngster who inherited his Dad's old "cop gun" who asked what he needed for routine cleaning. I thought that my reply would be of general interest. This list is oriented towards the S&W DA revolver, but it also works with Colts, Rugers or modern auto pistols by making a few gun-specific mods when required where specific tools are recommended.

-------------- Original query was deleted to protect privacy of the innocent -------------

I was taught old school revolver and dislike aerosols, so I don’t use them. Their CO2 propellant causes moisture condensation on the gun, they are expensive for the amount of product and waste far too much in product in dispensing.

For general cleaning and lubrication I like Kano Kroil Brownell’s part no. 471-100-008WB Kroil Pour Can

Or Ed's Red. If you don't want to mix your own, you can buy it blended professionally from Brownell's Part No:
    083-150-001WB 4 oz. "Ed's Red" Bore Cleaner https://www.brownells.com/gun-cleani...prod19936.aspx

Avoid storing a pistol or revolver wrapped in any cotton cloth, because it attracts moisture. I use micro-fiber cloths from CountyComm to wipe guns carried as EDC daily, and to wrap them up after cleaning and before casing to secure in locked container for travel or longer term storage:

https://countycomm.com/collections/v...ro-fiber-cloth

Don’t store a revolver in a leather holster either, because the leather attracts moisture and long-term causes corrosion. If not routinely carrying, inspecting and wiping sweat and dirt off a handgun daily as EDC I store small revolvers or pocket automatics in a Maratec zippered PVC pouch from CountyComm which doesn’t look like a gun case:

https://countycomm.com/collections/p...epellant-pouch

My field cleaning gear goes into a small Cordura zipper pouch:
    https://countycomm.com/collections/p...hes-by-maratac

Recommended field cleaning gear to keep in the small Maratec zipper pouch:

Dewey 4” loop brass pistol rod, Brownell’s 234-000-070WB
    Brass loop patch holder .38 cal. /9mm Brownell’s 084-000-217WB
    Two Dewey COTTON bore mops for CLEANING/WIPING, .38 cal. pk. Of 3 749-000-168WB. Can be used for a quick field clean without using patches. Use one mop to wet the bore before brushing. This avoids dipping a dirty brush into the bore cleaner and contaminating it. Use the wet cotton mop again after brushing to remove loosened crud. Use a different dry mop to soak up excess excess solvent before oiling the gun lightly and putting it away.

One Brownell’s double-tuff bore brush .38 cal./9mm in kit, pack of 3 084-142-137WB
    One Brownell’s WOOL bore mop for OILING .38 cal./9mm in kit, pk. Of 3 084-415-037WB
    Brownell’s gun parts cleaning brush 676-450-001WB
    Or travel toothbrush https://countycomm.com/collections/v...vel-toothbrush

Brownell’s S&W revolver screwdriver bits only combo pack for S&W 080-087-002WB

Brownell’s Compact Magnetic LE screwdriver handle 080-089-006WB

Brownell’s needle oilers 3 pk. 084-000-361WB, allocated as below:

Bottle 1 - Kroil or Ed’s Red bore cleaner – ID by RED color when filled,
    Bottle 2 - USP H1 food grade mineral oil for lubrication - ID easily because contents are CLEAR
    Bottle 3 - Isopropyl alcohol to rinse mops and brushes after use. The "crud" falls to the bottom and will stay there. The implement dries quickly and is ready to go for the next range cleaning session. Alcohol is cheap (about a buck for a pint bottle). It takes a while for the alcohol to foul to the point where it needs to be replaced. You will notice that brushes and mops last a lot longer using this process.

Alternately some people use clear mineral spirits in the extra bottle before washing them with hot soapy water in the motel sink if out on the road. This gets the implements cleaner, but they then take longer to dry. But professional armorer's advice is to ALWAYS clean used mops for a cleaner gun!

Some people use a .40 cal. NYLON heavy-duty bore brush (Brownell's 084-444-017WB) .40/.41/10mm Pistol, 3 Pk) just for cleaning .38/.357 revolver CHAMBERS. This is a good idea when firing more than 100 rounds of lead bullet, especially .38 wadcutter ammo between cleanings. The nylon .40 cal. brush can also be used as expedient bore brush in a 9mm/.38/.357 without harm. If firing .38 Special lead bullet ammunition in revolvers with .357 chambers (Brownell's stainless steel CHAMBER brush 084-455-137WB .38/.357 per 3) does a better job of removing lead deposits from CHAMBERS, always used wet with Kroil, but SHOULD NOT BE USED IN THE BORE!

Norton UCS plastic scraper/cleaning stick, is non-scratching and great for getting encrusted fouling out of the nooks and crannies around the revolver barrel extension, the frame window or auto pistol slide face. MUCH better than the sharpened wooden Popsicle sticks we used to use in my time!

https://countycomm.com/collections/v...cleaning-stick

For routine lubrication I use only ordinary USDA H1 rated pure USP mineral oil from the drug store, applied with patch, toothpick, Q-tip or eye dropper. Good read on subject. Most "gun lubes" are expensive "snake oil".

http://www.grantcunningham.com/2012/...-on-your-guns/
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master
    When I was in the navy, we used a 5.56 stripper clip (spring liner IIRC) to scrape carbon from inside the M-16 bolt carrier.

Robert

Boolit Master
    I use a BIC pen top with the pocket clip as an all purpose non marring scraper and tool for getting in and around the forcing cone of revolvers and any other nook and cranny that is hard to reach.

Boolit Master
    VFG wads are excellent.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	th-14.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	18.0 KB 
ID:	257700

Boolit Master

I use a lot of Q-Tips. As well as Acetone and Alcohol.
    Larry

Boolit Buddy
    I use flat artists brushes to apply solvent to 1911 slides, and cut the tip of the brush to fit into the slide and hold a patch to clean them. Works great.

Tons of q-tips. Too bad they dont hold up very well but there are much better ones in the womens cosmetic isle.

I've never found Qtips to be particularly useful for firearms.

Probably one thing I do differently is I use a section of modified rifle rod for a pistol and bench rod. I take an aluminum rod section and bend the mail end to a c shape for a handle and a hook to hang it. I find this handy for many things, but I much prefer it for cleaning pistols than a rod with a spinny handle.

Once before I had a pair of machinist tweezers that I slightly blunted the nose. They were excellent for holding a patch and getting in the locking lugs of a 1911 slide and other hard to get to spots.

I also had a piece of 5/32 brass rod that I tapered the end and used as a carbon scraper.

And I use a small bottle for oil. It comes from dollar general with breath mint liquid in it for .50. I can the blue liquid and bleach the bottle with hot water and let it set a while. Then fill it with my oil of choice. I keep one in my pocket all the time. You'de never believe how handy that has become. From my pocket knife to my carry gun, to a lock or dog snap outside. Many times it's saved me a trip back to the house or shed.

Boolit Master
    I use one of the ratchet-type M-14 brass chamber brushes for cleaning .38/.357 cylinders- works perfectly!
    Loren