RepackboxInline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9mm case. What are the best cases for cast?

9mm case. What are the best cases for cast?

This 9mm case wall thickness, capacity and taper question has been worked to death but I can't seem to find posts explicitly saying which cases to look for when sorting range brass.
    Inside taper is bad news with cast bullets and some brands of cases have severe taper.

If I was going through a pile of brass what cases to look for and while we're at it what length?I

Thank you
    Ted

(Taper can cause a bullet to be resized.smaller)
    Last edited by nelsonted1; 02-29-2020 at 02:56 PM.

Boolit Master
    Not sure why you are concerned about case length, most are under trim length anyway. Sorting by HS is preferred so you have a consistent setting when seating and crimping. Foreign and military cases often times are set aside for worst case use when the cases will not be recovered. crimped primers are generally avoided due to the extra labor involved. Inside taper is not usually an issue unless you are shooting 147 gr bullets which are longer than the 115-125 grain bullets. The best brass is the one you have the most of to work with.

Moderator Emeritus

I sort all my 9mm cases. I have had the best reloading success with Winchester and R+P.
    S+P and Amerc are the worst.
    When I was using 9mm cases as 40 cal jackets for swaging jacketed bullets, I would weigh-sort them, and I noticed that Blazer has the lowest weight spread than others, so they are probably one of the best in regards to having consistent case capacity...maybe?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Unless you are using heavyweight boolits in your 9mm, the taper never really gets involved. The shorter 115 grain and 125 grain boolits don't usually seat deeply enough into the case to run into the taper.
    With the heavier boolits, such as the 147 or heavier, I can see a possible problem there. When I am using heavier boolits, I use a design that keeps the majority of the boolit outside the case and doesn't seat much deeper, if any, than the 125 grain boolits. The Lyman 356637 is famous for needing to be seated deeply in order to function. There are designs from NOE and others that remove this issue.
    There are a few brands of brass that have a ledge built into the case inside that prevents deep seating and decreases case capacity. I don't know the head stamps as they tend to be rare but they do appear from time to time.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    With 147-grain cast bullets I use either Starline or Lapua brass.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Federal are straightwall and give me the least trouble. Even if your boolit isn't long enough to run into taper, your expander plug may cause a bulge.

Banned
    I find the empty ones work best

Unless I'm really seeking the best accuracy or operating near max levels, I don't even bother to sort them beyond what is needed for safety and function. No aluminum cases, no steel cases, no Berdan primers, none of those funky ones with the step inside the case. Other than that, Winchester, Federal, R-P and others go in the same container.
    When I'm pushing the envelope (which I rarely do when shooting 9mm), I will sort by manufacture. Those are 124 gr FMJ running right at the upper limit of standard pressure (not +P).

I use what ever box primer case I get , they all do what I want.As long they are brass. when in use you will have a lost of some.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    I asked the same question about a year ago on one of the forums here. People have different experiences with various cases, which can vary in thickness from even one manufacturer. I have a 9mm with a .358 groove diameter, so I load .358-.359 bullets. I set aside Blazer and Federal cases for use with fatter than normal 9mm lead bullets, and the results with 125 gr. bullets have been good.

Boolit Master

In tinkering around with a Blackhawk convertible in 9mm and some higher end loads, I found that FC and Speer gave me less pressure signs. The R-P and WWs tended to give up the ghost after about 3 loadings. May have been my loads. Just my own experience. Seems as if the capacity is a little more in these two and a little means a lot in the 9mm./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Buddy
    Tula brass is the thickest and with oversized cast bullets can become unworkable.

Boolit Master
    I tend to keep win, WW, federal, R-P, Speer, Sig, Hornady, lapua and starline. I haven’t noticed a taper problem with any of these. When in doubt pull and measure a loaded bullet.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Luber View Post
    Federal are straightwall and give me the least trouble. Even if your boolit isn't long enough to run into taper, your expander plug may cause a bulge.
    All 9 mm Luger rounds are tapered. Once if’s fired the wall is straight. That’s why when you make 9 mm Makarov (9x18) from 9 mm Luger(9x19) the brass has to be fireformed. 9 mm Luger is tapered 9 mm Makarov is straight Walled. So once it’s fired 9 mm Luger brass is now straight walled. Honestly I’ve never Mic factory ammunition so I can’t say if one brand has more of a taper. If you don’t believe me take a brand new factory loaded 9 mm Luger round pull the bullet, And try running it through a Makarov sizing for, you’ll know the difference right away. regardless of the fact that 9 mm Luger is 1 mm longer than 9 mm Makarov.
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by trapper9260 View Post
    I use what ever box primer case I get , they all do what I want.As long they are brass. when in use you will have a lost of some.
    + one trapper
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Banned

kind you find laying on the ground at the range for free!

Banned
    I don't sort any 9mm. I simply clean them and load them. Some I load with 160gr lead round nose and they feed and shoot accurately and reliably. Never had one malfunction on any 9mm that I loaded. I don't bother with length I just shoot and reload them till they die.

Boolit Master
    I've had very good results with older Winchester brass, much of it at least thirty years old. I have no idea how many times it has been reloaded, almost exclusively with cast bullets. It seems thinner than other brass and case bulging is not a concern even when using .358" bullets. I tried other brass, sometimes it's fine, other times there is a bulge. Whether or not the newer Winchester brass will accommodate cast bullet as well as the old stuff, I don't know.

Boolit Master
    Every headstamp that is Boxer primed. The only Lapua, I've run across were Berdan. My records show that I have gotten 15 reloadings out of S&P brass. The brass with the step/shelf go in the scrap.

Never sorted 9 mm brass, till I purchased a carbine. Now, I sort for consistancy/accuracy. Half dozen of my 9 mm pistols don't care. I prefer either CCI Blazer or Federal brass, whenever I have a choice.

Winelover
    Last edited by winelover; 03-01-2020 at 09:08 AM. Reason: spelling

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    I find the empty ones work best

Unless I'm really seeking the best accuracy or operating near max levels, I don't even bother to sort them beyond what is needed for safety and function. No aluminum cases, no steel cases, no Berdan primers, none of those funky ones with the step inside the case. Other than that, Winchester, Federal, R-P and others go in the same container.
    When I'm pushing the envelope (which I rarely do when shooting 9mm), I will sort by manufacture. Those are 124 gr FMJ running right at the upper limit of standard pressure (not +P).
    Same for mine , but I don't load any max 9mm.
    I used to sort by head stamp and some of the guys I shoot with would out shoot me most days they both loaded in mixed brass . I started shooting mixed brass and was able to out shoot the same guys I always outshot the two that outshot me before still did most of the time made 0 difference that I could see for what we were doing .
    Mainly CC guns with 3 to 4" barrels bullets 124gr to 135gr
    I am sure a more complex sorting and load work up would make a difference for bulls eye or hunting but my nines don't do those things.

Boolit Master
    Barrel chambers are all over the place even from the same manufacturer. My brass tends to run shy of the barrel hood by a couple thousandths when empty. If they are excessive, they get tossed. I sort by headstamp. If I get a bunch from the same training session that used all the same lot, I'll set those aside for match shooting. I've yet to find a piece of 9x19 brass that didn't have a taper where the web started. Case walls from there to the mouth are different lot to lot in the same manufacturer. Dies do wear out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast