WidenersLee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Load DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Large pistol primers

Boolit Master
    Winchester is the only primers I have used, or WILL use.

Boolit Master
    I mostly use Winchester but don't have problems with other brands.

Boolit Master

I like about any of them and have used all of them at one time or another , tula and wolf before you could not get them were good , cci and winchester are fine , hated the federal packaging , always looking for a good buy and wish wolf was available again , really no preference on large pistol as far as I am concerned

I have used them all as well but prefer CCI.

Federal has the WORST packaging!

Boolit Buddy

I like Federal, but I'll use anything if primers are scarce.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Between my buddy and I we're shooting around 700-800 rounds per week.

At that point it's boils down to whatever we can get the best price on.

I really wish I had purchased a LOT more the of S&B primers.

We've been getting Winchester pistol primers for $27.50/1000 at the gun show. That's the best price we've found. The one really fully stocked reloading store close to me sells CCI and Winchester at $32/1000. Even that price is pretty hard to beat since everyone is now charging sales tax.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by oldsalt444 View Post
    Whatever is on sale. I usually end up with Winchester. A primer is a primer is a primer. The differences are insignificant except for magnum primers.
    This couldn't be farther for the truth. Each primer most certainly is different, and the difference between a standard and magnum is anything but clear cut. Sometimes (many times) a standard primer produces higher velocity, sometimes the magnum does. Sometimes the easily igniting Unique shoots better with a X standard, sometimes a Y standard, sometimes a Z magnum. Usually brand X produces mediocre 70+ fps ES's, and brand Y brings that down into the 20's or 30's.

I have never found a bad primer, in that they didn't fire. I keep a small amount of all kinds of primers to try. That said, day in and day out, Federal is the brand I use the most, and the brand I stock thousands of.

As a general rule, large rifle and large pistol primers are about the most standardized primers there are, so the choices are a lot easier to make. The small pistol and small rifle primers are where things get muddy. Shotgun primers are all over the map.

I only worry about performance myself, but there are two things most are aware of. #1 Federal uses large trays for their primers. They take up twice the space to store. #2 Winchester doesn't nickel plate their primers. They seat hard as a result. It's not bad, but I'd rather they were nickel plated.

Beyond that, I only worry about how they perform in a load. I find Federal is usually about the best. There isn't a lot of talk about Remington primers, but they often produce wonderful results.

For large pistol primers I stick with Winchester. That way I dont have to stock two different LPPs (standard and magnum).

The few occasions that I couldnt get Winchester LPP I bought whatever I could get my hands on...S&B, Remington, and CCI. I havent had any issues with any of them.

For small pistol primers always buy CCI by the case.

This should be a poll... Maybe make a poll thread?
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Mold
    For large pistol, I use Winchester. Had a few duds with Remington.

Banned
    Anything that goes bang when I pull the trigger with the exception of Russian primers. I made the mistake of getting some of those and had a heck of a time seating them.
    Last edited by 6bg6ga; 03-03-2020 at 11:40 AM.

Boolit Master
    Mostly I use whatever is the best price but I have a Taurus in 32 S&W that doesn't strike very hard and most primers will have miss fires so I use Federals for it. Hate the packaging but they work. Remington, Winchester and CCI are what I have the most.

I have used just about every brand, they all work fine. Some guys shooting tuned revo will go Federal, but I just look for cheapest. I do NOT care for Russian made stuff though, poor QC plus supporting Putin, no thx.
    Last edited by fredj338; 03-04-2020 at 04:36 PM.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master

Overwhelmingly, I load CCIs. I do like Remington too.

All primers I've used have gone bang except an S&B --suspect a missing anvil. Primer cup looked like a circus tent that caved in on itself. I've never seen anything like it. Wish I tool a pic.

I've used CCI, Rem, Win, Magtech and S&B. Only CCI comes in APS strips, and they are the bees knees for my press.
    Last edited by Taterhead; 03-03-2020 at 07:29 PM.
    "There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something."
    ~Thorin Oakenshield

Out here in darkest Africa you cannot really be picky on what type of primer you use, especially with LP primers. So in my time I have used CCI, Winchester, Federal, Remington, Fiocchi, Murom and lately almost all we can get is S&B.
    I know many guys say here on the forum that S&B is not good, but I really cannot say that they are any worse that any of the brands I mentioned, and in all my years of shooting 45acp, if I got one misfire out of maybe 150k shots, that is it.
    If I had a choice, I would go with Federal (they prime the easiest, nice and soft) and CCI second best.

Boolit Master
    Winchester the most but have used cci , fed , Remington they all work for me.
    I bought 4K LP S&B at a good price they were great wish I had bought 20k of them.

Boolit Master
    Winchester or CCI, though I'm having a few issues in my 625PC.

An Apex pin & spring are en route, I hope they'll fix it. If not i may bevshopping for Federals.

Back in the 80s I bought a Model 24-3 and immediately got a competition action job done on it. The DA pull breaks between 7 & 7.5 lbs, but it's never failed to pop any primer.

I used CCI almost exclusively for 15 years, blisfully ignorant of primer hardness.

Banned
    Took inventory. I have 7 boxes of Winchester and 7 boxes of CCI primers. The CCI are small and large rifle and the Winchester are pistol.

Boolit Grand Master

After going through the Great Primer & Powder Depression of 2009 I like any primer I can get my hands on . I've used every brand from Alcan primers to Winchester and they all work .
    Don't know about Russian Primers . Bought some Sellier & Bellot primers on sale but haven't used them yet . So far they all work just fine even the old Alcan primers .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Quote Originally Posted by hermans View Post
    Out here in darkest Africa you cannot really be picky on what type of primer you use, especially with LP primers. So in my time I have used CCI, Winchester, Federal, Remington, Fiocchi, Murom and lately almost all we can get is S&B.
    I know many guys say here on the forum that S&B is not good, but I really cannot say that they are any worse that any of the brands I mentioned, and in all my years of shooting 45acp, if I got one misfire out of maybe 150k shots, that is it.
    If I had a choice, I would go with Federal (they prime the easiest, nice and soft) and CCI second best.
    S&B have run fine for me in LP & SR, no issues, even in striker fired guns.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast