Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
RepackboxLee PrecisionWidenersTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How can you tell when you live in a small town

Moderator Emeritus

Bar, co-op/elevator/gas station, bank, post office... ans if a strange car is in town the cell phone alert system lights up with where it is and who is in it LOL

Banned
    elevator, 1 bar, Post office open 4 hours a week, vote at the sheriffs office 14 miles away and not a stoplight in my county

Boolit Master

My youth was spent in Birkhardt, Wi. Pop. 87 on week ends, and 86 during the week when my dad went to work on the RailRoad.
    One bar, one Luthern Church, and a Cloverfarm grocery store. One room school for grades 1-6. To get the rest of the grades we were bused to Hudson 7mi away. You could walk out to the street and see every house in town. Loved the place.
    Ole Jack
    "'Necesity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of Tyrants: it is the creed of slaves."
    William Pitt, 1783
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we faulter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln.

Boolit Master
    Couple times a week tractors or other farm equipment use the main drag to get around. And the locals don't mind sharing the road.

Boolit Master
    You know its a small town when the big social event of the week is going to the dump and you know everyone there plus you find out whose yard had the most recent bear (or cougar) sighting.

You know you live in a small town when you lock your car doors to keep people from filling the front seat with zucchini.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    what's a car door lock?

I bought a 95 Fleetwood. My buddies 7 year old son wanted to know where I was gonna put the deer to bring it home.

Boolit Master

I would think to call my area a small town but with all the meth heads sexual molesters and crappy court setting them free as fast as possible it might as well be a suburb of Detriot! (because really is it Detroit without a riot)
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Master
    the high school in the town near me now had drive your tractor to school day Friday.

Boolit Master
    I lived in a small town where half of the girls were my distant relatives.
    My ancestors had been there over 100 years and the population was only about 200 plus the farmers even further out in the sticks.

I knew one family I was related to.
    Some of my family were related to both the father and the mother so they were double cousins.

I knew another girl who was a distant cousin through my grandmother. Her husband was my distant cousin through my grandfather.
    EDG

I am from Snakerun IN there was a feed store groceries store telephone exchange where every one know what was going on are ring was 3 long 2 short one gas pump you had to pump up the gas by hand the glass bulb has marks that read 1 gal up to 5 gal OO we got are mail there I can r ember when we got are electricity and 2 years later we got the phone every one help every one out NOW it is all gone the close town is Fort Branch and they do NOT have a groceries store 2 gas stations 3 places to eat that is where I would like to move back ther again I live in Princeton In 7 miles north to By the way there is sign alone Hy 168 that has Snakerun they are about 3 miles apart OO there are 2 churches alone 168 one still has the old one room school most of the people was from Germany some were Protestant and some were Catholic and all were friends and help every one out it would be good if the world was like that to day
    Last edited by AABEN; 03-02-2020 at 11:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    I bet most of those protesters were from Moscow, my hometown. It's a shame what it's become; the most liberal and leftist town in Idaho. I have to drive there every week and I am amazed at the the level of human debris on display at Winco and Walmart (when I used to shop there).

I love Palouse, but it's in Washington, and Washington has gone crazy with anti-gun laws, so I'll probably be building a house on my dad's 10-acre property out on Hwy 95 within a decade.

How's that old cornbinder coming? My stepdad found a `74 Scout half-cab a couple of years ago he's been fixing up, but he's getting too old for the manual steering and 4spd, so he's going to sell it this summer.
    I think most of the protesters were from the Western side of Washington but I am not sure. I'll pm you about Cornbinders. JW

General Dollar is our supermarket, the only store selling groceries for 30 miles. 1 gas station, 3 churches, the ATV's out number people 4:1 and you cant park at the bar because the parking-lot is full of ATV's or Snowmobiles. We drive the Polaris 6x6 to church in the summer.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dapaki View Post
    General Dollar is our supermarket, the only store selling groceries for 30 miles. 1 gas station, 3 churches, the ATV's out number people 4:1 and you cant park at the bar because the parking-lot is full of ATV's or Snowmobiles. We drive the Polaris 6x6 to church in the summer.
    I visit a town like that every so often. Elk River, ID. This was the scene from my table last summer at one of two local bars...

Attachment 257879
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Moderator Emeritus

Took my 70 year old friend grocery shopping today. Picked her up in front of the apartments so no big deal. The snow melt had a small lake in the street in front so I dropped her off at the back door where my truck is never seen. Every apartment window had a face peering out to see who it was LOL

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    You know you live in a small town when you lock your car doors to keep people from filling the front seat with zucchini.
    Hilarious! I despise zucchini season! I'll take one to make bread, but beyond that, no thanks.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

The lil ole' town I lived in when I turned 14 was so small, if I noticed a cute girl and took a shine to her I had to ask one of the old folks if I might be kin to her or not.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Boolit Grand Master

When the tallest structure for the Christmas star is the grain bins at the elevator in town. The towns I grew up closest to had one school,2 bars in the city limits, 3 churches 1 garage, 2 gas stations and a grocery store. The closet 2 towns shared a post office 1/2 day each. one had a church fire station and carry out. the other had a hardware store and a community water pump.

Small towns can be very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    This is a real thing. Zucchini and yellow squash raids happen here all the time. On a good year, you'll have tomato, cucumber and pepper raids as well. It's quite maddening when you're trying to figure out who to dump your excess on and they beat you to it!!!!!
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Master

The town we lived in was so small and remote they had to ship sunlight in by tanker truck once a week.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast