RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackbox
Load DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How can you tell when you live in a small town

How can you tell when you live in a small town

They put the local Gun Show on the front page of your newspaper.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GunShow+.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	71.8 KB 
ID:	257671
    Last edited by MaLar; 02-29-2020 at 02:44 AM.
    Those who choose violence as a first option are typically confronted by somebody else using violence as a last resort.

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you’ll enjoy it a second time.

Do not confuse my being polite for weakness.
    Using MX Linux 21

From the free state of Idaho

Moderator Emeritus

Nice. I was just told about the Village Trader after being here three years. They have pages of guns for sale. Not really a small town paper but I am from Jersey. Was like a kid in a candy store looking through it.

Boolit Master
    I knew I moved to small town when pictures and stories of car wrecks on the front page of the paper were a regular occurrence.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Boolit Master
    You live in a small town when they only have a gas station, a grain elevator, and one bar. The other bar burned down 10 years ago.

Boolit Master
    Everybody also has their own spot to park when we go in for coffee every morning, and everyone leaves their muddy 5-buckles outside the front door

Boolit Master

My town is so small, we don't even have a newspaper. Two bars, three churches, one grocery store, and no stoplights. But we do have a city park with a pool!

Attachment 257673
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Potlatch has their gun show in the grade school. Had some folks gonna protest it a couple years ago but there was a strong Idaho State Police showing in Potlatch that day, as well as lots of Latah County Sheriff Deputies. No protests happened, and our County Sheriff had his table as usual. JW

Boolit Master
    when even the name tells you. I lived near Littlestown pa. for 30 years. they put the second traffic light in 3 years ago.

Boolit Master
    We’re moving up in the world with 4 red lights (with cameras) and a way to bypass all of them. Still experience grid lock though.

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    The little town I grew up in, had Longville on one sign coming in and exactly 1,320 feet away it had a second Longville sign !!!!!!!!!! Pointing the other direction, of course!!!!! Hahahaha!!!!!!!!
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Boolit Buddy
    In my shoes. And where ever they take me.
    Driving thru town any time of week and there are several people actually talking to each other in conversation, waving at others passing by, or they are greeting each other. Or people waiting to cross the street instead of taking my ability to use my brakes and paitence to slow for them.

Not just speedwalking staring at there phone. Being oblivious to the entire world...

Boolit Master
    I have a second home in a very small town and spend half of each month there. I should probably say village. No red lights, only a small handful of stop signs. Some street intersections don't even have stop signs. Many streets are single lane wide. No bars (which suits me), but 3 churches. There is only one commercial establishment. It's a small grocery, bait shop, deli, and gas station combination. Good cheese burgers can be had there. Just about everybody knows everyone by their first name. There is an elementary school. Population is less than 500. This village is 200 miles from my primary residence but I gladly make the drive every month. I have 7 1/2 acres there and hunt deer on that small parcel. I also have a 100 yard handgun silhouette range on my property. Along with one of my cousins, we lease about 900 acres to hunt deer and small game. This lease is a short 2 minute drive from my property. The lease also has a 17 acre lake that we fish for bass and bluegill.

Life is good.
    Last edited by high standard 40; 02-29-2020 at 12:31 PM.

Moderator Emeritus

Well Pocatello was the big city when I lived in SE Idaho 35 years ago. The Idaho State Urinal was a decent paper then also.
    IMO a small town has to legally be a town not a city in it's charter. Our nearest town is a town, less than 1,000 population and no way would I live in town and put up with its regulations.
    high standard 40, Our county has 3 flashing yellow lights and one stop light, with two interstate freeways running through it. Toen of 1000 people and 1500 others in a 15 mile radius has 5 bars, 12 churches, an A&W/KFC, Subway and two other restaurants. A beauty shop that will cut mens hair, two mechanic/tire shops and a grocery store. There is one wal-mart in a 50 mile radius. That is just how I like it.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho Mule View Post
    Potlatch has their gun show in the grade school. Had some folks gonna protest it a couple years ago but there was a strong Idaho State Police showing in Potlatch that day, as well as lots of Latah County Sheriff Deputies. No protests happened, and our County Sheriff had his table as usual. JW
    I bet most of those protesters were from Moscow, my hometown. It's a shame what it's become; the most liberal and leftist town in Idaho. I have to drive there every week and I am amazed at the the level of human debris on display at Winco and Walmart (when I used to shop there).

I love Palouse, but it's in Washington, and Washington has gone crazy with anti-gun laws, so I'll probably be building a house on my dad's 10-acre property out on Hwy 95 within a decade.

How's that old cornbinder coming? My stepdad found a `74 Scout half-cab a couple of years ago he's been fixing up, but he's getting too old for the manual steering and 4spd, so he's going to sell it this summer.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Grand Master

Three traffic lights, three gas stations, less than 3000 people and no bars here. We have a weekly paper but any news will have already been on the grapevine by the time the paper is out. A lot of the citizens still don't lock their doors or cars, which is kind of foolish to me. Its pretty common to see guns in trucks, rubber boots stuck in the crack between the bed and cab and many of us have a dog that rides in the back of the truck.

I've lived and worked here for 30 years. I would much rather be on a dark country road at night than in a big city! My neighbor and I kind of compete to see who gets our trash cans out to the street on trash day and back to the house after they are emptied. Who ever is first gets both of them! If you forget your check book at the grocery store they just tell you to bring a check back after while. The Ladys at the bank call you by name and ask about your Grandkids.

Small towns, yea! Would hate to move back to the citys!

Boolit Buddy

Well I think so far I have everyone beat when it comes to small towns. We have one Post Office (open 4 hrs in the morning), three stop signs and three roads (one being a dead-end).
    The general store closed down 40 years and is now a home. No other business except for a couple of work at home welders and tractor mechanics.
    Nearest town with stores for groceries, gas, hardware, etc. is 4 1/2 miles away with nothing but farm land in between.
    "An armed society is a polite society" R.A. Heinlein 1907 - 1988

You know you live in a small area when you live 4 miles out of town and need to call for the law and it is just the Sheriff department to call and maybe take them 10 to 20 minutes to show up. and you got more dirt roads around you then pave roads.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

You know you live in a small area when you live 4 miles out of town and need to call for the law and it is just the Sheriff department to call and maybe take them 10 to 20 minutes to show up. and you got more dirt roads around you then pave roads. oh by the way guns show signs are on the main roads where everyone can see them
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Buddy
    When the town night watchman " Fritz" would ask you to keep an eye on a car he did not recognize. There was usually a burn out contest at the 4 way stop in town on sat. night starting about 9:30. The good ole days.
    SALUTE !!!
    Last edited by cupajoe; 02-29-2020 at 07:20 PM.

Boolit Master

I live out in the sticks so far that I have to walk toward town to go hunting.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast