Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyWidenersLee Precision
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Load Data Repackbox

Thread: Need PID Help

Boolit Master

Need PID Help

I have used my PID setup for several years.(Auburn SYL 2352) I turned it on today and I heard a "pop"
    Somehow the element shifted in the pot and had the element grounded. I have a fuse in the PID but it did not blow. It knocked the 120V breaker in the breaker box.
    I corrected the ground but now the PID has lost its program. The PID will not shut the element off at the set temp. As long as the PID is energized the heating element is energized. I was casting and looked over at the control and the lead temp. was 850 F.
    I started on the instructions but there is so much I am not familiar with. Can someone give me a quick reference to reset it?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by wv109323 View Post
    I have used my PID setup for several years.(Auburn SYL 2352) I turned it on today and I heard a "pop"
    Somehow the element shifted in the pot and had the element grounded. I have a fuse in the PID but it did not blow. It knocked the 120V breaker in the breaker box.
    I corrected the ground but now the PID has lost its program. The PID will not shut the element off at the set temp. As long as the PID is energized the heating element is energized. I was casting and looked over at the control and the lead temp. was 850 F.
    I started on the instructions but there is so much I am not familiar with. Can someone give me a quick reference to reset it?
    The 2352 is for a SSR and only outputs low dc voltage to control the SSR. There is no load flowing through the PID, so I’m guessing the SSR is fried. The SSRs are like $10 for a 25 amp.

Boolit Master

You may be right. If there is high load on the SSR (in my case the short of the element ) will the SSR fail in the "closed " mode? I reckon at simple continuity test across the ssr would tell me. I will test that.

Boolit Master

It looks like the ssr was the problem. It is shorted across.