Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackbox
Load Data Wideners

Thread: Mystery headstamp marking.......

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!

Mystery headstamp marking.......

I had just finished shooting my #4 rifle today and was packing up for home, when I looked down and saw 5 forlorn cases on the ground. It didn't take me long to identify them as 8 x 57 Mauser, and Boxer primed to boot! When I got home I searched the internet for the headstamp, which is "FCPO" and below that "45".......couldn't find it anywhere. I did find an "FCPQ", but that's not it.

Does anyone know where these cases were made? Corrosive primed? They look perfectly reloadable as is.

My guess would be...

Fábrica De Cartuchos e Pólvoras Quimicas, Chelas, Portugal... 1945, corrosive.

http://https://www.bing.com/th?id=OIP.lLPxI2uY6wzaCZRrRu9SvgHaHR&pid=Api&dpr=1 .33
    Last edited by Bwana John; 02-28-2020 at 09:38 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bwana John View Post
    My guess would be...

Fábrica De Cartuchos e Pólvoras Quimicas, Chelas, Portugal... 1945, corrosive.
    Not anymore.

just sayin'

Quote Originally Posted by la5676 View Post
    Not anymore.

just sayin'
    It might have choked Arti, but it ain't gonna choke Styme.

I'd rinse well and dry the cases before I reloaded um.

Boolit Master

Well, you're probably right...........I didn't look at that last letter under a magnifying glass, and it very well could be a "Q".

I'll wash, rinse and reload. Thanks!

Boolit Master

Well, I placed the first cleaned case under my Lee decapping die and promptly bent the pin. At that point, all five cases got scrunched with pliers and tossed in the scrap brass bucket. The primers were lightly staked, but tremendously tight, so not worth the effort.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by 3006guns View Post
    Well, I placed the first cleaned case under my Lee decapping die and promptly bent the pin. At that point, all five cases got scrunched with pliers and tossed in the scrap brass bucket. The primers were lightly staked, but tremendously tight, so not worth the effort.
    I think you will find that the cases were berdan primed,all the FCPQ ammunition I have is berdan primed.

Boolit Master

Nope..........definitely Boxer. I checked all of them with a strong flashlight......one flash hole in each.......now that flash hole COULD have been under size which would bend the decapping pin. In either case, they were worthless so out they went.

I already ordered two more pins.....always nice to have a spare or two around!

Guess it's all water under the bridge now, but I've examined lots of Berdan primed cases that fooled me by having what appeared to be a hole in the middle where a Boxer primer flash hole would be. I think it's made when the Berdan anvil is extruded into the flash hole from the base. A de-primed Berdan case has a raised anvil in the center that the primer crushes on, and the metal has to come from somewhere.

Boolit Master

I was loading some 45acp and dillon press came to a stop , pulled buttons pulled brass had a oddball 45acp berdan primed with the smallest of twin holes , drilled a hole now its boxer for the rest of its life , funny thing that brass looked well worn on the head . Mystery where it got into my brass at as most of it has been shot and loaded again and again.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have a little fiber optic gizmo attached to the end of my mini-mag. With it, I can insert the probe into cases to be examined and see the innards very well. Beats trying to get the right angle / light to see in there.