Titan ReloadingRepackboxLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyLoad DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication

Thread: Rock Chucker II for swaging?

Rock Chucker II for swaging?

I have two RC IIs that are set up for swaging with solid rams and ejector frames. I bought them a few years ago at auction.

Are these a viable setup for swaging and what style dies do these take? The ejector is held onto the ram with a threaded collar but I don't see how a stem would attach to that.
    I just want to know what I have and what it takes to get them in service.

Boolit Master

btsniper makes and sells almost the same thing. yes you can use those presses for swagging but only on the smaller end like 17 caliber up to maybe 35 caliber, as you get to the larger sizes it takes more ummpf and those are just not made for heavy duty swagging.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master
    A lot of people use those presses to swage smaller rifle bullets - especially .224 and 6mm bullets with dies from Niemi and a couple of other makers.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Huvius View Post
    ...SNIP

Are these a viable setup for swaging and what style dies do these take? The ejector is held onto the ram with a threaded collar but I don't see how a stem would attach to that.

Typically, swage Dies that are sold by large reloading die manufacturers (like RCBS or CH) for swaging bullets in a reloading Press, The stem (technically known as a base punch) typically would mount on the ram like a shell holder.
    Here is a image of a RCBS set, with shell holder style base punch:
    https://dygtyjqp7pi0m.cloudfront.net...D6C7DCF4987AB0

Your RCII presses seemingly have "homemade" ejectors, so I would assume, there would be threads inside the center hole of the Ram nut, Since the Ram nut looks custom made, I suspect there would be a custom made base punch for it.

If you are going to get these up and swaging ...and have some swage Dies with 7/8 threads that fit the Press, but no base punch, someone like BT_Sniper or any talented Machinist should be able to make a base punch.
    Good Luck.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Home Depot, Lowes, etc. sell "extruded channel" that make GREAT verk pierces (MUCH greater bending strength) than those flat bars.

Boolit Master

The ejector pin needs to be attached to the top flat bar via a hole and nuts on top and bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by DDriller View Post
    The ejector pin needs to be attached to the top flat bar via a hole and nuts on top and bottom.
    Pretty sure this setup used does with a floating ejector pin - mushroom top looking affair.