Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading Everything
RepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Load Data
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 9mm vs 45 1911?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by walnut1704 View Post
    I have one of each. A 9mm Springfield Stainless Loaded Target and a .45 Kimber Gold Match II. The 9mm is tough to find accurate loads with lead bullets. You can expect to work on that for a long time. Whereas the .45 shoots really well with a variety of loads.

I'd go .45.
    Now that was helpful!

Boolit Master
    Shooting a good 1911 45 in ACP is just so much fun it makes you smile while looking at those big holes in the target.

Boolit Master

Figured my eyes aren't going to get any better, so I went with the upgraded sights...

https://armscor.com/firearms/ria/roc...dard-fs-45acp/

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvercreek Farmer View Post
    Figured my eyes aren't going to get any better, so I went with the upgraded sights...

Good choice SF. You will have fun with it.
    Don Verna

That pistol is nearly identical to what my Springfield Mil-Spec ended up after a few mods.

For what it's worth, I have a Springfield Range Officer in 9mm, that shoots anything I run through it quite accurately. It handles cast as accurately as jacketed and never seems to lead the barrel. I have never had issues with this pistol.

Boolit Master
    almost identical to my springfeild 1911-a1 45 and it to will run anything you put in it,round nose,hollow point cast or jacketed

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelguns 1961 View Post
    My guess is that you end up with one of each eventually. That is what happened to me.
    Yeah it happens

Boolit Bub

Good idea. That why I got the Target/Match versions of the ones I bought. They have adjustable sights with a giant rear sight blade. I hope you enjoy it.

Boolit Master
    I have a few of them. As issued Colt Model 1911 Military from 1918, ATI commander length in 45 ACP, Colt National Match in .38spcl and an STI Trojan in 9mm. As I get older I am liking the 9mm more. I guess it depends on what you want it for. The 9mm is more pain to reload right than the 45 but bulk ammo for the 9mm can be half that of the 45. If you happen to own a nice carbine of some sort in 9mm, then no brainer. I'd have one kind of ammo and be done. I like the 45s but my wrist cant take a day 45 in a commander like it can a day of 9mm in a full frame.

For pure shooting enjoyment I prefer the STI 9mm (also just a nicer gun). For nostalgia, I like to get the 1918 vintage Colt to the range. For pure paper punching it's hard to top that 38 wadcutter but the 5 round mags can test your patience.. (-:}

At the end of the day my worst 1911 is pretty good. Sounds like you made a good choice. Perfect if you are an avid caster/reloader.
    Last edited by arlon; 03-02-2020 at 06:49 PM.

Banned

i've had three 1911's - rem r1, ruger sr, and SA mil.spec - all full size and in .45acp. the only downside is finding range brass, where .45acp is not easily found in a literal ocean of 9mm brass. my next 1911 style will be 9mm.

Boolit Master

JMHO, but going thru life without owning at least one 45acp 1911 is somewhat akin to being born without testicles....you might survive, but why?
    An old Cherokee was teaching his grandson about life. "Inside me two wolves fight," he told the boy.
    "One is evil - he is anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity, resentment, lies, false pride, and ego. The other is good - he is joy, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, generosity, truth and faith. The same fight is inside you - and every other person, too."
    The grandson thought for a minute and asked,"Which wolf will win?"
    The old Cherokee replied, "The one you feed."

I vote 45 acp. The 1911 was designed for it / around it.

I picked up a Springfield 1911 MILSPEC (not the GI version which has the tiny front site and small rear sight). The MILSPEC version has much better fixed sights ( front is higher, wider, and rectangular in cross section. The rear sight is higher, wider square notch.) for a great, visible sight picture for my 59 year old eyes.

Here is my range report on the pistol, as posted on another website years ago, with picture of the pistol and target.
    https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=356188

My MILSPEC plunks 5 shots into a ragged hole at 50 feet with hard cast 200 grain flat base SWC bullets, over 4-5 grains of Bullseye powder. I am very happy with it.

I did a home trigger job on it. I replaced the factory short trigger with a long trigger. I stoned the hammer notch down to .018" with a jig to get a crisp 4 # trigger.

In my view, the 45 acp belongs with the 1911.
    Last edited by catboat; 03-05-2020 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Added link

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I suggest that you shoot a .45, if you haven before and then decide.

I'm glad to see you got the .45. To me the 9mm belongs in a BHP and a 1911 should be .45. I'd go 10mm and (maybe .38 super, just because I have a little bit of brass) but when I see a 9mm 1911, I cringe a little. But it's not my money either.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by scattershot View Post
    .45 ACP, as God and John Browning intended.
    What Scattershot said.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Quote Originally Posted by RKJ View Post
    I'm glad to see you got the .45. To me the 9mm belongs in a BHP and a 1911 should be .45. I'd go 10mm and (maybe .38 super, just because I have a little bit of brass) but when I see a 9mm 1911, I cringe a little. But it's not my money either.
    I agree. Why chamber 9mm in a gun like that. More suited for Glock. Etc

Boolit Master

Wilson Combat has a video about this very topic. Bill Wilson and Ken Hackathorn have some interesting thoughts on the subject.

I like the 9mm in the big gun for fun, but the 45 can send heavier loads down range.
    Get both someday you will be happy when you do.

Boolit Master
    My 1911 came from 'Nam by a good friend who is dead now. He and a GI armorior friend built it one night from parts bins, each part was selected to fit "right"; I love it. I haven't fired it at 100 yards many times but, when I did, 5-6 inch groups were the norm but were about 20 in. low from my standard 200 gr. SWC cast stuff. Knowing all that gives me a lot of confidence if some goblin wants to play and I can't imagine not having it at my bed side every night. It's too big/heavy for concealed carry (I have a lightweight .38 S. Charter Arms snubby for that) but it rides nicely on the floor of my truck.

It points well. The G.I. sights and my old eyes aren't much for target accuracy but it's a working piece, not a range toy. And in a common night fight no sights are very good anyway. (I'm no fan of lazers for combat, those things work both ways and I'm always on target with them!)

Get the RIA, I think you'll love it too.

Boolit Master
    Some of us old guys have to consider changing from a 45 to a 9mm because of arthritis in our hands. Racking that slide with the stronger spring gets more difficult every year.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Norske View Post
    Some of us old guys have to consider changing from a 45 to a 9mm because of arthritis in our hands. Racking that slide with the stronger spring gets more difficult every year.
    exactly. ditto's for eye issues and the need for optics. note to the young 'uns - don't get old.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast