Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxInline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Wideners

Thread: Found a back up smelter! Couldn’t pass it up!

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar

Found a back up smelter! Couldn’t pass it up!

I ran into the Salvation Army and found a NIB Coleman stove fro $8.99. I am currently using a Coleman perfect flow I bought 15 years ago from Wally World. I never used it and broke it in for a smelter a couple years ago. It looks like a volcano of lead exploded on it so I would never use it for anything but melting lead now. Doesn’t look as quality made as my perfect flow but at least I have a backup.

I found this “classic” style new in the box yesterday for $8.99. I didn’t need it but couldn’t pass it up. Figured I’d put it up for a spare.

Boolit Bub
    Sweet! How long does it take to melt a pot of lead on there? Im currently using a big deep fryer burner and a Dutch oven but it's kind of cumbersome for smaller batches

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Not long. I use a big cast iron pan I picked up from Wally world for $9.99 I smelt in. I did a couple of tons two summers ago on the other one.

USMC 77, USRA 79

I am a crab cooker kinda guy Trip
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Markopolo View Post
    I am a crab cooker kinda guy Trip
    If that means "large" I'm with you. I smelt wheel weights and other scrap in batches of 350-400#. But it would be nice to have something smaller for things like pewter or solder.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    I ran into the Salvation Army and found a NIB Coleman stove fro $8.99. I am currently using a Coleman perfect flow I bought 15 years ago from Wally World. I never used it and broke it in for a smelter a couple years ago. It looks like a volcano of lead exploded on it so I would never use it for anything but melting lead now. Doesn’t look as quality made as my perfect flow but at least I have a backup.

I found this “classic” style new in the box yesterday for $8.99. I didn’t need it but couldn’t pass it up. Figured I’d put it up for a spare.

Nice score!

I might have to keep this one for camping reserves since the Coleman even flow smelter is still going strong yet. I do have the Coleman road trip lxe but this one is way more compact. I fried some fish on the road trip lex last year and it takes a while using oil and cast pan even in nice summer weather.

Good job. And its propane too.

I've got a couple gasoline lanterns from the 80's, and a newer gas single burner stove.
    Parts for them are drying up.
    These hadn't been emptied and stored properly so they needed to be rebuilt.
    It seems like Coleman isn't supporting the older stuff, or even the not so old ones.

You can still find old stock generators & such, but ya gotta dig deeper and deeper to find them.
    The old- go to the hardware store and find everything on the rack: That's over.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

When I was at the Salvation Army yesterday I remembered last year when I was looking at my even flow model they were gone for almost 100 bucks on Walmarts website where I bought it originally. I don’t know if it was a third-party supplier that jacked it way up but it was enough to remember that I shouldn’t pass this one up. I Google it when I got home and it looks like most places they want 65 bucks for this model is it’s the classic one I’m guessing. I did see Walmart had some listed they were $85 on sale for $42.88 with free shipping to the store if anybody’s looking for one. I would assume it must be a closeout or a supplier that had a few.

My favorite is the Coleman road trip fry well portable fryer I picked up directly from Coleman about 10 years ago. They were about 240 bucks dropped down to 60 at the time. I bought one for myself and a buddy and then my dad bought one. My dad didn’t know what he had and never used it and sold it for 40 bucks which I would’ve gladly paid him twice that for it! It looks like a maroon 57 Chevy but in a fryer. I don’t think they’ve made them for years but they are the coolest thing if you ever run into one.

My dad never even used his!

Here’s a link to what they look like...

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...fryer?a=784495

The downside is they take a lot of grease.