Inline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2Lee Precision
RepackboxSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Had A S&W 500 Magnum

I Had A S&W 500 Magnum

I saved for along time to buy the revolver it was S&W's Preformance Center model & I had nothing but headaches with it would skip timing & they screws on the side of the yoke would loosen all of the time so I contacted S&W & they said they would send me some extra screws $1,199 gun & it wasn't worth a hoot it wouldn't shoot my reloads or factory ammo either with out messing up I wound up taking a loss on it but I learned a lesson the 500 S&W is too much for a handgun IMHO

I've never had the chance to fire one. I'd like to try it. I have a Ruger super blackhawk in 44 magnum with a 4 5/8" barrel. With full magnums it's a bit much. It's fine for a few cylinders full but I prefer lighter loads for everyday plinking and normal working loads.

Boolit Master
    i still have one but not the performance center one (8 " barrel) .

powerful and accurate ...has the crispest 2.8 lb. trigger pull.

you should have sent it back ...not taken a loss...that one is on you.

Boolit Buddy
    a bit of loctite on the screw would fix the problem and a slightly stronger spring fixes the bolt skipping. Easy fixes. Should it have worked straight from the factory? Yes, but these days seems everything new needs a tweak or two...

Boolit Buddy
    I had one too. It spit lead from the cylinder gap and muzzle brake, was heavy and almost as handy as a .30-30 carbine, and it didn’t take long for me to trade it off.

Vendor Sponsor

I fired a few rounds out of an 8" with a scope, it was heavy as all getout but stable with the scope and recoil wasn't any worse than a SBH with iron sights because of the scope. I don't think I would own one.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Banned
    I watched a very large muscular gentleman with arms like tree trunks shoot a 500 Magnum. In a way it was comical as it pointed at about 11:00 after every shot. I watched him shoot two cylinders worth and at that time he said I've had enough. I passed on a new one at the gun shop before I moved for $950.00 It was tempting but the recoil the large man experienced was enough to make me pass on it.

Boolit Buddy
    I have 2 X-frames in 460 and 500, both 7.5" PC. 460 has been fine (just b/c a little on the high side). 500 has been problematic - went to repairs after 1st outing, cause I could move front sight with my fingers. After that it was just fine 350gr to 700gr (these 700gr I had to limit to 1-2 in the cylinder otherwise even with heavy crimp after 2-3 shots cylinder would get locked because of bullet jump). Had to sent 500 back to mothership because of the timing, but I still not planning to get rid of it - it's just too much fun Oh and sideplate screws get loose even on my 610, I just tighten them up after range session and check them before range visit, I guess some purple locktite would solve that problem.

Boolit Master
    My 2003 model was better from the factory than my current 2018 model. The new one had burrs etc all over, nothing finished. But it's a good, strong gun after some work. I shoot claybirds @ 50 meters w factory level loads. Zero leading probs with any coated cast,I have 305,400,425 and 615 molds.

I was in a gun shop today,they had a retired gunsmith fix a new, problematic 500. He had said some strong words about the recent S&W "quality" vs the good old days.

Boolit Master
    Interesting to know, I've had zero issues out of my BFR.

Ebner

Boolit Master
    ive got a pair of s&w 500s with 8 inch barrels,ive never had a problem with either and have fired hundreds of rounds out of both,both very accurate and never any leading problems

Quote Originally Posted by Chad5005 View Post
    ive got a pair of s&w 500s with 8 inch barrels,ive never had a problem with either and have fired hundreds of rounds out of both,both very accurate and never any leading problems
    Ditto here! I love shooting mine and am a little surprised that everyone seems to think the recoil is stout? It's got a good punch to it but easily handled.

JMHO

-Ron

Boolit Grand Master

I'm not saying you always have to run it all out, but when a gun is capable of shooting a 500 grain bullet at over 1500 fps, I don't consider that "easily handled". Not by me anyway. That's right up in 12 gauge shotgun slug territory!

Boolit Master
    Have a good neighbor who cuts my grass for me in the summer. Won't take anything for it except for an occasional case of beer. I knew he had a S&W 500 magnum so one visit to our local gun shop netted me two boxes for the 500. He does not reload and was very happy. He decides to let me shoot it. I have a big pile of clay sp we shot into that. One shot was all that I needed. Way too much cannon for this old man. My 44 mag Redhawk was like a hot 357 mag compared to the 500. Truth be told I think he hasn't put all that many rounds through it. Not at the cost of factory ammo. It is what it is. He has shot my Redhawk and big difference. Frank

Boolit Master

A friend has one and I've shot it a few times. With full power loads it's quite a cannon. Because of the massive weight the recoil didn't seem too bad to me, but I only shot a few rounds each time.

I kind of want one, but only for the novelty factor. I really don't see any practical use for it at all, for me, and I doubt I'll ever be able to financially justify buying one, but I still kind of want one, just a little. If I was offered one for the right price, I figure I'd have to find a way to come up with the money. It would have to be cheap though, cheap enough that I could sell it again easily when I wised up.

It's funny, I say that now but in reality I already have several .44 Magnum revolvers that I hardly ever shoot anymore.

I held my reloads at medium range there was no excuse for a gun costing that much be such a poorly functioning revolver & that one is on S&W I know guys who have a M500 & never had a bit of trouble but they didn't shoot them much & I had loaded up many for mine I guess that it couldn't handle being shot so much so I went back to the 44 magnum

Banner Sponsor

I bought a 4" S&W 500 just after they came out. I found mine slightly used at $650ish. I guess some guy came in, bought the gun and a box of ammo, then brought it back that afternoon with 5 rounds fired out of the box. I have not had a bit of problems from mine, no loose screws or spitting. It has a great trigger also. I have shot everything from 350s to 700s out of it from light to over max and have settled on the Lee 440 at about 1250 loaded with IMR 4227. I also have a BFR in 500S&W and have had zero problems with it.

Can't see any need for the 460 or the 500 S&W. Heavy, bulky, difficult to control for most people.

Marlin 1895 with a 16" bbl with the proper sling makes more since. Or a 12 ga, 16" and a pistol grip. Either of these my 72 year old wife can handle in a pinch.

Like I said, can't see the need. For the got to have one because its there crowd, go for it.

Boolit Master
    its not a need item,its not a keep up with the jones item.because jones probably cant handle it.its a want item,for people that want a heavy hard recoiling handgun to target practice with or that one shot bear stopper or maybe just to hunt with

Boolit Grand Master

Naah, when it came out my statement was that it was too much for a handgun but perfect for a carbine. Then TC came out with the Katadin - and that was all she wrote. I've shot the 45-70 barrel more than the 500, but have shot and keep both.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast