RepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Inline FabricationWidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I Had A S&W 500 Magnum

Boolit Grand Master

I've looked at them but can't seem to find a reason to own one. A S&W .460 would seem more practical to me if you really needed a giant handgun as you could also fire 45LC, 454 Casull or 45 Schofield if you had some of that. If you need to carry a big bore handgun for protection in Alaska, say, then a 454 or 480 Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan with a short barrel would seem a better choice to me and would probably be the direction I'd go if I was needing one. It would be a toss-up between that and a 10mm, though

I just don't see it as a practical gun for anything but playing at the range or maybe a deer stand but if your sitting in a deer stand a 45LC could be loaded strong enough to drop whatever walks by. If I had the money to burn I'd buy one for kicks to try out but since I don't I'll stick with a 45LC Blackhawk.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    A friend bought one of the original 8" models right after they came out. He loaded it with 440 grain HC bullets with H110 powder. It was MUCH more pleasant to shoot than my Freedom Arms 83 .454. It ran a bullet through one 20 pound propane tank, into the next and dented the back of the second tank.

I bought the 4" as soon as they were released. Found a used one the had ONE round through it. I have standardized on 350 grain bullets as that is all I need. 18.0 grain s of Unique runs 1080 for target shooting and 20.0 runs 1250 for hunting. Neither is abusive.

Zero problems with the gun at all...

Bob

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by RJM52 View Post
    A friend bought one of the original 8" models right after they came out. He loaded it with 440 grain HC bullets with H110 powder. It was MUCH more pleasant to shoot than my Freedom Arms 83 .454. It ran a bullet through one 20 pound propane tank, into the next and dented the back of the second tank.

I bought the 4" as soon as they were released. Found a used one the had ONE round through it. I have standardized on 350 grain bullets as that is all I need. 18.0 grain s of Unique runs 1080 for target shooting and 20.0 runs 1250 for hunting. Neither is abusive.

Zero problems with the gun at all...

Bob
    If you are going to run a 350 grain at 1080-1250 fps, why wouldn't you use a 44 magnum? If you just like the gun, that's great. It seems odd to me, to have a race horse to trot around the farm with.

Had one about 10 years ago. I can handle stout loads from 44-454, but this one after 10 rounds made my hand hurt to the point I couldn't even grip my duty gun. I now have a 454 Ruger SRH and haven't been happier. The 500 has a place if you ever run into Rhino or Elephants, just not for me.

Boolit Master
    43.0 grains of H110 only runs a 350 grain bullet at 40 fps faster than 20.0 of Unique. So from a really 3" barrel that is all you get.

I just happen to like the gun.

Bob

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RJM52 View Post
    43.0 grains of H110 only runs a 350 grain bullet at 40 fps faster than 20.0 of Unique. So from a really 3" barrel that is all you get.

I just happen to like the gun.

Bob
    I like the gun,too.

I use Vihtavuori N110, very close to H110. Reason being the pressure curve is a little less peaky than,say 3N37. I push the limits every now and then.

Boolit Master

I'll

I bough 454 Casulls, two with 71/2 inch barrels.
    I was bull strong and headstrong and shot them two handed, alternately with the heaviest factory loads.
    Blew up concrete blocks and knocked down steel targets and mangled quite a few.
    Older, still not weak yet, I prefer a much loaded down version of the .454s.
    Please do not sell a hard kicker till you have reloaded for it.
    You can always load heavier if you miss it.
    I have as much fun with my loaded down pistols as I ever did with the dueling artillery loads.

Boolit Master

I had a S&W 500 for a few months and sold it!!!
    Although it was accurate and a very hard hitter it was heavy, loud, and had a lot of recoil. And was impracticable for use in North America.
    The 44 magnum is by far a more practical handgun for the common man and general use.
    There are few 8000 pound dinosaurs left on earth to shoot nowadays.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    Naah, when it came out my statement was that it was too much for a handgun but perfect for a carbine. Then TC came out with the Katadin - and that was all she wrote. I've shot the 45-70 barrel more than the 500, but have shot and keep both.
    I have one of the Katadin in 500. My first loads where Federal fusion 325gr and I was thinking "a ***** cat". So I worked up some H110 390gr cast loads and "holy hell" nearly broke my shoulder! I switched to CFEBLK for the same velocities and a much easier recoil. Don't know about handguns, but I've never experienced that much recoil difference by just changing propellants in a rifle. If I run across a handgun at the rite price I'll probably buy one. One can always load it down!

Boolit Buddy
    My wife has the Ruger Alaskan 454 and me the short 500 for backpacking Alaska. She competes with pistols so I don't worry about her in an emergency. Never had a problem out of either firearm. I carry mine as a secondary for hogs. We have both seen a boar that will go 800+#. He destroyed my next door neighbors trap before he could get his rifle out of the safe ;^) He's just gettin bigger!
    HOLLYWOOD Collector Left hawg 405#, right one 315#, had my elderly neighbors granddaughter treed and why I got the call. Both charged, one from 20' and one from 40'. Thanks to the good Lord and Samuel Colt I won. May God bless our Lawmen & Soldiers!

In Remembrance

I have a 6 3/8" S&W 500 Magnum, and it's my favorite revolver by far!!
    There are two ways to load for them.....
    1) OoooooooHHHHH!!!!
    2) ahhhhhhhhhh!!

The Oooooo option uses a powder like Lil Gun, which respresents the factory loads you can buy at the store. Those hurt your hand for a long time. When I allow others to shoot those loads, I only place one at a time in the cylinder, and tell people very clearly to NOT DROP my revolver.

The ahhhh option is to use the Hodgdon Trail Boss powder. This version, with all boolits, right up to the 700 grain super T Rex logs, is very easy on the hands and wrist. They have about the felt recoil of a 38 Special +P.

I've written an article, published on my web site, discussing the subject. LINK FOR THE 500 MAG ARTICLE - CLICK HERE

I've fired many thousands of boolits from my 500 Magnum, and it always draws an excited crowd at the range. Even with Trail Boss, it's extremely accurate!
    Last edited by DukeInFlorida; 03-25-2020 at 12:31 PM.

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by DukeInFlorida View Post
    1) OoooooooHHHHH!!!!
    2) ahhhhhhhhhh!!

The Oooooo option uses a powder like Lil Gun, which respresents the factory loads you can buy at the store. Those hurt your hand for a long time. When I allow others to shoot those loads, I only place one at a time in the cylinder, and tell people very clearly to NOT DROP my revolver.

The ahhhh option is to use the Hodgdon Trail Boss powder. This version, with all boolits, right up to the 700 grain super T Rex logs, is very easy on the hands and wrist. They have about the felt recoil of a 38 Special +P.

I've written an article, published on my web site, discussing the subject. LINK FOR THE 500 MAG ARTICLE - CLICK HERE

I've fired many thousands of boolits from my 500 Magnum, and it always draws an excited crowd at the range. Even with Trail Boss, it's extremely accurate!
    It draws crowds alright, especially the range management. I wasn't doing anything wrong but they banned me from shooting that caliber simply because a handful of other non-experienced shooters were punching holes in range roof (I expect from recoil). Oh well.
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Petander View Post
    My 2003 model was better from the factory than my current 2018 model. The new one had burrs etc all over, nothing finished. But it's a good, strong gun after some work. I shoot claybirds @ 50 meters w factory level loads. Zero leading probs with any coated cast,I have 305,400,425 and 615 molds.

I was in a gun shop today,they had a retired gunsmith fix a new, problematic 500. He had said some strong words about the recent S&W "quality" vs the good old days.
    I also have a 2003 model. Built much better! I probably loaded 10 different powders including black powder with this thing, never missed a beat!
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by DukeInFlorida View Post
    1) OoooooooHHHHH!!!!
    2) ahhhhhhhhhh!!

HEY DUKE! You could tie a piece of parachute cord around the trigger guard and then a loop around their neck so the revolver won't hit the ground.
    HOLLYWOOD Collector Left hawg 405#, right one 315#, had my elderly neighbors granddaughter treed and why I got the call. Both charged, one from 20' and one from 40'. Thanks to the good Lord and Samuel Colt I won. May God bless our Lawmen & Soldiers!

Banned
    Ive shot a friends 480 ruger SA many times. They really arent that bad at all too me

Ive been meaning to buy a super blackhawk bisley with a 4.62" barrel , but I keep buying these Uberti's

https://ruger.com/products/newModelS...eets/0872.html

In Remembrance

No need for such extreme measures.

I always ask folks if they want to try the easy on the wrist version first. Or, if they want the real deal. They know what's coming in all instances.

My warning about not dropping the gun is always sternly given, and always respected. And, I have them shoot the gun in single action mode (hammer pulled back for you laymen). That way the trigger goes off easily and quickly.

"Death grip on the gun, and then lightly pull trigger""

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kayala View Post
    (these 700gr I had to limit to 1-2 in the cylinder otherwise even with heavy crimp after 2-3 shots cylinder would get locked because of bullet jump).
    I just found this thread by searching something else.

Kayala, you may have better crimp luck with Redding Profile Crimp Die. I shoot Mihec 600's without problems, I also shoot a 350 NLG with no crimp groove. Hi Tek coated , I can force crimp it wherever I want with the Redding die and it works beautifully.

N110 full loads both.

Boolit Master
    I don't have the 500 but I shoot two .454 Casull pistols.
    They are nowhere near what the 500 shoots, but they are still quite a handful shooting factory equivalent ammo.
    Still, you guys are handloaders and you should be able to load reduced loads and get some good use out of your investment.
    In my last 60 years of shooting, casting and reloading I have witnessed many people get rid of 44 magnums as well as 357s and even 45 colts because they shot the heavy loads without any preparation or knowledge of the recoil and noise associated with these firearms.
    A 500 Smith is light years ahead of these guns I just mentioned , but the same can be said for an experienced shooter who decides the 500 is just too much gun for them.
    It is too much for me now, but I shot elephant guns in my prime and I would have had a 500 if they were made then.
    But when you get a lemon, please make time to send it back.
    The screws get loose on the 454s as well, even with loctite, but it helps.
    I just wanted to say that anything can be shot with reduced loads.
    Whether they are greatly reduced or only backed off a little.
    That's under your control.
    Brian Pearce just ran some info in the Oct 2020 Handloader on assembling some reduced loads for the 500.
    Maybe check it out.
    Thanks.

Knocking the dust off this thread….

I had the 8 3/8” barrel. Killed a very nice deer with it. It starting shaving jackets off factory ammo, sending shapnel back at me. The straw was when a piece of copper jacket embedded in my cheek.

Sent it back and they worked on it. Never shot it after that. Sold it and bought the Performance Center with the 10” barrel.

I am absolutely in love this beast. So far, so good. It’s handled every loaded to max round I’ve fed it. Took a doe with it this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    But they are such an Impressive piece of pig iron.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12