RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWidenersLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question About Caps

Boolit Grand Master

People hate change. Sometimes even for the better.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Maven View Post
    dtk, Unless Ruger changed the design or supplier of their nipples, the ROA's of ~1978 vintage came with hexagonal nipples. The Uncle Mike's and Slix Shot ones, are round.
    Thanks, it is good to know.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    Hum, makes sense 100 years ago. Why didn't Bill Ruger or other modern makers swap them around?

Tim
    just in case of a zombie apocalypse I guess. Semper Paratus, Semper Fidelis.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by oldracer View Post
    Size depends on the nipples, my Uncle Mike's need #11 while stock nipples need #10 but they are tight. To seat each nipple I made a "seating tool" from a 6 inch piece of old cleaning rod and a block of wood for the palm of my hand. Once I put the nipple on manually I seat it and can usually see them move some to get tight. Remember it is the concussion of something that makes to cap go off so pushing slowly on them won't hurt. I still point my 1858 Remington revolvers down range.

Some things I learned when I got mine last year:
    2.8 grains of real Goex worked best
    Make sure the hammer touches the face of the nipple, mine rubbed on the sides of the hammer slot.
    Top off the powder with Cream of Wheat
    Use a "Tower of Powder" external loader, not the pistols ram
    Make sure there is about 0.008 clearance between the cylinder and the barrel, no locking up due to powder residue
    I had to rent the reamer to taper the inside of the forcing cone as all 4 of my 1858 revolvers did not have any taper
    Seal the cylinder openings with a lube such as Doug Knoell's or Garbe's solid lube from Montana (forget the exact name)

Took me a few months and help from my mentor to get mine to really shoot but they do well now!
    John
    With 2.8 grains?

Boolit Buddy
    So you use a capper and they don't go on and stay put and fire on first hammer drop? I have a Ruger Old Army and I use a capper and misfires are so rare I don't remember them. What kind of capper do you use. Mine is the bar type about 5 inches long. I can get a good grip on it and press the cap on hard with my right hand while pushing with the thumb of my left hand (that left hand is gripping the gun by the grips) on the back of the capper and then slide the capper to the side while still pushing. This motion is not as complicated as writing it. The left hand right hand thing is because of the location of the opening for the capping. The Left thumb guide the capper onto the nipple.

I never understood why the loading gates and ejector rods are on the right side of single action revolvers. If they were on the left then you would never have to swap hands to reload them.

Tim

Colt's single action cartridge revolvers followed the tradition of his cap and ball revolvers by loading from the right side. As to why the cap and ball revolvers were designed the way that they were, some people believe that Sam Colt was left-handed. That might explain a few things.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    Does anyone know any tricks to getting caps to seat better? .
    I use an oak dowel rod that has been tapered on one end. Just put pressure on the cap while turning the dowel for even pressure.
    I've also used the back end of a Bic pen.

On one the internet forums there's a detailed account of an experienced shooter who blew up his thump pushing on black powder revolver caps. He lost some meat from his thump and it took many stitches to put it back together.

Using the hammer is actually against the rules of one the civil war reenactor organizations.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Banned
    I never understood why the loading gates and ejector rods are on the right side of single action revolvers. If they were on the left then you would never have to swap hands to reload them.

Tim
    Because most people are right handed. The tasks of capping nipples, loading cartridges, operating ejector rods - require fine motor skills. The right hand generally has more dexterity (assuming the person is right handed). So the gun is designed so that the operations requiring the greater dexterity of the right hand are on the right side of the gun. The left hand just holds the gun, no fine motor skills are needed for that task.

Remington #10's fit both of my Pietta 1858's like a glove.
    #11's need to be squeezed to stay on but they will work.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12