Inline FabricationRepackboxLoad DataWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LEE Six Cavity Molds

Trapper44: For the round balls you need, I agree with the others. The two cavity should be just fine. I will say the Lee six cavity moulds are a pleasure to run. Once they are up to temp you get a lot of bullets in a hurry. As to cost, most of the two cavity moulds I own (Noe,Accurate, LBT and others) cost over twice as much as the Lee six cavity moulds. I cast up a batch of 311-93s just last night with a Lee six and enjoyed how well it worked. Gp

Boolit Master

Once you get a single or double cavity mold running right they can be pretty fast. Also your boolits may tend to be more uniform since you don't have the cast to cast variable times six working against you. But if you want lots of boolits fast, the more cavities you have the merrier you will be. But there is a learning curve to getting a 6 banger working without breaking something.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Quote Originally Posted by frkelly74 View Post
    Once you get a single or double cavity mold running right they can be pretty fast.... But if you want lots of boolits fast, the more cavities you have the merrier you will be. But there is a learning curve to getting a 6 banger working without breaking something.
    My first time casting 6 banger I broke the sprue handle on the 3rd cut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

They are definitely the weak link there. If you warm the mold up some how, I use my torch judiciously, others use a hot plate, then fill one or two cavities until the cut is easy then go to filling 3 or 4 cavities till they are easy. Then go to filling the last two and then you are running. Most of the first casts will be rejects, so keep them separated. Have a stack of ingots ready to drop in to the pot and don't dally looking for metal to add or at the cast bullets you have piling up. Just cast till you are tired and stop.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Mold temp is always the deciding factor in how a mould preforms. Once I get my six cavity Lee moulds up to temp (preheat) I can just pour a steady stream of lead down the sprue plate and have very few rejects. Gp

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ukrifleman View Post
    I recently purchased a Lee 6 cavity 160gn .312 mould and have yet to try it out.

I already have a 2 cavity version, which I intend to beagle and cast .314 bullets for my Lithgow .303.

ukrifleman
    Try powder coating the bullet after casting. You may not need to permanently modify the mold.

Boolit Master
    All I use is lee two cavity molds. There cheeper than the rest and work good for me. A 6 cavity would be nice but I have over 30 molds and my storage space is limited. I only have two noe molds and there 2 cavity also. The two cavity work fine unless your shooting 100’s or 1000’s a day or week

Quote Originally Posted by Taterhead View Post
    The Lee 6 cavity molds are better quality, and a better casting experience, in my opinion. Pre heat them and they cast keepers in no time, not unlike any other mold.

I am not a fan of Lee 2 cav molds.
    That's exactly my experience with the Lee molds. I intend to get rid of all my 2-cavity molds and just use 6-cavity molds unless they don't offer the size in 6-cavity.

Boolit Master

I've a pair Lee 2cav #401-175-TC molds. I can produce about 300+ bullets an hour. While I have at least 5 Lee 6cav molds and Lee does offer that 40cal mold in 6cav, I probably won't buy one.

Casting quantity is more dependent on a smooth repetition of filling, cutting sprues and dumping bullets.

Of the Lee molds I have, only one bullet is represented by both a 2cav & 6cav.

I really believe that a smooth casting rhythm is more important then the number of cavities in your mold.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12