Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Load DataRepackboxWidenersSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Anyone hunting with the 30XBR Boolit?

Boolit Buddy

Anyone hunting with the 30XBR Boolit?

I have had this mold for some time would like to try it hunting in .308 and 30/06 does any one use it for this purpose?

Boolit Master
    I was curious about this bullet for the 35 Whelen a few years ago. My take is that it would need to have a soft tip to expand upon impact or it will pierce through much like a FMJ.

Boolit Grand Master

There is a 30 XCB and a 35 XCB.

30XBR...???....can you be a little more specific about that bullet?
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    There is a 30 XCB and a 35 XCB.

30XBR...???....can you be a little more specific about that bullet?
    Larry, My guess is that the OP meant the 30XCB. The 35 caliber boolit in this configuration caused me pause for consideration a while back, also. Your research and testing is quite influential and impressive. What are your thoughts on these boolits in hunting applications? As I mentioned earlier, I suspect to gain the velocity these boolits are designed for the alloy must be sufficiently hard to withstand the rotational forces, which would render it a FMJ basically. Do you see this design as being viable to soften the alloy and push them slower, or to BruceB the nose soft for expansion and send them fast? I appreciate your input and look forward to reading your response.
    Thank you,
    Christopher

Boolit Grand Master

I also assumed the OP meant the XCB bullets. However, given the large amount of custom designs these days, especially for "BR" (bench rest) shooting I was hoping the OP would clarify what bullet he meant.

To hypothesize on my assumption there is no reason either of the XCB bullets could not be used for hunting. Of course a softer alloy would be needed and HPing with the Forster 1/16 and 1/8" HP tool would also be a good idea as with other cast bullets as I've previously posted. With a softer alloy the 10 and 12" twists probably would still be better off with a "standard" designs such as the 311041 and the 35-200-FN as the XCBs probably (yet to be determined though) wouldn't give much of a velocity improvement. The 14 and 16" twists are another story......I have worked up a load with the 311041 in my 14" twist .308W that holds excellent hunting accuracy (2 moa) out to 300 yards with a muzzle velocity of 2425 fps. That gives a retained velocity of 1500+ fps at 300 yards which is excellent for hunting. I have pushed the 35 XCB to 2300 fps (LeveRevolution) out of my re-barreled M91 Mauser with 14" twist Shilen barrel with a 96/3/3 alloyed XCB. It held 2 moa accuracy to 300 also and retains about 1400 fps at that range.

I have given some thought to testing casting some 30 XCBs of my usual 30 cal hunting alloy of COWWs + 2% tin then mixed 50/50 with pure lead and let them AC. I would see just how fast those could be pushed in the 30x60 XCB cartridge/rifle and hold 2 moa accuracy at 300 yards or maybe 400? Just too many other tests to be done so I haven't got around to it...….

A couple years ago I did some extensive prairie dog shooting between 300 and 500 yards with the 30 XCB. Getting expansion wasn't even considered but the 30 cal bullet zipping through them caused a considerable amount of comboomeration….
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Thanks, Larry. This is helpful information. My 35 Whelen, a sporterized Mauser will not feed a flat point from the magazine. They snag on the chamber's edge unless they have a very small meplat. Taking some FN boolits and trimming them down to experiment got me to thinking about the 35XCB and if it is a practical hunting projectile. I am sure it would feed well, like the jacketed SP's do. Wanting to work with cast keeps me thinking about the more pointed options, though. Hollow pointing seems like an option for expansion.
    I opted for an old 358318 RN mold for the time being so I could enjoy this rifle on more occasions than it has been used. They feed well enough, but a RN isn't optimum for a hunting round, either, from past experience. (suppose I could Bruceb soft point them if really serious) I've drilled some points but if the hollow point gets over 1/8th of an inch then these start to snag on the chamber edge, as well. Another thought is to cast them soft and paper patch. Haven't gone down that road, yet.
    Again, thank you for the information. More to muse over.
    Christopher