Inline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Snyders JerkyWidenersLoad DataRepackbox
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: H&R Huntsman

Banned

H&R Huntsman

Saw a real clean on in a shop today, .58 caliber. Price was $150, but I might could deal it down.

Are these worthwhile? I don't think I have a .58 mold, are the twists of these such that they'll handle conicals or just round ball?

Boolit Grand Master

My dad has the 50 caliber. The twist is something like 1 in 35". They handle conical fine, even sabots. I don't know if the 58 is different, I had never heard such a thing. The only thing to look out for is if it has the slip in breech plug. Most were threaded. The slip in style could theoretically blow out if you had a hang fire, and opened the action. I've never heard of a real incident. The other thing is the plastic primer discs are unobtanium. The only replacement breech plugs available are from https://www.prbullet.com/. Be warned, they are not a great product, and the guy is defensive. I'm sure he knows he is turning out junk. The fix is easy if you have a lathe. All you have to do is shorten the primer holding section to match a modern breech plug like from TC. If you don't you can't extract the primer. How the guy from PR bullet ever thought that would work is beyond me.

So there it is. Other than some outdated parts, they are a good rifle. Everything else on it is an H&R shotgun. The frames must be muzzleloader specific though, as you don't need an FFL.

Boolit Grand Master

I had one when they first came out. It shot quite well though was hardly traditional.

It was a tough gun too! I accidentally overcharged it by quite a bit (I believe about 250 FFFg) with a .58 Minie in it. The muzzle flash was tremendous and the action actually broke open during recoil! No harm to the gun though!

Yes, rifling twist in mine worked with typical Minies I shot in my Zouave and Enfield Musketoon. IIRC it was 12 groove rifling and quite shallow but it worked well.

The only complaint I had was that the breech face tended to foul up then the action wouldn't close until it was cleaned. I solved that by filing a small notch on the breech face of the barrel and breech plug to allow blow by from the nipple to escape.

Mine was an early one with the push in breech plug. Later versions were screw in breech plug. That was done for safety after a reported death due to opening the action quickly after a misfire then the powder charge igniting with open action blowing the breech plug out and killing the owner.

I never had any problems with mine but sold it as I wasn't really interested in the "modern" muzzleloader. It functioned well and shot well but I prefer traditional designs... no fault of the gun.

Longbow

Boolit Grand Master

Mine used #11 caps on a standard nipple.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    My dad has the 50 caliber. The twist is something like 1 in 35". They handle conical fine, even sabots. I don't know if the 58 is different, I had never heard such a thing. The only thing to look out for is if it has the slip in breech plug. Most were threaded. The slip in style could theoretically blow out if you had a hang fire, and opened the action. I've never heard of a real incident. The other thing is the plastic primer discs are unobtanium. The only replacement breech plugs available are from https://www.prbullet.com/. Be warned, they are not a great product, and the guy is defensive. I'm sure he knows he is turning out junk. The fix is easy if you have a lathe. All you have to do is shorten the primer holding section to match a modern breech plug like from TC. If you don't you can't extract the primer. How the guy from PR bullet ever thought that would work is beyond me.

So there it is. Other than some outdated parts, they are a good rifle. Everything else on it is an H&R shotgun. The frames must be muzzleloader specific though, as you don't need an FFL.
    Actually, the ATF later ruled that they are 4473 modern firearms.

The earliest ones used a large flat 'firing pin' for igniting musket caps on a standard nipple in the breachplug.

I've got a 12 gauge version that's interesting to play with, but I've never really done anything serious with it.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by NoZombies View Post
    Actually, the ATF later ruled that they are 4473 modern firearms.

The earliest ones used a large flat 'firing pin' for igniting musket caps on a standard nipple in the breachplug.

I've got a 12 gauge version that's interesting to play with, but I've never really done anything serious with it.
    I've had the itch for a muzzle loading shotgun for a while now, sounds like a lot of fun.

I may go back and get this one. Don't really need another muzzle loader, but we still have a real good muzzle loader season here in Kansas, a .58 might be fun.

I shot my first muzzle loader deer with my grandfathers 58 cal . Still have it but haven't shot it for a long time . It has the push in breech plug for the #11 cap . WE shot both round balls and conicals in it .

I would buy one for that price for sure, especially a 58 Cal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Yes, the Huntsman is a 4473 gun and the Sidekick is treated as a muzzleloader. The Huntsman is the same frame as used on their shotguns. I had a muzzleloader barrel made through their now discontinued barrel program for a NEF shotgun.

Boolit Master

i had one in 45cal. had a 1 in 57 twist shot minis well. didn't know they made one in 50cal.

Boolit Buddy
    I I bought one new in the early 70's. It was 58 caliber, push in plug and #11 caps on a standard nipple. It shot very well with a Lee .578 target minie ( a flying trashcan design). My wife killed a mulie buck with the minie over 60 grains of goex ff. It dropped on the spot.

It was magnificently accurate with a .570 patched ball.

BUT, here is your warning. They all eventually shot loose in the lock up. When closed they would be quite loose. Mine got loose enough that it would frequently fail to fire the cap. A Smith "fixed" it by preening the locking lug but he predicted that it would shoot loose again and it did.

I'm pretty sure that some proper heat treating of the locking system would have fixed it.

Saw one for sale at a gun show two weeks ago for $150 and the seller became visibly excited when I picked it up for a look. It was the old style with push in plug and in perfect condition. Probably never been fired.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post

I have had very good success dealing with prbullet- Mr epps i think his name is. He has an incredible amount of info free to read and from my expierence he is a top notch guy with a slick answer to the Huntsman breech issue. nekshot
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by nekshot View Post
    I have had very good success dealing with prbullet- Mr epps i think his name is. He has an incredible amount of info free to read and from my expierence he is a top notch guy with a slick answer to the Huntsman breech issue. nekshot
    It's not slick, it doesn't work. If you have access to a lathe, it's a 10 minute fix though.

Boolit Master
    I bought one when they first came out. It's a 45cal with the screw in plug. Shoots about 3" at 100 with the TC maxi ball. It uses a standard nipple and a # 11 cap iirc. They were on sale for $49.

I've got a Huntsman .58 cal. It shoots pretty good with a patched round ball and 90 gr. 2f. I started at 60 gr. and worked up. The accuracy didn't fall off any. I tried some Minie bullets that I got with the rifle and their awful. I could throw them and get better accuracy. Lol.
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

What thickness patch did you use with that .570 ball?

Thanks.
    Watch your thoughts; they become words. Watch your words; they become actions. Watch your actions; they become habits. Watch your habits; they become character. Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.

Patch Thickness

What thickness patch did you use with that .570 ball?

Thanks.
    Watch your thoughts; they become words. Watch your words; they become actions. Watch your actions; they become habits. Watch your habits; they become character. Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.

I altered a .45cal Sidekick for my oldest Grandson, back when he was about 12y.o. (he's 29 now) - to use when I first took him deer hunting.

It had the screwed-in breechplug for #11 caps, which I converted to accept 209 primers for reliable ignition.

It was pretty accurate with Remington saboted .357 J-word boolits.

I would think that one in .58 would move a shooter out from under their hat upon firing, though.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master

The ramrod alone goes for close to the $150 on auctions.

Yep - that telescoping RR is hard to find, off the gun.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast