RepackboxInline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee PrecisionWideners
RotoMetals2 Load Data

Thread: My first M1A

Boolit Grand Master

My first M1A

I ended up buying a Springfield M1A scout squad a couple weeks ago, and have been having a blast. Now that I feel comfortable with how everything works, I've been sitting down and trying to get some accurate loads. I am not looking for spectacular accuracy here, but 3" at 100 yards would make me happy. My first go around found that my eyes were not up to the task with the targets I was using. A second trip and it seems a NRA style black bullseye target to be the ticket. I only had a couple left, so I took the easy route, and put a 3x Burris scope I had on, just to work up some loads. I have a few molds, but my most promising candidates are the Lee 170 grain and the Saeco 315 clone. I've been using the 315 exclusively, as it fits like a glove. I've got it seated so it does not engrave at all. Just the bore riding nose gets a scratch.

Here is my caveat, I want to avoid case fillers like the coronavirus plague. So far I've been playing with the typical candidates, IMR 4895 and IMR 3031. There is a head spinning amount of information already out there on the M1A, M14, or any 308. One thing I don't see thrown around a lot is the velocity people are getting with their loads. I was working out of the Lyman cast bullet handbook, and it seems that their velocities may be understated. I have not chronographed any of my own loads. For both powders I have worked from 29 to 36 grains. Every single one has cycled without an issue. So far 3031 is the winner, but nothing is quite to the 3 MOA I'm after.

The reason I'm posting is looking for other, less conventional powder possibilities. I have a bunch of powders available, and I wonder if something slower may work better. I see 4350 mentioned from time to time, but no starting load. I have XMP (maybe XMR?) 4350. I also see Reloader 15 mentioned too, but again no start load. One powder I've always been curious about was Reloader 17, which I've had good luck with in some full power jacketed loads. It is also the best powder of choice for the 12 gauge from hell cartridge, which is a 12 gauge brass cartridge loaded to slightly higher than normal pressures, maybe 20-25k psi. This tells me it burns well at low pressures. I have the entire Reloader spectrum, 7, 12, 15, 17, 19, and 22. I do not have the new 16. I've got some 4891SC too. For the extreme slow end, I have RX 22, H1000 and Retumbo. I have a bunch of powder I haven't mentioned here.

So is looking into the slower burn rates a good use of my time for a non-fillered load?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    I ended up buying a Springfield M1A scout squad a couple weeks ago, and have been having a blast. Now that I feel comfortable with how everything works, I've been sitting down and trying to get some accurate loads. I am not looking for spectacular accuracy here, but 3" at 100 yards would make me happy. My first go around found that my eyes were not up to the task with the targets I was using. A second trip and it seems a NRA style black bullseye target to be the ticket. I only had a couple left, so I took the easy route, and put a 3x Burris scope I had on, just to work up some loads. I have a few molds, but my most promising candidates are the Lee 170 grain and the Saeco 315 clone. I've been using the 315 exclusively, as it fits like a glove. I've got it seated so it does not engrave at all. Just the bore riding nose gets a scratch.

Here is my caveat, I want to avoid case fillers like the coronavirus plague. So far I've been playing with the typical candidates, IMR 4895 and IMR 3031. There is a head spinning amount of information already out there on the M1A, M14, or any 308. One thing I don't see thrown around a lot is the velocity people are getting with their loads. I was working out of the Lyman cast bullet handbook, and it seems that their velocities may be understated. I have not chronographed any of my own loads. For both powders I have worked from 29 to 36 grains. Every single one has cycled without an issue. So far 3031 is the winner, but nothing is quite to the 3 MOA I'm after.

The reason I'm posting is looking for other, less conventional powder possibilities. I have a bunch of powders available, and I wonder if something slower may work better. I see 4350 mentioned from time to time, but no starting load. I have XMP (maybe XMR?) 4350. I also see Reloader 15 mentioned too, but again no start load. One powder I've always been curious about was Reloader 17, which I've had good luck with in some full power jacketed loads. It is also the best powder of choice for the 12 gauge from hell cartridge, which is a 12 gauge brass cartridge loaded to slightly higher than normal pressures, maybe 20-25k psi. This tells me it burns well at low pressures. I have the entire Reloader spectrum, 7, 12, 15, 17, 19, and 22. I do not have the new 16. I've got some 4891SC too. For the extreme slow end, I have RX 22, H1000 and Retumbo. I have a bunch of powder I haven't mentioned here.

So is looking into the slower burn rates a good use of my time for a non-fillered load?
    Your in luck

BruceB did 99% of the work for you

Now you just have to read it .... It will not have any of the newer powders

Do not try to hot rod the 308 / M1a/m14

He used loads with filllers and with out fillers

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...pringfield-M1A

Boolit Grand Master

I doubt anything you can do with a cast bullet in a 308 Winchester could be consider "hot rodding"

Boolit Grand Master

Oh boy, thanks for that link. I've been on this forum since 2017, and this is the first time I've realized there is a separate military rifle load section. I've got some days of reading ahead of me.

Boolit Master

Haven't shot enough of them to be conslusive, but H4895 and the Lee 170 (ACWW, powdercoated) appeared to be in the 3" range, with no filler.

Boolit Grand Master

Since this forum section is more about the gun, than the ammo, I'll post some pictures. Check out this big red birch stock from treelinem14.com. I ordered the excellent condition one, although fully intended to refinish it. That idea is out the window. This stock is immaculate, and such a pretty grain. Walnut may be classic, but I think the birch has so much more character. It looks even better without a scope.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	m1a.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	32.8 KB 
ID:	257598

Name:	m1a2.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	50.2 KB 
ID:	257599

Name:	m1a3.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	45.4 KB 
ID:	257600

USMC 77, USRA 79

wow... beautiful, almost tiger striped. You got lucky as usual. why anybody would part with that weapon is beyond me. i love the birch stock weapons I have.. some of the older 10-22's had Birch...

as far as powder is concerned, I am sure you must have some 2400 laying around.. i just always seem to start there for my mil stuff.. yes, some of them 2400 isnt ideal, it is pretty much my goto powder for rifle and cast... and it works nice in several of my 44 mag stuff. cycles my ruger 44 carbine nicely as well...

I think you better ship that one off to me MSM...
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Good looking.

I was among the last few platoons at Parris Island to go through training with the M-14.
    It still holds a special place in my heart----- the rat gun, not so much.

I use a lot of 4198 in mine with the old school 170 cast GCRN, but no scope.
    I worked it up until it was accurate, and just cycled, then added one more grain.
    I thought I might have to get a new spring, and cut off a inch or so, but it wasn't necessary.

I've been thinking of using a reduced version of 'The Load' with Red Dot and cast.
    I hear a lot of good things about it. I'll get on to it when I've generated a few more brass

Something that helped my accuracy was a poor man's version of a national match front sight.
    Rather than buying a NM front sight,
    I got a much cheaper rack grade/regular one and thinned down the width of the blade with a flat file.
    Instead of putting several coats of cold blue on it, I dropped it in the bottle for a day or two.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 02-28-2020 at 04:29 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

I've thought about a faster powder, but it sounds to me like there is not much luck for cycling. It doesn't cost me anything, so I may as well give it a try. My favorite load in my 308 win Henry is 17 grains Bluedot and the 170 grain Lee for 1.7" 25 shot average at 100 yards.