Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackbox
Load Data Snyders Jerky

Thread: FORCED to make Corned Beef HASH

Boolit Master

FORCED to make Corned Beef HASH

Had to make Corned Beef Hash from CB My Wife ruined.

My Wife decided to cook a Corned Beef for the 1st time.
    Thirty-Seven years and I've always cooked/boiled the CB. Started cooking my own after I got out a the Service in 1975.

She put in in the Crock Pot, 4 hours on High. Made it just for sandwiches. Cooled it and put in fridge, sliced thin the next morning.
    Tough as an old boot.

So chopped up medium/small, about 1 1/ 2lbs and made hash.
    At least it can be chewed. Diced garlic & onions in 3tbs of veg oil, cooked for 5 minutes on high. Added 3 cut up medium potatoes. Another 9-10 minutes on medium heat stirring occasionally. Added diced CB some sage & cracked black pepper. Cooked on medium for 10 minutes.

At least it tastes good too.
    Last edited by Walks; 02-27-2020 at 06:27 PM.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master

WALK very carefully here
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master
    Why didn't you cook it a bit longer to tenderize it.
    jim

Boolit Master

Boiling it after cutting it up would have made CB mush.
    I HATE auto-correct

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    man do I love some CB hash been years since I had fresh made

Boolit Grand Master

Crock Pot ..... Low for 6-8 or even 12 hours . That cut needs low and slow to break down the connective tissues . It wasn't the crock pot , it was temperature and time setting weren't right that's all .
    Cooks don't learn overnight ... she just needed some advice !
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Have you told her she did it all wrong yet..?
    If not, I think she may appreciate the chance to learn from her mistakes.
    Let us know how it all works out once the hospital says you're ok to go home

We like corned beef, but once a month is enough. Here, I'm the one that does all the cooking; although we'd been married for 40 years before my Mrs. had her stroke, during which time she did all the cooking--so now, being on our 51st year and me 10 years into it, I consider her legitimately retired. I had to learn everything from scratch, and in the course of arming myself for the kitchen I acquired an electric pressure cooker. Got it from QVC for about $40, I think. So what I do is make sure that a corned beef I buy will fit into the pot. Put it in and sprinkle the little seasoning packet all over it, then fill the pot 2/3 full with chicken stock. If it needs a little more liquid I just add some water. Now, mind you, the corned beef is frozen solid. I put on the lid, set the pressure for 15 psi, the timer for 70 min., and get a perfect corned beef every time. Usually one dinner and two sandwiches later it's all gone, but if not it gets cubed and makes great corned beef hash.

DG

Boolit Buddy
    Tell her the hash was so good cause she cooked it up first lol beats sleeping with the couch.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Banned

yup I do about an 90 minutes if there froze or 60 minutes thawed in mine and any roast or a corned beef comes out tender as a 60 lb doe!
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    We like corned beef, but once a month is enough. Here, I'm the one that does all the cooking; although we'd been married for 40 years before my Mrs. had her stroke, during which time she did all the cooking--so now, being on our 51st year and me 10 years into it, I consider her legitimately retired. I had to learn everything from scratch, and in the course of arming myself for the kitchen I acquired an electric pressure cooker. Got it from QVC for about $40, I think. So what I do is make sure that a corned beef I buy will fit into the pot. Put it in and sprinkle the little seasoning packet all over it, then fill the pot 2/3 full with chicken stock. If it needs a little more liquid I just add some water. Now, mind you, the corned beef is frozen solid. I put on the lid, set the pressure for 15 psi, the timer for 70 min., and get a perfect corned beef every time. Usually one dinner and two sandwiches later it's all gone, but if not it gets cubed and makes great corned beef hash.

DG

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Walks View Post
    Had to make Corned Beef Hash from CB My Wife ruined.

My Wife decided to cook a Corned Beef for the 1st time.
    Thirty-Seven years and I've always cooked/boiled the CB. Started cooking my own after I got out a the Service in 1975.

She put in in the Crock Pot, 4 hours on High. Made it just for sandwiches. Cooled it and put in fridge, sliced thin the next morning.
    Tough as an old boot.

So chopped up medium/small, about 1 1/ 2lbs and made hash.
    At least it can be chewed. Diced garlic & onions in 3tbs of veg oil, cooked for 5 minutes on high. Added 3 cut up medium potatoes. Another 9-10 minutes on medium heat stirring occasionally. Added diced CB some sage & cracked black pepper. Cooked on medium for 10 minutes.

At least it tastes good too.
    I broke down and bought a used Kitchen aid mixer for myself before Christmas and got a food grinder attachment for it off ebay. Your post made me think back about making some ham salad. The grinder attachment made some decent ground up ham and probably would have worked fine in making the Corned Beef Hash.

I would personally tread lightly when questioning the wifes cooking skills. The last time I did that I spent 6 months cooking every meal. Now I just say partway into the meal "This is really good honey" words to remember if you don't wish to do a lot of cooking.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post

DG
    Your post reminds me of my forced experiences. The wife was diagnosed with some special MS which rendered her incapable of doing basically anything. This happened a couple of weeks before Thanksgiving one year. Generally we have about 18-20 people over for the holidays. She told me to cancel the holiday that everyone would understand. I didn't want to do it and asked if she could supervise me doing the prep and cooking which she did. The end result was a really fine meal and I did the following Christmas and Easter after than and have been cooking the holiday meals ever since. She went thru hell for a year and slowly came back to almost normal as she has some nerves that are lacking some type of jell and the result is nerve pain and or numbness. I think that every guy should be able to go thru the process of cooking a major dinner and I guarantee it will change your attitude on cooking. I have never been so tired in my life as I was after cooking my first Thanksgiving dinner. I never realized the effort to cook, put away the extra food, and clean the mess afterwards.

Like I mentioned I would tread very very lightly on the remote idea to question her cooking skills or even offer tips or ideas. I would approach it very differently and maybe come up with a recipe and say have you ever tried this

Boolit Master
    Always complement her on her cooking so she'll keep trying .
    That's not burnt darling it's extra flavor , I appreciate you putting in the extra time to blacking the roast , I like the bacon soft and the eggs crispy ......

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by toallmy View Post
    Always complement her on her cooking so she'll keep trying .
    That's not burnt darling it's extra flavor , I appreciate you putting in the extra time to blacking the roast , I like the bacon soft and the eggs crispy ......
    Its funny that you mentioned bacon and eggs. I like my eggs crispy like leather and my bacon cooked but not hard. If we go out to breakfast somewhere I always ask for my eggs to be cooked so that they are basically hard with no runny yoke and do you think I can get that? Heck no.

Boolit Master

My Wife is the one who first realized that cooking the CB in high in the crock pot was a mistake.
    She took the first bite of sandwich.
    TOO tough to chew.
    She said she'd leave cooking the CB to me from now on. Just wanted to try it a new way.

In 43yrs together I HAVE NEVER SLEPT ON THE COUCH. Never had to.
    Can't understand men who would let their wives chase them out of the bedroom.

I can say Anything I want to my Wife, and She can say Anything to Me.

We have 3 rules.
    1) NEVER CALL EACH OTHER NAMES, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES.
    2) TELL THE TRUTH, REGARDLESS OF HOW PAINFUL IT MIGHT BE.
    3) KNOW WHEN TO NOT SAY THINGS.

I pity guys who are afraid of their wives.
    And yep, She reads these posts. If I offer the tablet to Her. She's laughing about this one now.
    I HATE auto-correct

SASS #375 Life

Quote Originally Posted by Walks View Post
    My Wife is the one who first realized that cooking the CB in high in the crock pot was a mistake.
    She took the first bite of sandwich.
    TOO tough to chew.
    She said she'd leave cooking the CB to me from now on. Just wanted to try it a new way.

In 43yrs together I HAVE NEVER SLEPT ON THE COUCH. Never had to.
    Can't understand men who would let their wives chase them out of the bedroom.

I can say Anything I want to my Wife, and She can say Anything to Me.

We have 3 rules.
    1) NEVER CALL EACH OTHER NAMES, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES.
    2) TELL THE TRUTH, REGARDLESS OF HOW PAINFUL IT MIGHT BE.
    3) KNOW WHEN TO NOT SAY THINGS.

I pity guys who are afraid of their wives.
    And yep, She reads these posts. If I offer the tablet to Her. She's laughing about this one now.
    I LOVE THIS! We're only about 16 years in...but it's always been the same with us. She once (years ago) threatened me to the couch, and I simply said No, I pay the mortgage and I'll sleep where I choose to. If you want to sleep somewhere else, fine, your choice. I have since slept on the couch, but only out of respect for her. When I get sinus stuff going on, I snore like a chainsaw...to the point I wake myself up. I choose to not ruin her night on top of mine....
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Banned
    Generally women are good cooks with a few exceptions I have seen over the years where apparently physical qualities were handed out instead of brains. I don't know where the "I never slept on the couch" comment came up but as long as others have answered I will too. Been married same woman for 48 years and never slept on the couch. Always have been respectful of her feelings for the most part. If asked if I like something so cooked I will generally tell her its good several times it wasn't and she would say your just being nice its pretty bad. Women do a lot for us and do deserve all of our respect. I've lived a time doing what my wife had done for years when she was battling an episode of MS. Cooking and cleaning and vacuuming changing the sheets and washing isn't fun and when you consider they have done it for years I would say respect is deserved. Add on the weekly grocery shopping and running errands along with paying bills and its a pretty full schedule.

So, if they happen to screw up a corned beef meal take it in stride and simply help make something edible out of it. Her feelings should be paramount here as I'm sure the mistake wasn't on purpose. Be the bigger person spare her feelings and simply say well the oven temp accidentally got bumped up or something along that line. She will figure out that she made a mistake and that also you cared enough to spare her feelings. Goes a long way my friends to keeping things civil.

Boolit Grand Master
    Only times I have slept on the couch was when I was sick and didn't want to disturb her or when we became parents and we would alternate feedings so each of us could get a bit of sleep and get up without waking the other. We would alternate nights on the couch.
    I criticized her cooking, ONCE and ONLY ONCE. I learned and after that I "suggested" things (I was a better cook than she was at that time). She has come a long way since then, we both have.

Boolit Grand Master

We both learned to cook from scratch, her from her mother and me reading cookbooks in Grad school. When I was in grad school mine came out looking like the pictures in the cookbooks so she said I should cook for company! We routinely consult one another in cooking and in evaluating the result. We raised the boys to figure out flavor because when we went to a restaurant we would try one another's meal and try to figure out how it was made. That was one basis for teaching them to cook. Cooking is an educational pursuit in our home.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!