Reloading EverythingLoad DataTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee PrecisionWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CZ Barrel Leading

Boolit Mold

CZ Barrel Leading

Hi
    I have been casting boolits for about a year now and I am using HiTek to coat it.

I have recently changed over from a stock 2 Tanfo to CZ shadow 2

The problem I have now it's the S2 barrel is leading up.
    This is what I have done thus far.
    Lead hardness is 14/15
    Changed lead to new lead
    Changed coating to different combination of coating and passed acetone and Smash test..
    Bought Cast Boolits from a manufacturer who sells these and his process is perfect.

Everyone one of them is leading and quickly too.
    Heres a Pic after 50 rounds.

Any input will be appreciated

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Have you slugged the barrel for groove diameter and checked your bullet diameter? I don’t powder coat but my hi-power will keyhole up close if the bullets are the least bit undersize. Have you tried tumble lubing? Welcome to the madness!
    Decreed by our Creator: The man who has been made able to believe and understand that Jesus Christ has been sent into this world by the Father has been born of the Spirit of God. This man shall never experience spiritual death. He will live forever!

Boolit Grand Master

Wow you got some mining to do there! Slug the barrel I'm guessing you are using undersized bullets or are sizing the bullets down during seating/crimp operation. You don't mention your load, we'd like details.
    Charter Member #148

Moderator Emeritus

GTIV,
    Welcome to the forum.

What caliber?
    if it's a 9mm, that can be a troublesome caliber to load with cast boolits. You may have success on one gun and failure in another. There are a couple threads about loading cast boolits in 9mm that may help.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...s-in-a-new-9mm

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...reloads-in-9MM

Another thing, most new semi-auto handguns don't have much, if any, leade into the rifling and could have sharp edges, which is fine for jacketed bullets, but can damage PC coating and that would likely lead foul your barrel.
    Good luck.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    That is nasty I use .356 Hi-Tek 124 gr and 135 gr loaded on , be 86 , or red dot dot in my cz75b and a rammi and get no leading . I normally only shoot 50 to 100 rounds a session and always clean when I get home .I wonder what the deal is on yours.

Boolit Buddy
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...barrel-leading

Welcome to the forum. I have been working on a similar problem with a Glock barrel leading. My thread may be of interest to you.

Boolit Master
    When I had Glocks and Rugers they would shoot anything I put on them with no leading. I got a CZ 75 SP 01 and the same Lee boolits would leave a ring of lead effectively locking up my pistol. I bought the Lee 358-125 rf mold, sized the boolits to .358 and haven't had a problem since. Sometimes I get lucky.....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

That CZ Shadow 2 is supposed to be one fine shooting pistol. Many people on this site swear by the CZ 75.
    Does your pistol shoot up to it's reputation?

Boolit Mold
    Thank you guys for the prompt replies. I have been learning here for a while

OK so I have slugged the barrel to 0.356 and I was loading 0.356. I also tried load 0.357 and the results were the same.
    The only thing I can think off either the rifling needs some attention due to sharp edges or its the Lee factory crimp die causing it to size the boolit down.
    I will investigate further today

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by swheeler View Post
    Wow you got some mining to do there! Slug the barrel I'm guessing you are using undersized bullets or are sizing the bullets down during seating/crimp operation. You don't mention your load, we'd like details.
    I load 4.3gr S121 powder at a OAL of 28mm and the weight is about 126gr.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    That CZ Shadow 2 is supposed to be one fine shooting pistol. Many people on this site swear by the CZ 75.
    Does your pistol shoot up to it's reputation?
    It shoots great just the leading is annoying me now

Boolit Master
    With my CZ75, it would lead up with anything smaller than 358 sized boolits. Seat a .358 sized boolit and just remove the bell on the case. Then pull the boolit and measure the base of the boolit. It should still be .358. If it is not, get a custom powder thru expander funnel from Lathesmith if you are loading on a Dillon. If loading on another press, you can use a custom expander plug from NOE to use in the Lee Universal Expander Die. Plugs are $6.50 or so and the Lee die can be had for $15 or so.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sigep1764 View Post
    With my CZ75, it would lead up with anything smaller than 358 sized boolits. Seat a .358 sized boolit and just remove the bell on the case. Then pull the boolit and measure the base of the boolit. It should still be .358. If it is not, get a custom powder thru expander funnel from Lathesmith if you are loading on a Dillon. If loading on another press, you can use a custom expander plug from NOE to use in the Lee Universal Expander Die. Plugs are $6.50 or so and the Lee die can be had for $15 or so.
    DITTO: My CZ75 has to have .358 boolits and I use a .356 expander plug.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GTIV View Post
    Thank you guys for the prompt replies. I have been learning here for a while

OK so I have slugged the barrel to 0.356 and I was loading 0.356. I also tried load 0.357 and the results were the same.
    The only thing I can think off either the rifling needs some attention due to sharp edges or its the Lee factory crimp die causing it to size the boolit down.
    I will investigate further today

You really need to pull some of your loaded bullets and see if the Lee factory crimp die sizing your bullets down, I never use the Lee FCD, they cause more problems than they cure with cast bullets.

Boolit Master
    Different guns and powder I guess , both mine and the other two guys I shoot with work with .356/.357 I can't tell any difference I use the Lee 4 die pistol set , the others with CZs don't use a carbide crimp but also use BE-86 powder . I don't know what powders you have available but it might be worth trying something else one of the commercial casters ,SNS Casting on his home page mentions with Hi-Tek he gets feed back that many of the faster powders can cause leading with Hi-Tek and he makes some powder recommendations . If you have a powder in the range he recommends it would be a simple test to see if it helps.

Boolit Master

That's some serious muzzle leading, is that the same from throat outwards?
    Obturation or lack of it, might be the issue.
    ...Speak softly & carry a big stick...

Quote Originally Posted by Tom W. View Post
    When I had Glocks and Rugers they would shoot anything I put on them with no leading. I got a CZ 75 SP 01 and the same Lee boolits would leave a ring of lead effectively locking up my pistol. I bought the Lee 358-125 rf mold, sized the boolits to .358 and haven't had a problem since. Sometimes I get lucky.....
    ^^^^^
    This
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

I would second the advice to pull a few of those bullets after running the cartridges through the factory crimp die and measure them. I would be willing to bet they are getting swaged down a little.

IMO that die is great if youre loading jacketed bullets. But in my experience it always swaged lead/coated down a few thou (depending on case wall thickness). In fact I removed the carbide ring from my .357/.38 Lee FCD so that it only roll crimps and doesnt swage the coated bullets down.

Also, the throat/leade on some CZ barrels is known for being a little bit short. So it could be a good test to take one of your loaded rounds and do the plunk/spin test in the barrel to see if the bullet is hitting the rifling at the OAL youre loading at.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks guys for the information
    I will test and advise soon

I need to get rid of the LEE FCD.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig556r View Post
    That's some serious muzzle leading, is that the same from throat outwards?
    Obturation or lack of it, might be the issue.
    Yeah it's the entire barrel

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast