Reloading EverythingRepackboxLee PrecisionWideners
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2

Thread: Channel Iron Molds

Boolit Bub

Channel Iron Molds

I think I have some scrap 4" C channel iron laying around and I need to make some molds. If memory serves me right, its 3.5" wide on the inside by the web, and 3.75" wide at the open face. The sides are 1.25" from the web to the face. Again, not looking at it to measure it. I could calculate the cubic inches to get the length I need for "X" pound molds and cap the ends with 2"x 1/8" or 1/4" thick bar stock. The tapered sides should make it release easy enough. Maybe weld a bead on the inside with a WW or PL to designate wheel weights or pure lead?? Anybody make something similar? I even have some round bar and a bender to make handles..
    Lead, brass, and copper are the real precious metals.

Banned
    I like the way you think

Those will be large ingots (and will take longer to cool - another concern with large ingots in fitting them in you casting pot -- too tall and the pot could tip over -- can you easily fit enough ingot in your pot to fill it safely when melted -- a lee 4-20 like about 16 pounds)

When you cut the channel, taper the ends slightly to help the ingots come out easier

Not sure wielding beads on the inside is a good thing, give the lead something to stick to (I haven't tried this)

I make my molds so the ingots fit in a small flat rate shipping box.

IF you want the molds to drop at a certain weight:
    1) you have to use the same alloy in that mold (different alloys have different weights - the softer the alloy the more it will weigh)
    2) you have to fill the mold exactly the same every time

Let us know how they turn out

I strike my Ingots with tool stamps to label content. My molds are all of the size they can be used in most pots. Mine are angle iron and will stack in SFR box neatly.

Boolit Bub
    I plan on using my ingots for dripping shot mostly. I can make my molds to whatever size will find in the ladle. I'm really wanting them to come out in the 5 lb range.
    Lead, brass, and copper are the real precious metals.

At those dimensions the ingots will weigh about 1.8 lbs. per inch in length. So 5 lb. ingots need to be 2.7 inch long.
    I have thought along the same lines. I like rectangle ingots instead of triangle ingots. I was going to use Channel about 2 inches wide and an 1 or 1.5 deep. 2x1=.8 lbs. per inch. 2x1.5=1.2 lbs. per inch. At 6 inches long that would be 4.8 for the 1 deep, 7.2 for the 1.5 deep. Either size is doable.
    Leo

Boolit Master

I have 8 single molds of 3" C-channel. They are about 7" long and cast a 8lb ingot. I cut the ends at a slight angle to give an easy release. I welded only the outside of the ingot mold. I like a single ingot as I run a 400lb bottom pour pot and set the ingot mold on a damp towel. The damp towel greatly speeds the cooling down /solidification of the ingot. The ingots fit into my Lee 20lb pots just fine.