RotoMetals2WidenersReloading EverythingRepackbox
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rust or assembly grease?

Boolit Master

Rust or assembly grease?

Stopped at the only LGS in the area and was inspecting the Marlins and Henry rifles and found a Marlin 1895 on the rack, brand new, with what appeared to be rust on the front sight, front of the mag tube, and on the barrel by the stock.

I brought the rifle up to the counter to let them know that one of their brand new rifles was rusting on the shelf and they looked at it and at first said it was paint. Then said it was copper-based assembly lube, and put it back on the rack.

Pretty sure it was rust. Hope a potential buyer spots it before spending money. It's low grade rust and easily taken care of, but it's not a good sign on a new rifle.

Attachment 257536

Attachment 257537
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Banned
    I bet if you go back the next day they will have removed that "assembly grease".

"No that's just grease, thank you. Have a good day sir". And then after you walked out, "Quick, clean that rust off before anyone else sees it" !

Boolit Master
    That's rust. When you see it in spots like that its because the parts weren't flushed off properly when they came out of the bluing tank.

That rust would be a bargaining chip if I was considering purchase of that rifle. Inexcusable. Assembly grease my- you know.....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Looks like rust to me.

Boolit Grand Master

Rust!
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master
    I've seen that same thing on different guns and it wasn't rust. It's pretty common on rifles imported from overseas such as the Pedersoli and Uberti guns. It will wipe right off with cleaning solvent. I had a Miroku/Winchester with what I thought was rust on it and it came right off and never came back. No one cleans these guns up before putting them out on the shelf. They go right from the box to the shelf. Before I'd jump to any conclusions, put some solvent on it and see if it wipes off. The Miroku/Win I had wiped off and it looked greasy on the cleaning cloth, not just stained like rust would make it.

Boolit Grand Master

Where it is at I wouldnt think any "assembly" grease would be needed and if that sight is soldered on then would be an detriment. But it could be a rust inhibitor from shipping.Some of these are a waxy based coating that is very tenacious and can be hard to remove once dried. Another is it may be a water soluble oil used in the machining process that didnt get removed these also are pretty tenacious to remove, and if the wash is used to long it deposits a fine coating back on

Banned
    Whatever it is, don't you think the seller should have cleaned it off before displaying the rifle for sale ?

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    Whatever it is, don't you think the seller should have cleaned it off before displaying the rifle for sale ?
    I do.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    They didn't neutralize the bluing action during manufacture well enough.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by reivertom View Post
    They didn't neutralize the bluing action during manufacture well enough.

I had thought it was bloom from bluing salts too, but since it's visible at the magazine tube cap and the tube stud, I don't think that now. I can't see a manufacturer bluing their guns with all the parts assembled, and that's about the only way you would get salts left behind.

Boolit Master

I know there have been a few instances of Marlin not getting the bluing salts out of the bores on the newer rifles and there being some pretty bad bore erosion/corrosion issues.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master
    Purchased a new XT 22LR last month and at rear bolt and cocking piece had something similar. Kind of appeared to be like a copper anti-seize, maybe the rust mixed in with assembly oil? It was completely cleaned and blown and lubed I moved on and no sign now. I am sure Mar/Rem/Serb are only using the finest materials and the pains taking slow process of perfection in each and every one pushed out the door! I purchased one, I know, time spent shortening front end to correct threaded area and new cutting of crown to remove some of that craftsmanship.

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post

Stopped at the only LGS in the area and was inspecting the Marlins and Henry rifles and found a Marlin 1895 on the rack, brand new, with what appeared to be rust on the front sight, front of the mag tube, and on the barrel by the stock.

I brought the rifle up to the counter to let them know that one of their brand new rifles was rusting on the shelf and they looked at it and at first said it was paint.

Then said it was copper-based assembly lube, and put it back on the rack.

IMO that's a sad commentary involving what appears to be an unscrupulous business practice.

I, for sure, would steer clear of that LGS - even to making a road trip for another further away.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Grand Master

I thought "copper based assembly grease" sounded like something a gunstore Rambo would say to cover something up on the assumption you didn't know anything so looked it up. I was a little surprised that there is such a thing. I have no idea if Marlin uses that or not but if it's grease of some type I would think you could rub your finger on it and smear it or clean it. Looks like rust to me and a gunstore employee that was too lazy to acknowledge it or clean it.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    Odd, I’d expect the store to just return it to the distributor, why would they bother with the BS. For some folks I guess being right is the most important thing, I try to avoid them.

Boolit Master

The guys at my LGS are pretty decent guys and I don't think they were lazy or trying to deceive anyone. Maybe found it hard to believe that a rifle would actually be rusting on the rack.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    The guys at my LGS are pretty decent guys and I don't think they were lazy or trying to deceive anyone. Maybe found it hard to believe that a rifle would actually be rusting on the rack.
    IDK. If I pulled a rifle off the rack and showed it with that response then I'd be a little skeptical on the lazy part. He should have at least inspected it to see what was what. Wouldn't stop me from dealing with the lgs, though as long as they have good prices unless they were just rude and he didn't sound like that, just uninterested. I normally know what I want and am looking at so minimal advice is needed when I go in a LGS so I'm not put off by employees unless they are off the chart rude.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    I almost bought a Ruger no.1 from a gun shop that had alot of nice guns very well known in my area . when started looking it over I noticed a film of red rust all over the front half of the barrel. when I showed it to the salesman he says its dry oil and dust not rust he tried to wipe it off and had no luck with just a rag. I looked inside the barrel and the muzzle end was very rusty. then I pointed out that the air cond. duct was right above the guns and blowing moist cold air right on them he was adamant it was dust and oil. He took the gun to the back and left it there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast