RotoMetals2RepackboxLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Load DataPBcastcoMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Wideners Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: J-B Compound Yay or Nay

Boolit Master
    For what it's worth, the folks at Bartlein barrels very strongly recommend against using JB Bore Cleaner on a NYLON bore brush. They have repeatedly verified that the nylon brushes, for whatever reason, do not follow the rifling grooves down the bore. They skid across the tops of the lands and cause serious damage when combined with JB. I've seen some of their borescope pictures, and the bore looked like 20 miles of bad road! I still use JB, but not on nylon brushes!
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master

JB Bore Paste.is an 800 grit non embedding garnet I believe and the Bore Bright is reportedly 1200 or finer. I believe it is a red rouge. I've used both for final lapping in of 1911 frames and slides following 600 grit garnet. The red barEly cuts, more of a polishing effect.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg S View Post
    JB Bore Paste.is an 800 grit non embedding garnet I believe and the Bore Bright is reportedly 1200 or finer. I believe it is a red rouge. I've used both for final lapping in of 1911 frames and slides following 600 grit garnet. The red barEly cuts, more of a polishing effect.
    That's why I would avoid using JB Paste for copper fouling. A chemical cleaner would be much preferable.

To the OP. Try and smell some Sweet's before you commit to buying it. I bought a bottle, used it once and tossed the whole thing. It's a very strong odor. Wife and kids complained loudly.

Banned

im a yay vote

Boolit Master
    I also use JB and Kroil, alternating, multiple times. Starting off with Kroil soaked patch, then scrub bore with JB impregnated patch. Ending with Kroil.

Good idea to clean any bronze brush or jag, after use, with brake cleaner or any of the spray degreasers. I had bronze brushes fall apart, after just running dry bronze brushes through bores to check for leading.

Winelover

Boolit Grand Master

I use JB quite a bit and it works great. Smear a patch and work in the bore 20 times or so then clean with whatever you use, Hoppes, Ed's Red etc. For heavy copper fouling I found the best for me was treating the barrel first with Montana Xtreme Copper Killer then use the JB. I did this with an old surplus Nagant I got that was a disaster and it took a bag of patches but came out clean as all get out.

For lighter copper I've used the JB and Kroil method and had good results. The Montana was saved for "Xtreme" cases.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

It is not with strength one will prevail; those who oppose The Lord will be broken

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    Quote Originally Posted by gnostic View Post
    Sweets 7.62 works in 10 minutes. You can tell because your patches stop turning blue...
    Yup! What he said. Over the last 30 years I have tried most of the latest and greatest cleaning compounds but have found nothing that is better than Sweets, some probably as good but nothing better.

Had a fellow pushing the foaming carp nonsense and was going to prove to me how much more copper it would clean our. HA! Nary a trace. He couldn't believe it.
    Last edited by roysha; 03-01-2020 at 06:39 PM.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Boolit Master

I use Sharp Shoot R foaming bore cleaner. Squirt it in the bore, let it set for 30 min. or overnight and patch it out. Really bad fouling might take a couple of applications.

Boolit Grand Master

As previously stated; Sweet's is my fall back for copper fouling that isn't removed by Hoppe's #9. However, for cupro-nickel fouling Sweet's doesn't work that well. That's when I use J-B's.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

The little tub of JB paste I've used for nearly 30 years seems to be partly bees wax. For several years it has separated a bit, you have to mix it a bit to use it. I think you would have to use a bunch on a really tight jag, refreshing often, to ever damage a barrel, like several hundred thousand strokes. I'm probably wrong and I hate jags. I've never had much trouble with either copper or lead fowling. When I 'deep clean' I first run a patch with that Midway Truly Remarkable ammonia cleaner, a few strokes, follow with an old bronze brush wrapped with a strip of cotton cloth with a bit of JB's smeared on it, a few strokes, then a few strokes with a patch soaked in Kroil. Then dry with clean cotton patches, maybe 2. Then a patch with a bit of the homemade red AR 15 oil. Has seemed to work pretty good for quite a few years. I have never tried to mix JB's with Kroil. Probably everyone who has cleaned firearms for a few or more years has their own personal process. Most work. The only trouble with some cleaning procedures, like mine, is you miss the great addicting Hoppes smell, although that AR15 red has some in it.
    Never trade luck for skill.

Boolit Grand Master

I mix or "re-constitute" the JBs with Hoppe's #9.....works for me.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    I mix or "re-constitute" the JBs with Hoppe's #9.....works for me.
    I'll give that a try as mine separates once in a while. Thanks for the tip
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

It is not with strength one will prevail; those who oppose The Lord will be broken

Vendor Sponsor

Sweets 7.62. Just dont forget and leave it in the bore a hr or more.
    As stated as soon as you see no more blue color on your patches no more copper.
    No scrubbing required.
    Rin a soaked patch thru bore wait 10 minutes run anorher patch continue till clean patch then dry bore then oil down
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Grand Master
    Seems like a lot of good options. I tallied most of the responses (except for Larry Gibson's post #14...he hits all the major options in a rather logical progression). BTW I do have a life, but am dealing with a Non Bearing Weight ankle injury so I am laid up and bored. Like a "tough guy", and a stupid one, I walked on it 4 weeks before going to the doc and now there is a chance it will not heal properly and will need surgery. So this thread on bore cleaning helps my bore-dumb (boredom).

Here are the results...If a product only had one vote is was ignored.

JB - 11
    Kroil - 6
    Sweets - 6
    Montana Xtreme - 3
    Hoppes Terminator - 2
    Bore Tech - 2
    Ammonia - 2
    Hoppes #9 - 2

My method is nearly exactly the same as Mr. Gibson's. I have never had a barrel that did not clean up but I do not shoot as much jacketed as some of you guys. I have JB, Kroil, Sweets, Montana Extreme and Hoppe's #9 but it was interesting to see what others do. I stumbled into my witches brew of stuff from 50+ years of shooting, exposure to forums like this and marketing hype. BTW, my JB paste is 40 years old...I have not had the need to use it often.

BTW, not saying other stuff does not work but what I have works for me. When it also works for many others shoot a lot more than I, there is no incentive to change.
    Don Verna

Now I know how to make JB's smell good. Why couldn't I have thunk that up 20 years ago?
    Never trade luck for skill.

Hard to go wrong keeping some J.B. Bore Paste around. I first bought it for it's intended purpose. Later I discovered other uses for it as well.

I had a straight walled pistol sizing die that was leaving a few scratches in my brass after sizing. I tried a cleaning solvent and brass brush to try and remedy the problem to no avail. I noticed the J.B. Bore Polish on a shelf above my bench and figured I may want to try something with it. I found an old bore mop, and a clean patch. I applied the J.B. to the patch, wrapped it around the mop and chucked in a drill and went to work. Did a dandy job and I'm a happy camper with it.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Boolit Mold
    Dougguy has discovered the same thing I did in the 90s. The JB is a great firelapping compound.

Boolit Master
    First time cleaning any firearm gets the JB and Hoppes. Makes the blackest gunk that ever came out of a barrel.Good reason for a set of el cheapo harbor freight cloves. Patch it out with patches and a few wet ones. Check the barrel and not to your liking repeat. The red Borebright works well but still with the black gunk. Did a Swedish Mauser that I had used Butches Bore Shine on. JB then Bore Bright. Big difference. Frank

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    If you have a bottle of JB bore cleaner sitting on a shelf for a few years, cut the top of the bottle off, pour off the oil, use the paste packed in lube grooves to firelap with. Best EVER firelapping compound! Full power loads too none of this wimpy mouse fart stuff..
    About how many rounds to remove thread choke in a M29?
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Grand Master

LIKE !!! 5 Stars
    Use a worn brass brush , wrap a patch around the brush , smear JB Bore Compound on the patch , soak with a little solvent and scrub the bore . Depending on how bad the bore is will determine how many times you need to do this . I salvaged a barrel on a 1895 Mauser that looked like old sewer pipe ....did take a few scrubbings but it did come clean enough for factory 7X57 ammo to shoot quite well . I'm still using that rifle .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast