RepackboxTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLee Precision
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load DataWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm really liking this 1895 so far

Boolit Master

I'm really liking this Marlin 1895 so far

Have only shot cast (will only shoot cast from it also) and have NOT worked up an accurate load yet, but it is place them real close to POA so far. Well 266 yards off of cross sticks and a really wimpy load was pushing it the other day but FUN.
    NO "Romp em Stomp em" loads planned for my uses.
    After All I had Read, I was hoping that remington's damage was finally over

The only thing I MIGHT change is the trigger.
    No creep, smooth and breaks clean but seems heavy compared to what I am used to.
    Have not looked inside or at a drawing, but assume (there is that word) that one lightens pull by narrowing or thinning the trigger spring.

Guess I had best find a blow up drawing . . . Huh?
    At least before I go too far with this thread.

Hard to make out from the blow up drawing, but it looks like this gun uses one leg of the trigger safety spring as a trigger spring.

Now I gotta get shed of this Rossi 92 357 Mag to finance this new possessio.
    Last edited by TCLouis; 02-27-2020 at 03:25 PM. Reason: add a question & statement
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Master

What flavor is your 1895?

Boolit Master
    Are you talking Marlin? Winnie? Or maybe a Lee Navy!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Marlin 1895

It is the 22" barrel 4+1 model which does not seem to have a unique Marlin model identifier.
    Last edited by TCLouis; 03-13-2020 at 08:13 PM.
    Amendments

Boolit Buddy

Trigger should lighten up after use, leave cross bolt safety on, cock & pull trigger, keep slight thumb pressure on trigger, you should feel it lightening after several hundred times. I would try to "wear" in before cutting spring coils.

If your 1895 is like mine, when you make it "romp" on one end, it "stomps" on the back end!
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

I have a 1970 model Marlin 1895 with 22" barrel. The only thing I ever did to mine was remove about 25% of the stock & forearm. The wood is now flush with reciever and wide thick shotgun butt is now straight like an original. For years just kept rifle as a range toy and shot nothing but cast on targets with moderate loads.
    A few years ago Ohio got limited rifle season for deer and the 1895 was only legal rifle I had. Loaded it up with 300gr Hornady HPs and hot load of IMR-3031. It now let's you know it's there when you touch it off. Didn't help when I reduced the area of butt plate when I thinned out the stock. It is unpleasant to shoot off bench with hot loads.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
    I have a 1970 model Marlin 1895. It is unpleasant to shoot off bench with hot loads.
    I have one tooth missing in my jaw on the right side,I call it "my Marlin tooth hole".

My first mold was a single cavity 405 grain Lee ,around 2000. I cast 1000 thousand bullets right away, first session, ladle,open fire...

I fired thousands and thousands of 2000+ fps loads from a bench the following years, I was young and stupid, now not so young any more. I soon added a recoil pad but it still kicked...

But I love all Marlins in 45-70, I also I shoot them faster than any other rifle because I practised so much back then. Lift it up and it's right there,bang. The ergonomy/action got memorized pretty good. I practise all kinds of shooting with a beeper.

Marlins are addictive - and can hurt from the bench. The SBL is a bit easier.

Quote Originally Posted by TCLouis View Post
    Have only shot cast (will only shoot cast from it also).
    I sure like mine and have only shot the RCBS 405GC.
    I'd have to get a part time job to be able to afford j-words for it.

It took me awhile to figure out which end was more dangerous than the other.
    The decision became easier when I started loading the old trapdoor recipes for regular shooting inside of 150 yards.
    If I wasn't such a tight wad, I'd get a mold for a lighter boolit.

I've still got some recipes for pumped up loads----- just in case I ever draw a instate hunting tag for wooly mammoths.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

My plan is 1,000-1500 fps and cast only.
    I get 1565 (300 gr. Hornady coated HP)out of my Contender in pistola configuration if I need fast.

Ain't going after anything, but paper, steel, deer so those will cover me at any distance I plan to shoot, paper or game.
    Last edited by TCLouis; 03-13-2020 at 08:17 PM.
    Amendments

My target/ plinker boolit is Lyman Ideal 322gr Gould Express HP. I was only shooting to 400 yds.

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    If you fire off a 400 grain slug at 1500 fps you should not have any issue with any critter still walking about our fair nation. Mid Tennessee is a fine place. When we lived there (76-82) we hunted a farm in those parts. All sorts of good eating critters.
    For everyday plinking we shoot plain wheel weight.
    For hunting we use 50 / 50 (WW-lead) and have always had good expansion at the exit and complete penetration. That is with a 350 flat nose slug. But we hunt river bottoms and brushy woods so shots are normally well under 50 yards.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master

M5155

Where in Mid TN?
    That is a time period when the populations locally were beginning to expand nicely.
    I plan on 345-366 grainer , depending on which boolit does best on paper at 1200-1600 fps.
    300 grain coated HP at 1565 fps if I use the Contender
    Should properly ventilate/drain anything I plan to take at the distances I plan /set up to shoot.
    Any further then it will be up to far less interesting tools.
    Amendments

Boolit Master
    Try 38.5 gr IMR 3031 under a 400 gr cast bullet. It will provide the same ballistics and recoil of over-the-counter factory loads like Remingtons. If you're buying your cast bullets, make sure they have a flat (not beveled) base or are gas checked. You will get gas cutting with bevel based bullets.

Boolit Master

NO Problemo, unless I buy them here on this site, everything I load is cast out of my pot.
    Bullets likely lighter than 400 gr as I do not have a mold that drops anything above 366 grains.

This is weird, but when I open this thread it has MARLIN in the title and yet I do not see Marlin in the title out in the main thread.
    Last edited by TCLouis; 03-13-2020 at 08:21 PM.
    Amendments

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TCLouis View Post
    M5155

Where in Mid TN?
    That is a time period when the populations locally were beginning to expand nicely.
    I plan on 345-366 grainer , depending on which boolit does best on paper at 1200-1600 fps.
    300 grain coated HP at 1565 fps if I use the Contender
    Should properly ventilate/drain anything I plan to take at the distances I plan /set up to shoot.
    Any further then it will be up to far less interesting tools.
    Sorry, but populations can not expand nicely.

Banned

Unless it has Ballard rifling it will only get mediocre accuracy with cast bullets. I've had one since 1973!

Boolit Master

smithnframe
    I think they all have Ballard rifling now.
    I would not have gone with Microgroove it that were still the case though many here at "Cast Boolits and on the net have got them to shoot well with that style rifling.
    Last edited by TCLouis; 03-13-2020 at 08:07 PM.

I'm not convinced that Micro Groove barrels won't shoot cast. I think it's like any other rifles, it's individual guns with boolits sized right. I think the Micro Groove deal is a urban legend. I've seen to many MG barrels shoot excellent with cast, even 30/30s. I've seen quite a few new 1895s that aren't anything to write home about with cast or jackets.

I have a newish Marlin 1895 and I love it. It has never had a copper jacketed round through it.

I had a nice load with Trailboss that made that gun shoot with a recoil similar to a .22.

I like shooting varget in it, though. You have to go upper end with that powder but it is more like a big push than a jarring recoil. I cannot shoot it from a bench, though. It hurts shooting braced - you have to let your body absorb the recoil. But you hit a steel target at 100 yards and it sure makes the target dance!

Some people use A2400 with a dacron wad for lower velocity loads - there's a lot of info on this site.
    WWG1WGA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast