WidenersLee PrecisionLoad DataRepackbox
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I'm really liking this 1895 so far

Attachment 258518 This was sent to me by a member here and he, as well as a lot of people, find Unique a very accurate reduced power load. In my Marlin Cowboy I am still using the last of my SR 4759 for less than "romp and stomp" loads. I talked to Shooters World powders and they told me that their Buffalo Rifle powder was friendly to load down kinda' like 5744 but quite a bit more affordable. Your gun has the short magazine and it might just be me but I have witnessed better accuracy from the short magazine guns than those that have the full length mag that is attached to the barrel closer to the muzzle. Keep us posted on how it shoots and good luck.
    Last edited by murf205; 03-13-2020 at 10:27 AM.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master

I guess powder usage will include (star) with Unique, 4759, 5744, maybbe 2200 if I can get a decent load.
    I should use 8700 for plinking though since I have 4 jugs of it.
    As inefficient as it seems to be I am wondering if there will be a fouling build-up in the barrel from it.

Dang got a cold that has knocked me out of shooting . . . real range time and have not had a chance to see what it would do on paper.

An oak leaf at 106 is not safe from what I have shot it, with about 10-12" of penetration into native forest soil.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

I hope a cold is all that it is. That Marlin will suprise you as to what it will do accuracy wise. When you get to feeling better let us know how it shoots. Unless you already have some 4759 it will be hard to find as it has been discontinued. What a shame, it was a stellar performer in a 45/70.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master
    I don’t lighten the springs when doing trigger jobs on Marlins.
    I reduce the sear engagement, the same as I would on a M1911 pistol. The triggers are very similar.
    My favorite loads for the .45/70 are with #2400. 29.5gr under the RCBS .460” 300 gr FNGC. Gets 1,650fps from my 18.5” GuideGun, 1,725fps from M1895 REMLIN. I use 19.8gr under the Lee 400gr .458” HP ( discontinued single cavity hollow point mold). Gets about 1,350fps and VERY accurate.

I hope you don’t have that “Wuhan Floo” going around... (Coronavirus). Might be 3-4weeks getting over that bug from what I’m hearing.
    This target was 3-shots at 50yds with the 2016 mfg’d REMLIN 1895. Bushnell Banner 2-7 with 400gr Lee.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 395BB3D1-4EA8-403B-81BF-5709FB0CC204.jpg  
    Last edited by GooseGestapo; 03-14-2020 at 01:58 AM.

Boolit Master
    TC, no surprise here but 15 to 17 grains of Unique under the Lee 340 was a very useful combination for plinking -- and I carried a couple of these for "finishers" or for use on small game while deer hunting with hotter condom loads in the Marlins. Man, I am getting the shakes to have an 1895 again.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a late model JM 1895 with a 22" barrel and a 4X Leupold scope. The trigger pull was too heavy so a Wild West Happy Trigger was installed with the help of You Tube. Bolt in bolt out. Weight of pull was reduced to around 3 pounds or so with no more Marlin flop. Apparently a competent smith can significantly reduce this if desired.

Best group at 100 yds. has been 3.1" with the Lee plain base 405 gr. boolit. Some vertical stringing occurs when the barrel heats up. Given my shooting ability this should be adequate for any hunting I am liable to do.

Boolit Master

I will miss 4759 also. I used it for ignition of black powder in the .43 Spanish. It gave good accuracy and much cleaner burning in that big case. I put the 5.0 grains of 4759 in the case over the flash hole and left the case on its base down until finished loading with powder and bullet so it kept it in place over the flash hole . Cases and barrel were much cleaner after I started using it. Was suggested to me by the ol man himself, Fred Huntington senior. I cut the black powder charge by 5.0 grains also. Guess I will have to find another "kicker" powder now as my 1lb. can of 4759 is about gone.Worked for me anyway, james

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12