Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Repackbox Load Data

Thread: A lady in Florida needs help.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance

A lady in Florida needs help.

This, fortunately, is informational help only. She's family member to a new member on here, and has been alarmed at some recent crime in her area. (Area locked down as they chased down a murderer.) She's asked for self-defense information and so on. She's not a spring chicken, same as most of us, so learning some martial arts is a possibility (if just for mental calm / clarity) but not the main focus here, as "What martial art works best against a 12 gauge at 10 yards?" would be a likely question to be asked there; I don't gather she has much self-defense experience. I used to help at a self-defense school near here, some years ago, but that's with WA State laws (Horrid how many women we had come through who'd been offered violence. Kudos to them for training and becoming more adept at protecting themselves, though!)

Budget is unknown, I'll ask more on that. Obviously budget will drive the plan, as training and hardware aren't completely free.

I don't know Florida's laws, so I'd like to know if I get those right as I research them.

Near as I can tell she's in eastern Lee County, to give you an idea of where.

Is there a good firearm self-defense training course in that area? It'd be hard for me to help in person since we're a country apart. You fellow enablers () will have local knowledge which would help.

Not sure yet what her entire situation is, more questions to ask there.

My usual approach is to ask people to train in the law and then with the hardware, safety first, then operation. (No one wins if you have negligent discharges. And it's not good to "defend yourself" and end up having to defend yourself in court. Better yet when you don't even have to draw because the attacker decides not to risk picking on you, and leaves!) And basic tactics - plus knowing what you don't know - so you know NOT to house clear as a newbie, for example.

Picking hardware, lots to be said for a pump shotgun (If some twerp is breaking in, fortress up behind your mattress, put on eyepro, and set earpro up next to you, call 911 and tell them someone's breaking in, make SURE the officers can communicate with you before entry so you know not to aim at them, and you're not in too bad a position.) Recoil might point some towards smaller calibers, but even 410 ga. would void most attackers' warranties!

But if you move around inside a house a lot and need something with you, handguns are good (Nice if you can have the shotgun too, it's a good option.) I've learned that my preconceptions on "the right handgun" were not always applicable; Some people are revolver people, some are autoloader people. Some can shoot anything, even. What "feels right" to them and is comfortable to them to shoot & carry, is what they'll carry, so go with that.

(Had a nurse come through who'd get off work at 2-3 am who kept getting "kind offers" from the drunks and rapists up on Pilll Hill in Seattle; She got a Stainless Blackhawk in .357. Turned out she was a NATURAL revolver person, by the end of the class her "double taps" were in touching pairs, we drew shirt buttons on one target and she hit each of the three twice in a fairly fast drill. We usually suggested 1911s, at the time, but this worked for her!)

And physical hardening of her place would maybe be a good idea; Budget determines that to some extent.

More later as I get some problems fixed here (My place has some problems, among other things I just got my printer going again after FAR too long of being unable to print. Humor helps, fixing things helps even more )

Boolit Master

Fowler Firearms or Shoot Straight. Florida has a very strong Castle doctrine and stand your ground laws. I'm in Lee county as well. If she does not have a concealed carry then I would advocate getting one ASAP. I have personal experience with Fowler Firearms. They are friendly, have an indoor range and offer training classes. Feel free to PM me if you would like.

Boolit Grand Master

First off would be a firearms safety and basics course, this will give her a little back ground and experience to work with. Next wold be a more advanced or handgun course to gain more experience and proficiency, at this point she will be able to decide somewhat if the firearm is right for her. Then possibly some basic self defense classes, not so much physical but awareness, avoidance, and the laws. Last if she decides on it the concealed carry course. To many have the idea a firearm is the end all do all. Learning to be aware and see ahead of time and avoid situations is the better way. A home intrusion is a different issue than out and about is and may have broader laws. For the home intruder as said barricaded in a room with a shotgun loaded with heavy shot is good. The phone is important since 911 calls are recorded and can be used to prove what happened.

Boolit Master

I spend time in Lee county when we go to Florida Mostly at Fort Meyers Beach last time I was there there were a lot of homeless people begging there were days I did not walk the trails that are there because of people lurking , I asked a policeman about it he seemed perturbed they were not allowed to clean them out . He also said they were not allowed to take a count of them on the island .

I have a friend on facebook that is a shooter she is in a gated community South East of Fort Meyers and says she pretty much stays in at night anymore because of crime.
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.