Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Load DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Wideners Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pan for press

Pan for press

I will receive a MEC 650N press soon, I hope. I understand that mounting the press over a pan will help if anything spills.
    Can anyone tell me the size of the pan that will work best?

Thanks in advance.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Boolit Master
    If I understand correctly a standard cookie sheet with a rim should work. The idea is to catch any powder/shot that may come from a wrong move on the charge bar at the wrong time or from a shell splitting.

Getting ready to set mine up as well. May buy mama some new cookie sheets soon...

Boolit Master
    Have heard an old cafeteria tray works well.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    In their instructions, Mec recommends mounting your press to a piece of plywood 3/4x12x18 if your not going to permanently mount to your bench. I've done that for all mine. If you get a bake sheet or pie pan that the piece of plywood will fit inside you should be good to go. That being said, I've never put mine in a pan or on a sheet and the piece of plywood works great wherever I decide to load.

Boolit Master
    I use rimmed baking sheets for casting. Restaurant supply stores will have them in three sizes. I use the full sheet for casting. Keeps everything inside it. They work well to catch spills. Also work well when casting your own candles.

swamp
    There is no problem so great, that it cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives.

Boolit Master

NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master
    I use a cookie sheet under mine.

Moderator Emeritus

Not at home but I used the large pans with sides. Just make sure it is big enough to catch spills. I mounted it under my press to the bench top. After a few spills it was time to finally get one. I used the ex's old pan and got her a new one.

Boolit Grand Master
    It is a very wise move. I had two MEC's and hated the damn things. I sold them on eBay as I did not want to lose any friends at the club I shot at. You WILL dump shot eventually.

Mostly my fault when I had an accident and I have a low tolerance for frustration. Not a good combination. May users love the MEC's so I know it is me. I bet more shells have been reloaded on MEC's and another other loader. Good luck with yours!
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    I use a cookie sheet with a 1/2 inch lip under my Mec loaders a rather large one , but that is what I had at the time . Be careful filling the shot that's where you can really make a mess .

I want to thank you all for your input.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Bigger is better. Get as large as your bench will allow.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Moderator Emeritus

If I remember correctly, I drilled a small hole in one corner so I could just brush the shot out vs trying to pick it up.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MrWolf View Post
    If I remember correctly, I drilled a small hole in one corner so I could just brush the shot out vs trying to pick it up.
    Ingenious!!! I'm going to do that to mine!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Master
    While your at it drill another and add a piece of tubing to carry the spent primers down to a Coffey can under the bench. Oops, don’t know if that works with the 650, does great with grabbers and 9000s.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master

It's called a half sheet cake pan. Ordered two a couple of years ago for my casting pots.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg S View Post
    It's called a half sheet cake pan. Ordered two a couple of years ago for my casting pots.
    all my pots set on cookie sheets too.

What ever you do, do not, and I repeat, do not use you're wife's new Dyson vacuum to pick up the shot when she is home! Don't ask me how I know.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MrWolf View Post
    This is why this site is so great. What a great idea and simple as a stick.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

I learned on Dads old pacific press 50 years ago, smooth operator. Many years later, a buddy asked me to load some steel BBs for a duck hunt. I bought a Lee Load-All and some cross man copperheads. What could go wrong?

The Lee is interesting and it can make good shells. The mechanism travels up and down on a center square post. If the post binds on the press the post will pull out of the base. You will end up with all of the powder in shot in your lap. A sheet metal screw through the base into the post will correct the problem.

I don’t load much shotgun, mostly Buckshot and .69 RB, as I rarely shoot clay. It will do it but I have little need. I am working on a shot dripper design that I hope will work for small batches of #6 and #7 1/2, we shall see. Mounting a pan under the press will be a good addition.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast