MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Load DataWidenersInline FabricationLee Precision
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: USPS Lost 60lbs of Lead - Suggestions?

Boolit Grand Master

Glad to hear that it arrived. This problem seems to be getting more common.

A couple of comments. I would NEVER use USPS Express Shipping if you REALLY want to get your package WHEN it is DUE. You pay twice what the brown truck or the other guy ships small items for and they WILL get it there when they say they will. (yes there are exceptions) USPS doesn't really guarantee express shipping. And avoid if you have any alternative.

Boolit Master

Not very long ago they found a carrier who was filling a rental storage unit with MAIL he did not have TIME TO deliver!!!!!

SHUT THE FRONT DOOR!!

You just can’t make this stuff up!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    I have had repeated problems with “heavy” boxes. (Yes lead) I found that just changing where I shop from solved almost all. SOMEONE was perturbed about seeing my name and a heavy box.

I have had seen one take 6 weeks to be delivered. Complaints and searches did little even tho it should have been tagged with my inquiry. Always found someone or something partially obliterated the zip code.

I print labels bold large txt and I seal that in clear tape many layers. Also address on INSIDE ITEMS ASLO TIGHTLY TAPED UP.

I was quite bothered and annoyed when I thought to just ship from my work usps. Problem solved for me!

It’s very aggravating. Good luck!

CW

CW, did you ever have any luck with the 2nd box I never received of 450 BM boolits? According to the post office they delivered it. I still think someone probably stole it out of my mailbox. I filled out a police report but never heard back from them on the matter and the post office stuck to their story. I get someone else’s mail in my box at least once a week so it could have been delivered to someone else. Hopefully you had the box insured. Thanks for the generous offer BTW,just never got to me.
    USPS now emails me daily showing the mail I am getting delivered so I can at least raise heck when it dose not arrive...which has already happened. I have learned now that anything of value I have shipped to my parents address in a better neighborhood on the other side of town. Inconvenient, but it always arrives there and the packages are in better condition as well. They just don’t care on my side of town whether it’s ups, fed ex, or Usps. I received a Ruger 1022 air rifle last month from ups. The box was soak and wet from melted snow and salt from sitting on the floor of the truck and box was coming apart. I had them fill out a damage report and chewed the driver butt. He said it wasn’t his fault but and blamed it on the person who packed his truck. I called Ruger will I got it from and told them I would try to come out after it dries. I waited three weeks and tried it yesterday. CO2 cylinders port air out of it like an air fountain. It’s going back for a replacement today and I told Ruger to make sure they file a damage claim with UPS since I started one for them. I also ordered some JBS match Diabolo exact jumbo heavy 18.13 grain pellets from Amazon that will be going back with them. I never opened the box. It’s sounds like an Amazon rain forest tube when titling from side to side. I should have not been cheap and ordered from pyramidAir. I have the worst luck with shipping. I would say 80% of the time my packages are damaged. It took 4 shipments of 243 uppers from Midway to get one that the barrel wasn’t sticking out of the box and damaged...and one of them never arrived and was lost in shipment. All our retailers have and still are shutting down in the area because of not being able to compete with on line purchases. I’d pay a fair value to any retailer that I could put my hands on an in stock item to inspect before purchase and take home the same day over on line BS drama any day of the week!

Last edited by Tripplebeards; 02-27-2020 at 11:25 AM.

Boolit Master

Things that go on in our postal system are down right scary at times I recently talked to a person working in a sorting facility and a coworker actually had a near mental break down when a package she was handling said it was a rifle barrel on it the package! In another location that package probably would not have ever been delivered from such a nuts actions would have had it is the garbage.

I terribly upset a liberal high school classmate that is a postal worker once as she was crying about how poorly her employer was doing when I told her you can thank your beloved democrat party for that as they restrict some of the most profitable packages from the mail system!
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    My ex wife sent my son a credit card via UPS. It was last accounted for at a UPS lost and found. That was before someone got a hold of it and used it.

Boolit Master
    My buddy is a postmen, he tells me horror stories all the time from the postmaster stealing stamps to clerks and carriers stealing Christmas cards that they can feel a credit card in.
    The union protects most of these people( except postmaster got fired) for not doing their jobs and the part timers they hire to keep the f/t carriers from getting over time don’t care if they screw up their job because no one cares either except the carrier if he or she happens to be a good one.

No one is held accountable from our highest level in government to the stock boys at wallyworld.
    Small mom n pop stores are your last hope !!

Mike

It doesn’t help that I’ve seen their hourly positions go down about $10 an hour on last few years when new jobs are posted locally. They used to offer 25 to 27 bucks an hour and now it’s 10 bucks less starting. They’re getting what they pay for. Also when I’ve been down to complain when my mail doesn’t arrive they told me my mail will come all the way up to 8 o’clock at night now! I’m sure most are grateful for a job but how many people want to work 12 hour plus days. I sure most get burnt out quickly and loose pride in their work. I remember when it was a job requirement that the candidate had to previously serve in the military. In my opinion the reason why they shaved starting wages is because is because they stay short staffed so they don’t have to pay out more benefits and running people on several More hours of overtime they’re still saving tons of money by paying out less benefits. That’s your government for you.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 03-02-2020 at 02:47 PM.

Boolit Master

For those continuing to watch this thread, as an honest Shipper, you will be the LOSER in a claim for lost packaging at the USPO, unless you purchase TWICE the value of the goods shipped AND (most importantly) can prevail in your collection of TWICE the value from the USPO insurance.

Why? Once "lost" by the USPO, you should, if you want to continue to do business, reimburse the Purchaser for the materials for which they have paid you in advance that YOU shipped and they did not receive. If it never arrived, you have not completed your part of the deal. So you reimburse the Purchaser to save future business.

You are now out of pocket for TWICE the value of the materials and are facing potential reimbursement for only ONE HALF of your loss by insurance claim.

Case(s) in point, only part of shot received by dg31872 above, rotometals, and in my case I, was out of pocket for the lost materials AS WELL AS reimbursing the Purchaser. Winning the insurance claim is insufficient to make the Shipper EVEN after reshipping the lost materials.

I reimbursed my Purchaser when the Warehouse Monkeys at the USPO busted open and spilled the contents of my well packaged SFRB of 500 x 30-06 cal. pulled M-118 bullets. One of two identical SFRB's arrived intact. The 2nd was ripped into shreds and only a fraction of the bullets were delivered with the standard "We're sorry...blah, blah. blah." The rest were on the floor somewhere at a USPO Handling Facility.

I reimbursed the Purchaser for the lost materials, WHICH I NEVER GOT BACK, and at that point I was out of pocket for TWICE what the material was worth. The insurance claim was won and I got back to 50% loss for that "deal" with no recourse with the USPO.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Mold
    I know it may not be practical at times, but if you can box things tightly enough so that they don't sound like coins rattling around, you'll reduce problems. Nothings is as tempting as a heavy box that might be full of silver coins. You need not ask me how I know.

Boolit Master

Everything in package handling is automated. Packaging is expected to run through their "assembly line style" automated process. At the start, heavy packaging gets tossed like the Scottish Hammer Throw. What survives is expected to make all sorts of tight turns at velocities the human hand cannot sustain.

Whenever a package is torn apart, its contents spilled throughout the guts of their machinery, and it must be "Routine and Customary", the process stops, feed lines are cleared with disdain for the stoppage, the spilled contents removed in a fashion that befits the line worker's agitated spirit at the time, and the line started again.

There is no remorse in the worker in that line for the shipper, the package contents, the buyer, or anything other than "**** it! Again? Really? POC equipment. Stupid shippers. Get it started again before the boss starts harping." Etcetera. Etcetera. Etcetera.

The ONLY "satisfaction" in being reimbursed for ONE HALF of the value of a WELL packaged box that should have survived the journey (its brother did and the purchaser was as surprised as was I), is that line may have been down for quite a while as they picked nearly 500 jacketed bullets out of the intricacies of the machinery.

Once mangled, and contents are strewn about, there is no one willing (tasked, paid, responsible, caring, fill in the blank __________) to reassemble the components or get them to the addressee in this "insurance mad" world of automation where human intervention is supposed to be driven to zero.

You get ONE SHOT at this. Make it a good one!
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

I blame more if it on improper packaging most the time. I had two uppers shipped from midway loose in a box three times wider than it should have been. The first two uppers arrived with the barrels sticking out of box and the bird cages looked sanded. The 3rd was lost in the mail. The fourth showed up just fine after the shipping department took the upper out per my request and wrapped it in sheets of foam till it wouldn't move. I had the same issue with Numerics gun parts sending a laminate gun stock set thrown loose in a box with no packing.
    They wrecked all four sets that they had. I ended up keeping the last set that they at least tried to wrap up in foam per my request and they still wrapped it loose enough that it ended up banging around again. I buffed and sanded the clear coat the best i could and kept it since it was the last set of 15 year old ,“old stock”, wood set any one had in Existence.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 03-05-2020 at 11:46 AM.

Boolit Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	005.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	32.2 KB 
ID:	258070 a recent UPS delivery
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Years ago the VA sent my morphine & methadone by USPS with signature. I got the post card saying package needing signature just before Christmas . Right after New Years I show up with the card to get my meds. They couldn’t find it. The VA of course refused to replace it, even though I still had the signature needed card. VA cops got involved, package never found, and then they went with UPS.
    Ordered a Cold Steel blowgun from Midway I think. Was on backorder. Four months later it was shipped. Supposedly delivered, but of course it wasn’t. Sent a rather nasty E-mail to the company. They apologized profusely. Sent out another box. Ten months later I find a huge, damaged, partially opened box at front door . No name/address/anything, just some numbers. My original box .
    UPS bringing me a muzzleloader. End of box open, round balls ⚽️ rolling around in it. Many missing. Barrel sticking out. This was a five foot long Dixie poor boy in .32. When I pulled it out the rear sight fell off! At least it wasn’t missing.
    Another time I ordered the 7 Best of Buckskinning books series. Opened box, ripped to pieces, only 5 there.
    Last: kept a PO box for 10 years in El Paso. Mailed to it monthly. It was at Mailboxes Inc. always addressed exactly the same: street address- line- #123. It came back 4 days later as undeliverable as addressed. I went there to get it straight. Gave them the envelope, got the same answer. I told him that somehow it had magically reached its destination monthly for 10 Years (!) addressed the very same way, & if it was sent out they would know what to do with it there. He had the gall to ask for new postage to (re)- send it! I said that hell would freeze over before I gave him 2 stamps to send 1 envelope 1 time!!! By now I have a large crowd behind me, all in a huge hurry. People started throwing quarters on the countertop. Soon after that our pathetic post office from hell was closed. Their service was absolutely missing in action!
    I really hate the post office!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was just thinking it would be funny as hell if a porch pirate tried to steal a 60 pound box full of lead.

Live to get a video of it small supper heavy box

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Two MFRB parcels of lead showing "In Transit" with no other tracking details. A third box taken to a different PO the following day has already been delivered. Guess which PO I won't be using again. They're probably sitting behind the counter, having never left the building.

Boolit Grand Master

I save old boxes, bubble wrap and any other stuff that I think may be useful in packaging stuff. I try tp package it so that there is no movement in the box. And no loose ends, edges that will snag on anything, and all seams taped up. I recently sent another member some zinc wheel weights in a medium flat rate box. I cut enough cardboard from other boxes to double line the box and I used most of a roll of tape on it. When I send BNE lead to analyze I fill the box and use lots of tape.

I feel like a seller should be responsible for the item until the buyer receives it so I package my stuff to survive rough handling.

Boolit Master

I've had my share of USPO problems when buying lead alloy shipped by Priority Mail.
    A lot of the problems are related to Poor packaging.
    60lbs of LINOTYPE just thrown loose in a box with no padding or extra tape is an accident waiting to happen.
    I once had to pick up a 60lb box of Lino from the P O, two corners were ripped open and there was about 10 pieces of Lino left in the box.
    Filed a claim, The P O told me to take it up with the shipper.
    I did and 3 months later eBay made it right.

The best packing I've ever seen for Lead is 7 sm priority boxes, each packed with ingots and then packed into a med prio box. Very tight fit. Lots & Lots of tape.

Around here the female mail carriers won't touch a package that weighs more then 3 lbs. You have to go to the main P O to pick it up yourself. And no help for the handicapped. They just push it out the bottom of a half door and then slam it shut.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

I Tell you it’s getting pretty sickening. I received my pellets from pyramid yesterday from UPS. I even had it shipped to a different address thinking maybe they were targeting me and giving me love to my packages. Different address 10 miles away with A different delivery person. UPS took some special time out of their day to give my package some love. They poked three holes in it till they got through the phone didn’t my pellet tin twice damaging Some of the Hades I ordered. My replacement air rifle that leaked air after it got soaked melted snow/salt water is coming today we’ll see what that looks like.

Whatever happened to UPS/Usps/ FedEx of the 80s when every package came perfect and Undamaged??? And everybody cared about their jobs and had pride in their work?

Out of everything I order I would say a good 80% of my packages or more come damaged in the last couple years no matter what carrier I use.

Boolit Grand Master

It does seem to be a shame. All of the things that we considered to have honor and integrity seem to be gone. Knowing this, how far the PO has fallen, should cause everyone to package their stuff better.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast