Load DataTitan ReloadingRepackboxLee Precision
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Wideners RotoMetals2

Thread: Just out of curiosity.

Banned

Just out of curiosity.

I was just wondering because I have just a few 6.5 Creedmoor and several 308 Winchester cases on hand. Has anyone here tried reforming 308 down to 6.5 Creedmoor? Not looking to jump on a major reforming session, it was just a thought. If so what process did you use?
    I know there would be some trimming, neck turning and possibly some neck reaming, but as far as the reforming process how would you take it down from .308 to .264?
    Just asked for the discussion and info side of it, since you folks here are so knowledgeable about these processes.
    Last edited by tankgunner59; 02-26-2020 at 12:42 AM.

That sounds like work to me. It would be easier to convert 22-250 brass. But 6.5 Creedmoor brass is everywhere since it appears to be the 6.5 that "made it to the big time".

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    ^^^^^^^^^^^ this!!!! Yes, it can be done, but the proliferation of 6.5 CM brass would make it just a case of “ I want to see if I can do this” rather than “ I have this gun and no brass to be found” type of scenario. Just my humble opinion.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Boolit Master

Been reforming .308s to 6.5C before it went mainstream.
    I anneal the cases first then turn (I use RCBS) the outside neck before sizing with 6.5C FL sizer (I use Hornady). I don't use intermediate sizer, lot easier to narrow the casemouth than expand it.
    ...Speak softly & carry a big stick...

Boolit Master
    I have a die set that would probably work for most of that.
    It was designed to make .250 Savage and .22/250 from .30-06.
    Just push the shoulder back with 2 forming dies.
    Then use a trim die to cut off the long neck.
    Then a reamer die to ream the neck or you could substitute a neck turning tool.
    With some chambers and some brass you might be able to skip the neck reaming or turning.

After reaming and turning anneal the neck and shoulders.
    Then FL size and load.

I would not recommend doing such an epic marathon in one day.
    Do one operation to 125 cases per session.
    One session a week
    It will take you 5 or 6 weeks like eating an elephant - just take one little bite at a time.
    EDG

Banned

I know it's no longer needed since the commercial brass is available. I was just wondering if anyone had done it. Thanks all.

Boolit Bub
    I was doing it as well a long time ago from military 7.62 brass because it was cheap and I couldn't get 6.5CM brass. I wrote up an article on Google Docs showing how to do it step by step, if you want to see it I can link it.

Boolit Grand Master
    I never understood why the .260 was not more widely embraced. Imagine that...an easy way of making brass from .308's. In practical terms (hunting at 400 yards and less) using factory rifles, the 6.5CM offers less. Marketing BS at its finest.
    Don Verna

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    I never understood why the .260 was not more widely embraced. Imagine that...an easy way of making brass from .308's. In practical terms (hunting at 400 yards and less) using factory rifles, the 6.5CM offers less. Marketing BS at its finest.
    The 6.5CM only blossomed because it fits in an AR10 platform, it is outperformed any day of the week by the 6.5 Swedish Mauser so if you want to go 6.5 in a bolt action, go for the best.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    I believe that one reason - besides the excellent marketing of the Creedmoor - that the .260 isn't more popular is that it eats barrels more quickly. I was considering the .260 for a specific purpose, and the 6.5X47 was recommended as an alternative - less recoil, longer barrel life. My concern with the 6.5X47 is that there are currently only two sources for brass - Lapua, and Peterson.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Banned

I like my 6.5 and it shoots very well at shorter ranges, I can get sub MOA at the shorter ranges with my Axis 6.5 Creedmoor. I don't have a range to shoot the longer distances. But I found this that interested me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7UYXXuX4l0

Boolit Buddy
    I reform LC 308 cases for 6.5 CM. Started before brass was readily available. Keep doing it because I have the brass and they make one tough case. When I use it all up I doubt I keep doing it. With 308 Military brass you will more than likely have donut problems. This is very hard to remedy but easy to stop from happening in the reforming process. I use a shortened 308 trim die in my first step. I form the neck a little longer than needed. Then outside turn to desired thickness for my chamber. Turn to 1-2 thousands thinner than desired as the neck will still need to be formed to 6.5. Next form with 6.5 FL die. Will then have to fire form to push shoulder back out where it needs to be. After fireforming you want the turned part of the neck to be climbing up the shoulder 2-3 thousands of an inch. This keeps the donut from forming from the excess brass left in that area. You will have to experiment on a few cases to get it in the right place. Once dies are set it's not as difficult as it seems and makes real nice brass. Will back off load a couple grains as 308 military brass is usually thick enough to cause pressure problems.