WidenersSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2RepackboxInline FabricationLoad Data
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PC and Competition.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska

PC and Competition.

What are the regulations on shooting PCed boolits in composition ? Are they always allowed, sometimes or not at all?

Boolit Buddy
    Greg, From the Single action shooting society rulebook in the ammunition section :

• Pistol and rifle ammunition may not be jacketed, semi-jacketed, plated, gas checked, or copper washed. It must be all lead. Molydisulfide coated bullets, polymer coated bullets, or equivalent are acceptable.

Cheers

Boolit Master

Two words....

SMOKES CLEAR

Cw
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Just a story on me - the first time I used PCed bullets in a competition was a local one.

I knew I was going to take some heat so I used Smoke's Red. Yep, it drew comments - so did my score

Then for the December shoot I coated with Red, Blue and Green. Got some good laughs - so did my score

What the hey, I had fun.

Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    Two words....

SMOKES CLEAR

Cw
    Rodger THAT!

Boolit Master
    A little confusing since they say jacketed are not acceptable, but polymer coated are. I guess their thinking is only metal can be a jacket?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonheart View Post
    A little confusing since they say jacketed are not acceptable, but polymer coated are. I guess their thinking is only metal can be a jacket?
    If you shoot steel at close range, jackets can and will ricochet back at the shooter whereas lead will not.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by igolfat8 View Post
    If you shoot steel at close range, jackets can and will ricochet back at the shooter whereas lead will not.
    Neither will a Polymer Jacket.

Vendor Sponsor

So if the bullet does not have grooves would it be a straight jacket ?
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke4320 View Post

I think we are a bit aways from a majority of people refering to powder coat as a polymer jacket.
    The factory offerings from federal and the like may speed up acceptance of the classification as a jacket.

I would find it being classified as a jacketed bullet with no other qualifiers, to be less than ideal. I would find the term "polymer jacket" to be an accurate description. Lets anyone that gives it a moment to think about it, to guess how it will behave, simple loading like a traditional jacket, impact characteristics of cast lead.

But really i dont care what others refer to it as. I had a buddy the other day text me about his new hobby, painting bob ross style; i told him he can paint canvas, ill continue to paint boolits.
    Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition.

Boolit Master
    Cast Bullet Association rule:

"4.1 Cast Bullet - A projectile made of lead or lead alloy which has received its basic form by being cast of molten metal in a mold rather than being formed in a die. Except in the Plain Base Bullet class, a gas check having a sidewall height of no more than 0.10" may be attached to the base. Enlarging or reducing a cast bullet by bumping or swaging is permitted."

Doesn't say anything about powder coating and have not seen any match results with PC bullets.

If you guys keep calling it a polymer jacket some organization is going to declare them not valid for cast bullet competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke4320 View Post
    Lol.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post

If you guys keep calling it a polymer jacket some organization is going to declare them not valid for cast bullet competition.
    Send your request to Federal Cartridge Company, maybe they will change their marketing?

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post

"4.1 Cast Bullet - A projectile made of lead or lead alloy which has received its basic form by being cast of molten metal in a mold rather than being formed in a die. Except in the Plain Base Bullet class, a gas check having a sidewall height of no more than 0.10" may be attached to the base. Enlarging or reducing a cast bullet by bumping or swaging is permitted."

Doesn't say anything about powder coating and have not seen any match results with PC bullets.

I have never seen a CBA match won with a PC bullet do it may not matter; but I must admit I have not been diligent about keeping up.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    I think that has more to do with preserving the steel.

The IDPA matches I shoot include steel, and I'd wager the vast majority of shooters run 9mm FMJ.

Conversely, I've taken tons of splatter ricochets over the years from lead boolits hitting steel.

In the 80s, my club held a steel plate match, 5 plates at 20 yards. Fully 95% of shooters ran .38 WCs. Every hit sounded like a handfull of gravel hitting the steel cover over the firing line. Everyone, including spectators got pelted, and a few people went home with a tiny lead fragments in there skin.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtarm View Post
    I think that has more to do with preserving the steel.

The IDPA matches I shoot include steel, and I'd wager the vast majority of shooters run 9mm FMJ.

Conversely, I've taken tons of splatter ricochets over the years from lead boolits hitting steel.

In the 80s, my club held a steel plate match, 5 plates at 20 yards. Fully 95% of shooters ran .38 WCs. Every hit sounded like a handfull of gravel hitting the steel cover over the firing line. Everyone, including spectators got pelted, and a few people went home with a tiny lead fragments in there skin.
    I believe that mounting plates with at an angle so that the splatter is directed to the ground can minimize splatter coming back.
    Don Verna

All I shoot in IDPA & my friends shoot in USPSA. CAS even allows coated.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Oh but lead bullets will frag &/or ricochet. Its all about the condition of the steel & how it is set.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master

Absolutely. Lead WILL absolutely ricochet why on earth could someone think it wouldn’t??

What is is is a lot SAFER! Less sharp and less of a chance of injury. BUT BUT BUT! As stated above condition of said plates, HOW said plates are hung and LOCATION of spectators is always a variable!!

I’m a bullseye shooter for about forty years. About 1/2 of that winter leagues indoors meaning proper ranges and guess what... EYE PROTECTION IS REQUIRED ON THE RANGE ... Can ya tell me why? Yup anything solid propelled against a hard object carries a possibility of ricochet!!!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast