RepackboxWidenersADvertise hereTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

Thread: PC and Competition.

  1. #1
    Boolit Master



    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    1,373

    PC and Competition.

    What are the regulations on shooting PCed boolits in composition ? Are they always allowed, sometimes or not at all?

  2. #2
    Boolit Bub
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    61
    Greg, From the Single action shooting society rulebook in the ammunition section :

    • Pistol and rifle ammunition may not be jacketed, semi-jacketed, plated, gas checked, or copper washed. It must be all lead. Molydisulfide coated bullets, polymer coated bullets, or equivalent are acceptable.

    Cheers

  3. #3
    Boolit Master



    cwlongshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Central Connecticut
    Posts
    1,997
    Two words....

    SMOKES CLEAR

    Cw
    NRA Life member REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.

  4. #4
    Boolit Master Toymaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Springfield, VA
    Posts
    563
    Just a story on me - the first time I used PCed bullets in a competition was a local one.

    I knew I was going to take some heat so I used Smoke's Red. Yep, it drew comments - so did my score

    Then for the December shoot I coated with Red, Blue and Green. Got some good laughs - so did my score

    What the hey, I had fun.

  5. #5
    Boolit Buddy
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Minne-Snow-Ta!
    Posts
    222
    Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    Two words....

    SMOKES CLEAR

    Cw
    Rodger THAT!

  6. #6
    Boolit Master
    Dragonheart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Katy, Texas
    Posts
    2,388
    A little confusing since they say jacketed are not acceptable, but polymer coated are. I guess their thinking is only metal can be a jacket?

  7. #7
    Boolit Buddy
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Central OH
    Posts
    471
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonheart View Post
    A little confusing since they say jacketed are not acceptable, but polymer coated are. I guess their thinking is only metal can be a jacket?
    If you shoot steel at close range, jackets can and will ricochet back at the shooter whereas lead will not.

  8. #8
    Boolit Master
    Dragonheart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Katy, Texas
    Posts
    2,388
    Quote Originally Posted by igolfat8 View Post
    If you shoot steel at close range, jackets can and will ricochet back at the shooter whereas lead will not.
    Neither will a Polymer Jacket.

  9. #9
    Vendor Sponsor

    Smoke4320's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Right here ..at least I was a minute ago
    Posts
    4,457
    So if the bullet does not have grooves would it be a straight jacket ?
    I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

    http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

    Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

    PULSAR night vision and thermal dealer !!!
    PM me for a good deal

    I am not crazy my mom had me tested

    Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

  10. #10
    Boolit Buddy
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Minne-Snow-Ta!
    Posts
    222
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke4320 View Post
    So if the bullet does not have grooves would it be a straight jacket ?

  11. #11
    Boolit Buddy
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    195
    I think we are a bit aways from a majority of people refering to powder coat as a polymer jacket.
    The factory offerings from federal and the like may speed up acceptance of the classification as a jacket.

    I would find it being classified as a jacketed bullet with no other qualifiers, to be less than ideal. I would find the term "polymer jacket" to be an accurate description. Lets anyone that gives it a moment to think about it, to guess how it will behave, simple loading like a traditional jacket, impact characteristics of cast lead.

    But really i dont care what others refer to it as. I had a buddy the other day text me about his new hobby, painting bob ross style; i told him he can paint canvas, ill continue to paint boolits.
    Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition.

  12. #12
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Las Cruces, NM
    Posts
    1,371
    Cast Bullet Association rule:

    "4.1 Cast Bullet - A projectile made of lead or lead alloy which has received its basic form by being cast of molten metal in a mold rather than being formed in a die. Except in the Plain Base Bullet class, a gas check having a sidewall height of no more than 0.10" may be attached to the base. Enlarging or reducing a cast bullet by bumping or swaging is permitted."

    Doesn't say anything about powder coating and have not seen any match results with PC bullets.

    If you guys keep calling it a polymer jacket some organization is going to declare them not valid for cast bullet competition.

  13. #13
    Moderator


    Minerat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Jefferson County, CO
    Posts
    3,678
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke4320 View Post
    So if the bullet does not have grooves would it be a straight jacket ?
    Lol.
    Steve,

    Life Member NRA
    Member: Clear Creek County Sportsman Association


    Kilo Charlie zero Golf Papa Tango

  14. #14
    Boolit Master
    Dragonheart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Katy, Texas
    Posts
    2,388
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Cast Bullet Association rule:

    If you guys keep calling it a polymer jacket some organization is going to declare them not valid for cast bullet competition.
    Send your request to Federal Cartridge Company, maybe they will change their marketing?

  15. #15
    Boolit Master


    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Northern Michigan
    Posts
    4,053
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Cast Bullet Association rule:

    "4.1 Cast Bullet - A projectile made of lead or lead alloy which has received its basic form by being cast of molten metal in a mold rather than being formed in a die. Except in the Plain Base Bullet class, a gas check having a sidewall height of no more than 0.10" may be attached to the base. Enlarging or reducing a cast bullet by bumping or swaging is permitted."

    Doesn't say anything about powder coating and have not seen any match results with PC bullets.

    If you guys keep calling it a polymer jacket some organization is going to declare them not valid for cast bullet competition.
    I have never seen a CBA match won with a PC bullet do it may not matter; but I must admit I have not been diligent about keeping up.
    Don Verna

    NRA Endowment Member

  16. #16
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    517
    Quote Originally Posted by igolfat8 View Post
    If you shoot steel at close range, jackets can and will ricochet back at the shooter whereas lead will not.
    I think that has more to do with preserving the steel.

    The IDPA matches I shoot include steel, and I'd wager the vast majority of shooters run 9mm FMJ.

    Conversely, I've taken tons of splatter ricochets over the years from lead boolits hitting steel.

    In the 80s, my club held a steel plate match, 5 plates at 20 yards. Fully 95% of shooters ran .38 WCs. Every hit sounded like a handfull of gravel hitting the steel cover over the firing line. Everyone, including spectators got pelted, and a few people went home with a tiny lead fragments in there skin.

  17. #17
    Boolit Master


    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Northern Michigan
    Posts
    4,053
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtarm View Post
    I think that has more to do with preserving the steel.

    The IDPA matches I shoot include steel, and I'd wager the vast majority of shooters run 9mm FMJ.

    Conversely, I've taken tons of splatter ricochets over the years from lead boolits hitting steel.

    In the 80s, my club held a steel plate match, 5 plates at 20 yards. Fully 95% of shooters ran .38 WCs. Every hit sounded like a handfull of gravel hitting the steel cover over the firing line. Everyone, including spectators got pelted, and a few people went home with a tiny lead fragments in there skin.
    I believe that mounting plates with at an angle so that the splatter is directed to the ground can minimize splatter coming back.
    Don Verna

    NRA Endowment Member

  18. #18
    Boolit Grand Master fredj338's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    kalif.
    Posts
    5,987
    All I shoot in IDPA & my friends shoot in USPSA. CAS even allows coated.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

  19. #19
    Boolit Grand Master fredj338's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    kalif.
    Posts
    5,987
    Quote Originally Posted by igolfat8 View Post
    If you shoot steel at close range, jackets can and will ricochet back at the shooter whereas lead will not.
    Oh but lead bullets will frag &/or ricochet. Its all about the condition of the steel & how it is set.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

  20. #20
    Boolit Master



    cwlongshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Central Connecticut
    Posts
    1,997
    Absolutely. Lead WILL absolutely ricochet why on earth could someone think it wouldn’t??

    What is is is a lot SAFER! Less sharp and less of a chance of injury. BUT BUT BUT! As stated above condition of said plates, HOW said plates are hung and LOCATION of spectators is always a variable!!

    I’m a bullseye shooter for about forty years. About 1/2 of that winter leagues indoors meaning proper ranges and guess what... EYE PROTECTION IS REQUIRED ON THE RANGE ... Can ya tell me why? Yup anything solid propelled against a hard object carries a possibility of ricochet!!!

    CW
    NRA Life member REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Abbreviations used in Reloading

BP Bronze Point IMR Improved Military Rifle PTD Pointed
BR Bench Rest M Magnum RN Round Nose
BT Boat Tail PL Power-Lokt SP Soft Point
C Compressed Charge PR Primer SPCL Soft Point "Core-Lokt"
HP Hollow Point PSPCL Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt" C.O.L. Cartridge Overall Length
PSP Pointed Soft Point Spz Spitzer Point SBT Spitzer Boat Tail
LRN Lead Round Nose LWC Lead Wad Cutter LSWC Lead Semi Wad Cutter
GC Gas Check