RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad Data
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWidenersInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Repackbox

Thread: New to me 38 special

Boolit Buddy

New to me 38 special

I picked up a lightly used S&W 67-3 yesterday and have a couple questions for the resident Smith experts. The revolver is neat as a pin, no endshake, slight drag on a .004 feeler gauge, a couple light machine marks in the forcing cone. Fit and finish is clean and sharp. It appears the previous owner replaced the cylinder latch with a new model MIM latch button, more "racey" I guess and the hammer and trigger are not stainless but case hardened. I am just guessing that these were shipped with Stainless parts. I kinda like the contrast so thats fine with me. Also along with the hole in the top strap used to secure the rear sight, there are 2 additional holes drilled and tapped in line with the sight screw hole about .75 inch apart extending rearward. Are these extra holes done at the factory or did someone do it to maybe mount some type of aftermarket sight? Anyone know the production dates for the 67-3 guns? Dang thats a lot. Thanks

Boolit Grand Master
    They were made from 1993-1998, according to the Standard Catalog Of Smith and Wesson. In 1997, they changed the cylinder release to the one you have and replaced the hard-chromed trigger and hammer with MIM parts, which became standard on the 67-4 and following.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master

Unless I'm mistaken, S&W didn't drill and tap K frame service guns for scope mounts like they did on later model N frame guns.

Curiously, I have two "pre" model N frames that were drilled and tapped by previous owners. Totally kills collector value, but makes for affordable shooters, which is what I want!

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the information. I guess I must have a mid-change gun. The trigger and hammer are not mim parts, there are no voids or hollow spots. Maybe the gun shipped with the parts as is.
    Last edited by cupajoe; 02-25-2020 at 06:48 PM.

Boolit Master
    If the muzzle end of the rear sight is rounded it should be factory D&T for a scope.

Banned
    The S&W Model 67-3 did have a hammer and trigger with a case hardened finish from the factory. It also had the heavier barrel profile similar to the model 66 (probably the same barrel marked differently to save money). The earlier model 67 series had the flash chrome finish on the hammer and trigger but that went away later on.

The 67-3 have a RB grip frame (S&W started standardizing all grip frames to the RB configuration to save money)

The 66-4, which is the same vintage (mid 1990's) had top straps that were drilled and tapped for scope mounts, so it's possible the model 67's of the same years shared that feature.

And I think ???? the thumb piece of those models that were produced just before the introduction of MIM parts and the internal lock had the new style thumb piece but I'm not certain.

The model 67 is basically a stainless version of the model 15 and is one of the models that have eluded me. I've run across them over the years but never in the price range I was willing to pay. Police agencies that wanted a stainless steel revolver chambered in 38 Special tended to purchase the model 64 in far greater numbers. The 64 had fixed sights, which a lot of departments required AND the 64 was almost always a bit less expensive (important to the bean counters). Therefore there have always been more model 64's on the used market than used model 67's. The California Highway Patrol [CHP] issued the model 67 and the model 68 (yes, there was such a thing as a model 68 - it was a 6" barreled S.S. K-frame with adjustable sights !) but a lot of departments that required 38 Special opted for the fixed sights of the model 64.
    The 67 was popular with officers that had to carry a revolver chambered in 38 Special but were also required to purchase their own gun. And more than one marksmanship team was somehow equipped with model 67's even when the rest of their agency was issued model 64's (funny how that happened)

By the time the 67 - 3 came out, law enforcement sales of DA revolvers were almost non-existent. (not to mention the trickle of sales that were still occurring were competing with S&W's own L-frame models)

It's a bit of a shame that the model 67's are a little less common, it's a great combination of features.

So to answer the OP, yes the case hardened finish on the hammer and trigger is appropriate.
    Yes, that frame may have been drilled and tapped under the rear sight at the factory.

The barrel should have a heavier profile than an early model 67 and the grip frame on that dash 3 should be a round butt configuration.

In other words, you have a fairly un-molested model 67-3
    Last edited by Petrol & Powder; 02-25-2020 at 07:36 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Well thats good news indeed, an un-molested model 67-3. I really appreciate the knowledge "on tap" hereabouts. I stumbled onto this little cutie this past Friday while gunshop hopping with my youngest son, on a quest for powder. I could hear it whispering to me all weekend. I surrendered yesterday morning and made the 45 mile trip to make things right. The heavier barrel does indeed "hang on target" better than my 67-1 and the round butt does allow for more grip options. Life is good!!

Boolit Master

My mistake about the tapped holes. I guess by then they (S&W) did it across the board on all models.