Titan ReloadingLoad DataWidenersInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2RepackboxLee Precision
Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a used bayonet....

Boolit Buddy

Looking for a used bayonet....

Gents - Thought this may the most appropriate place to ask. I've been out of the Milsurp loop for the past 15-20 years, so looking for leads to find a used, but decent shape bayonet to leave in the truck for a utility cutting tool more than anything. I'd like to find a bayonet and sheath, maker, markings not important, but US made is. Like to find something along the lines of a M5, M6 or M7 (as in M1, M14, M16 bayonets) Not looking for repro or collector items - tried looking at EB and a few online Surplus sites - just haven't found what I'm looking for. Anyone have leads for a place where I can buy one on these, at regular pricing, not worry about junk or knock off stuff - I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks Bill in MA

J&G Sales has original carbine bayonets for sale, around $70 I believe.

NumNuts (Numrich Gun Parts Corp) has them also. If you have an FFL or C&R you can also get a discount.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/search#query=m16%20bayonet
    "Adults are the children and the children are the adults" Jules my wife.

All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife. — Daniel Boone

Democracy is defended in 3 stages: Ballot Box, Jury Box, Cartridge Box. — Ambrose Bierce

A system of licensing and registration is the perfect device to deny gun ownership to the bourgeoisie. — Vladimir Ilyich Lenin

Black Rifles Matter

NRA Life Member, SAF Member, GOA Member, TFA Member

Boolit Master

M7 are easy enough to find and my personal favorite.

Last one I bought was a gen cutlery off ebay.

Sportsman's guide, Coleman's surplus etc should have working grade examples.

Good luck
    Last edited by WebMonkey; 02-28-2020 at 02:39 PM.
    WebMonkey
    Retired 19D
    Psalm 91:9
    Honda 919

Boolit Buddy
    You can find M1 Garand fighting knives for cheap they are post war

Only M16 bayonet that I have is a German Eickhorn make - quite well made, but the scabbard that they provided with it was junk & not up to required build quality.
    May look for an issue scabbard for it one of these days...

You think finding a US bayonet is a problem, I'm trying to find a WW2 dated bayonet for a Lee Enfield No.5 carbine..!

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the leads - I have a good idea what I want to find, just looking for places to shop! Thanks Bill in MA

My advice would be to take a road trip around S.E. Mass, visiting gun shops (the older, the better - although a newer tactical shop may have one) and actually ask if they have one for sale.

I got a gennie M8 at a Mass funshow many years ago, then ground the barrel ring off to make it handier.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    IMHO, bayonets make relatively poor knives, the steel is tough so it holds a rather dull edge for a long time but doesn’t hold a good edge at all. Obviously some are better than others and I have played with only a few. FWIW, I prefer something like a small kukri, but also use combination of small hatchets and small fixed blade knives.

Boolit Master

If you want a truck knife buy one of the glocks knifes google them usually pretty cheap if you want a bayonet esarco for that a garand bayonet from korea era usually cheap enough compared to other bayonets over $50 then its not a good buy

You can check Gunbroker
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post
    I got a gennie M8 at a Mass funshow many years ago, then ground the barrel ring off to make it handier.

LOOKS like what you got was an M7, with an M8A1 scabbard

The last bayonet I had was for a Sig PE57 rifle. High quality; Liberty Tree has them for $48. For a truck knife, I would spend considerably less money.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Why a Bayonet ?.
    Why not use something like a K Bar or other Combat Knife.
    The military had lots of them.
    The Navy had Dive Knifes , and the Airforce had Survival knifes.

Boolit Master
    Swedish military bayonet with scabbard. very good steel in it,can be sharpened to a razors edge and a steel scabard. or a little cheaper look for one of the spanish CETME style which is the same one they used on the FR07 and FR-8 little carbines. Blade looks more like a machate but should get a good edge. Russian Ak bayo first model with the long pointy blade. Will sharpen once you get past the heavy chrome they used. I used a very coarse stone to get through the chrome and a couple finer stones to refine the edge.Frank

Boolit Buddy
    Gents - Thought I'd give you an update. I started searching around more at what's available and the cost, found a bunch of used USGI ones. I know they're designed as a tool, but it seemed a shame to put wear on a perfectly good US bayonet, that may or may not have some collector value in the future. So following a lead here, I found an FR7 bayonet in minty, but slightly used, condition on EB and it's on the way. No idea what an FR7 rifle is, but the bayonet looked like it should fill the need of what I was looking for. Not USGI, but for around $30 shipped, it should served well, when needed. Atleast it's military quality, not made in China and I won't mind if it gets some finish wear with use and resharpening. Thanks again Bill in MA

Boolit Master
    Plus 1 on the Glock field knife they have 2 versions one of which has a saw built into the back of the blade. They hold an edge very well and are a lot easier to find not to mention they are lower priced. You could get 2 for the price of a quality U S bayonet. I have one on my belt of my metal detecting kit and it gets a lot of use.

IMHO best bang for teh buck in sheath knives is the Swedish Mora less that $20 and good carbon steel.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    IMHO, bayonets make relatively poor knives, the steel is tough so it holds a rather dull edge for a long time but doesn’t hold a good edge at all. Obviously some are better than others and I have played with only a few. FWIW, I prefer something like a small kukri, but also use combination of small hatchets and small fixed blade knives.

FWIW, the only reason I carry my bayonet is for self-defense, where stabbing is usually the best option.

(I long ago learned that if multiple assailants are involved, it's best to drop onto my back and stab whoever's above me.)

I fashioned a single x-loop of paracord into a harness for mine that allows it to be carried CCW underneath my armpit...….

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Buddy
    try midway they had a good deal on m1 carbine originals for a great price

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast