Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingInline FabricationWideners
RepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading

Thread: Lyman peep sight

Boolit Master

Lyman peep sight

Just getting back to a 1952 Marlin 336RC that I received with a Lyman peep sight. I purchased off this sight and seller did not tell me the one of the threaded holes was stripped. Regardless after a few years I just completed fixing the hole best I can. Actually wasn't that hard just needed some time to think about best way to fix.

The top of the sight actually the peep, falls off once in a while. Almost like either the rod that attaches to the top isn't just right or the adjustment screw (same thing ) doesn't stay tight. I'm going to try and reverse the washer that is designed to go into the two little dimples.

Any suggestions?
    Thanks in advance DWD

Boolit Master
    If it is the Lyman 66 the large push button on the left ( rear) face of the sight body releases the body from the part that is attached to the receiver. If tha button gets bumped accidentally the sight body will come off.

The very fine headless screw coming out of the top of the body is not a lock screw. It is there to locate the position of the body so you can put it back on correctly if (when) you take it off.
    Some times it's the pot,
    Some times it's the pan,
    It might even be the skillet,
    But, most of the time, it's the cook.

Boolit Master
    So flirted with the sight a little more after work. Thought if I reversed the washer(?) it would work better, wrong. But I did find that this washer was cracked in the middle, didn't seem like it affected it much once I put in back together. I have it back together and screw feels just ok, but the peep is loose like a tooth! I could see any way to tighten or what is causing this? Attachment 257483Attachment 257484Attachment 257485Attachment 257486Attachment 257487Attachment 257483Attachment 257484Attachment 257485Attachment 257486Attachment 257487

Boolit Grand Master
    That washer thing...picture 5.....is the detent for the knob.
    It also takes up what slack there is.
    It's like a spring washer.
    It goes in only one way to work as it's suppose to.
    The adjustment screw should have a stop (looks like a small round washer) on the inside, that keeps the tension on the washer.
    If that stop is gone, it will not be tight.
    Mines has target knobs, but I think the regular knobs work the same.
    Attachment 257501

Boolit Grand Master

If the washer is " cracked in the middle " it's not going to work correctly .
    You need to track down a replacement washer ... maybe try Lyman first , they still make the #66 peep sight and just might have washers and screws .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"