MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad DataWideners
RepackboxRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: car problem (real head scratcher)

Boolit Master
    this is what usually happens in these scenarios, you have an issue which is comprised of several issues all coming together at one time, and being judiscious and frugal we always (mechanics and other mechanicaly inclined persons) try to fix in the most expedient manner ( reads most obvious and frugal) then we move on to the last of the symptoms. IE swmbo says kitchen light doesn't work, my reply did you turn the switch? As my senses slowly return from the death glare I suggest maybe I'll ck the light bulb then then fuses, after all it's a pretty big expense to just go out and have a new power line and service put in only to find out that the power transmission line has been compromised by a storm. I believe most suggestions here are based on personal experience and we all like to try and save the worst for last, you may very well have to do some transmission work but at least you haven't just tossed parts randomly at it without consideration. Remember cars, firearms, and spouses are all the same, everyone is different!!!!!

Boolit Master
    I'm still betting it is coil packs, and or, oil soaked plug wires/boots.
    I'm betting it is not a torq converter problem.

It is not uncommon for misfires to feel like a transmission problem.

How many miles on the spark plugs?

PO303 is a cylinder #3 misfire. The COP can be ruled out by switching the number 3 COP with a known COP from another cylinder and seeing if the misfire returns.

I don't leave a set of plugs in a modular engine more than 50k miles. Yes they can go 100k but in my experience once they get past 50k miles the issues with misfires, detonation and lack of efficiency start to become more prevalent. The Motorcraft COPs are pretty good and can last a very long time, people usually think the COP is bad when usually it is something else causing the misfire. Half a million miles and over two decades with modulars in my driveway and I have yet to have one need a new coil. The plug, boot/spring or fuel is far more commonly the issue than the coil itself. The boots can crack over time, allow moisture or other crud in and cause a misfire. It usually takes a pretty bad misfire to even throw a code, especially on the older modular equipped vehicles running a dumbed down OBDII system like the larger trucks. Start out with the easy stuff first, plugs, boots/spring and fuel. The fact that you finally got a misfire code leans even further away from the possibility of a trans issue.
    Last edited by dkf; 03-03-2020 at 07:19 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Battis View Post
    Here's an update. My mechanic replaced #2 and #3 coils (both showed on the scan). He replaced all the plugs and wires (no charge - they were done a year ago so he put it through on a warranty). He checked all the other coils with a known good coil (I had #4 done last year). The car runs much better, but...it still bucks at 40 MPH unless you shut the OD off to get past that speed. So, he ordered a torque converter that will be in Monday. There are no misfires now showing up on any scan (even in Mode 6). Hopefully the torque converter will be the answer.
    So far, I'm into the repairs for $300 (including the converter). That's not bad, especially if it's fixed.
    If any misfires showed up at all, I would not be looking at a torque converter just yet. Ignition is not the only way to get a misfire, especially a random misfire, which often goes away if you downshift. This can also be caused by a lean condition, something like an air leak. The torque converter might be cheap, but removing a transmission is not. It's worth asking a mechanic to have a good look over the engine with some carb spray for air leaks. Even the EGR system can fail and not throw a code, yet cause random misfires.

An air leak or fuel pressure issue usually will throw more than just a misfire code in one cylinder.

Banned
    Here's an update. My mechanic replaced #2 and #3 coils (both showed on the scan). He replaced all the plugs and wires (no charge - they were done a year ago so he put it through on a warranty). He checked all the other coils with a known good coil (I had #4 done last year). The car runs much better, but...it still bucks at 40 MPH unless you shut the OD off to get past that speed. So, he ordered a torque converter that will be in Monday. There are no misfires now showing up on any scan (even in Mode 6). Hopefully the torque converter will be the answer.
    So far, I'm into the repairs for $300 (including the converter). That's not bad, especially if it's fixed.
    Here I thought the problem was well on its way of being solved.

Boolit Master
    So did I. They changed two coils, all the plugs, and the solenoid for the torque converter (not the converter as I posted before) and flushed the transmission. It ran well for a day - no bucking- then it stalled. The code was from the accelerator actuator, which they'll replace tomorrow. I'm still not into the repair for a lot of money. The transmission place said it'd be about $1200 for the torque converter if it comes to that.

Boolit Grand Master

So did I. They changed two coils, all the plugs, and the solenoid for the torque converter (not the converter as I posted before) and flushed the transmission. It ran well for a day - no bucking- then it stalled. The code was from the accelerator actuator, which they'll replace tomorrow. I'm still not into the repair for a lot of money. The transmission place said it'd be about $1200 for the torque converter if it comes to that.
    I'm not familiar with Lincoln, is that like a throttle body, or was it the throttle position sensor? Either way, that would certainly cause a random misfire.

Boolit Master
    My 2012 F-150 developed a buck or hiccup after really warmed up pulling load of hay with 30’ gooseneck. Took to Ford dealership several times for computer testing. After a couple times not finding anything definite except 2 plug coils, took truck in with a full gas tank, just left it with them and said keep it till its fixed. 2 days later they found the high pressure fuel pump wasn’t up to specified pressure. They changed pump and been running good for past 2 years. Happy camper about $700.00 worth. Eco boost engine 6 cyl.
    Last edited by Hossfly; 03-05-2020 at 01:10 AM. Reason: Add text

Boolit Master
    I'm pretty sure it's the throttle position sensor.

Boolit Master
    2 bad coils, solenoid for torque converter, and the throttle body (not the sensor - there is a difference, right?) and it runs great.

Boolit Master
    Happy they found it.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234